Axiom Home Page
Posted By: m_underwood Axiom Audiobytes and EP0 - 09/05/08 09:18 AM
I just setup my new Audiobytes and wow. Their imaging, clarity and neutrality are far above any "computer" speakers I've heard before - completely blowing away the praised Audioengine A2s (which I really tried to like, but they just don't have enough treble detail for me). The Audiobytes even outshined the NAD 7600 + KHT 2500.2s I was using as a stopgap PC audio setup (the 2500.2s are normally my surround-backs).

The EP0 on the other hand is a huge disappointment so far. Its effect seems barely audible. Also, the "flat" and "full" settings seem to sound identical, while the "half" setting has noticeably more output. The setting knob notch also doesn't even come close to lining up with the actual indicators on the top, plus it feels just plain *loose*. Could something be wrong with mine?

Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Axiom Audiobytes and EP0 - 09/05/08 01:03 PM
From my own experiment, the EP0 works well when placed on the desk without much more distance from the listener than the M0 (which does not look very convenient for you according to the picture you nicely provided--BTW, white works well with the MAC!).

In this case, you might want to consider a small separate sub (with its own amp and controls). I am not the greatest expert in alternatives for the EP0, but there are plenty of people here who can recommend some, including the EP125 and EP175 from Axiom.

If you can place the EP0 as I mentioned above, it actually blends splendidly with the M0s. I even watched a Blu-ray movie last weekend on my PC and the desk was shaking!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom Audiobytes and EP0 - 09/05/08 01:31 PM
My EP0 is under my desk and its effect is quite noticeable. I have it set to flat.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom Audiobytes and EP0 - 09/05/08 02:19 PM
The EP0 shows itself more at higher volumes. Mine is pulled out to be flush with (or slightly in front of) the front of the desk, in the foot area. That vastly improved the sound on it. (I had had it pushed back like you have it).
Posted By: duckman Re: Axiom Audiobytes and EP0 - 09/06/08 04:15 AM
Another with the clean desk... You and Mojo should start a clean desk posse.
Nothing usefull to post, just killing time.

Nice cat, btw.
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Re: Axiom Audiobytes and EP0 - 09/06/08 01:01 PM
I see your problem. That's not an EP0, it's a cat. The bass output from cats is notoriously bad. I'm sure if you contact Axiom they will rectify the problem immediately.
Posted By: fredk Re: Axiom Audiobytes and EP0 - 09/06/08 02:20 PM
\:D
Posted By: jakewash Re: Axiom Audiobytes and EP0 - 09/06/08 04:12 PM
I agree cats are very bad at bass output, you either need a small mouth bass or large mouth bass depending on your room size and how low you want to go. The large mouth has a lower tuning point.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Axiom Audiobytes and EP0 - 09/06/08 04:20 PM
I haven't tried tuning bass specifically, but I've tuna fish.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Axiom Audiobytes and EP0 - 09/06/08 04:22 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I haven't tried tuning bass specifically, but I've tuna fish.

Time to bring this back!
Posted By: DaveG Re: Axiom Audiobytes and EP0 - 09/07/08 01:25 PM
\:D
Posted By: m_underwood Re: Axiom Audiobytes and EP0 - 09/08/08 12:38 AM
My kitten disapproves of this thread.

I've managed to increase output to satisfactory levels after some experimenting with positioning and also laying it broad-side down on the floor. The EP0 really seems to need higher volumes for the most effect. It's wobbly mode knob still seems odd to me though.

Kinda wish they had and aux-in so I could plug my notebook in at the same time.
© Axiom Message Boards