Axiom Home Page
Posted By: wschwartz Short stands for desktop placement of M3's - 04/22/03 01:05 PM
I'm planning to buy M3's for use in a small office. They'll have to be positioned over a built-in desk. I could wall mount them, but instead I'd like to use some short, adjustable stands to get them to the correct height. That way, I can easily experiment with different positions, which can be difficult with wall-mounting. Does anyone know if short, adjustable speaker stands of nice design are available anywhere?
I'd assume they are simply because this has to be a common request, but I've never seen them to be honest. That said, if you have access to a few tools, this would be incredibly easy to build yourself.
Posted By: alan Re: Short stands for desktop placement of M3's - 04/22/03 09:23 PM
Hi,

I haven't scrutinized the following sites for short stands, but it wouldn't surprise me if you found such things on these sites that sell speaker brackets and the like:

vogelsusa.com
btech-usa.com
omnimount.com

Regards,

Dear Alan,

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, these sites don't carry short stands (shortest seems to be about 26", much too tall for desktop use). If I can't find any suitable stands, I'll either build some or else make some temporary arrangements and then use a wall mount once I find good speaker locations. Maybe by then the Full Metal Brackets will be available...
Posted By: sushi Re: Short stands for desktop placement of M3's - 04/22/03 10:46 PM
How about using a couple of exterior or interior decor bricks?
Wood Technology speaker stands are preety short.

http://www.racksandstands.com/asp/show_cat.asp?catid=88

I've seen them used for center channel speaker stands.

Saturn
Posted By: dwm Point of reference - 04/23/03 04:03 AM
Just a reference point... I have some Middle Atlantic Edit Center desks (ELURG), and I find their overbridge height to be perfect for M3ti's and similar sized speakers (any of many near-field monitors, for example) with similar driver arrangements. It's 8" above the surface of the main desk. I don't know if an overbridge is an option for you (seems like it would be with a built-in desk unless it's too shallow), but I like the ones on the Middle Atlantic Edit Center desks because they give me quite a bit of room to move speakers around. At any rate, I'd wager you're shooting for something very close to 8" (unless you happen to be an NBA center :-)).

Posted By: dwm Re: Short stands for desktop placement of M3's - 04/24/03 07:37 AM
omnimount actually does make some short stands, but the really short ones are fixed height. If it were me, I'd try their 8" high model 200's.

See http://www.omnimount.com/product.asp?p=24

© Axiom Message Boards