Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Chr3is Proper sub connection - 04/06/03 12:00 AM
Hi all - I've searched the archives and looked at the Axiom newsletters, but I can't quite find an answer to my question on subwoofer connections. I have a separate preamp and monoblock amps, M22ti, and a pair of EP-125s. I want to connect my subwoofers so that a full signal DOES NOT go to my main speakers

- Is this the proper way to do so? - Left preamp out, to L sub's line level in, then run a second interconnect from Left sub's line level out into one monoblock amp, repeat for right side/sub/amp? In other words, I want to connect my subs so that each bookshelf speaker is relieved from having a full audio frequency signal sent to them. Thanks for your time - Chr3is
Posted By: JohnK Re: Proper sub connection - 04/06/03 02:20 AM
Chris,your objective is correct, but you may not be able to accomplish it with your present setup. Although you haven't fully described your equipment, I'll assume that the pre-amp is stereo without any special bass management provisions. A full-range signal therefore would be delivered to the line level in of each EP125. My understanding is that the EP125 line level out is unfiltered, i.e. it sends a full-range signal out. Therefore merely connecting the EP125 outs to your monoblocks wouldn't achieve the desirable effect of relieving the M22s(and the monoblocks)of part of the bass burden; they would continue to operate full-range. One possible solution is that ACI(Audio Concepts)sells high-pass filters(nominally at 85hz)for about $30 a pair. These fit into the monoblock inputs and high-pass the signals to achieve the favorable results you want.
Posted By: Chr3is Re: Proper sub connection - 04/07/03 09:42 PM
Thankyou JohnK - I never knew such devises existed! I have contacted ACI and they are sending me a pair tomorrow. Thanks for your help!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Proper sub connection - 04/07/03 10:56 PM
Glad to help, Chris. Note that when you get the filters there's no reason to use the line out on the EP125s; the short connections directly from the pre-amp(with Y adaptors) to the now-filtered amp inputs would be used. Also, you'll have to adjust the EP125 crossover controls to blend with the roughly 85hz crossover the filters provide; probably about half way or a bit less.
© Axiom Message Boards