Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Argon Pandora's Box - 05/02/09 07:01 PM
Are there any other threads lurking out there about excellent recordings? I am creating a quasi purchase plan as a distraction.
Posted By: fredk Re: Pandora's Box - 05/02/09 07:10 PM
\:D
Stage two in the 'Great Wait': post often in the hopes that time passes faster.

Look down two and three threads as a starter.
Posted By: Argon Re: Pandora's Box - 05/02/09 07:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: fredk
\:D
Stage two in the 'Great Wait': post often in the hopes that time passes faster.

Look down two and three threads as a starter.

Geeez! Is it that obvious? I already went through the "Stunning Recordings" and the "Great and Poor" threads. Truth is I am semi burned out on all the pop and rock that I have listened to forever and these suggestions combined with good equipment......well, I don't have to tell the Regs. Plus, I am killing time waiting for my daughter's Prom Date to show so we can do the whole picture thing..........
Posted By: Argon Re: Pandora's Box - 05/02/09 07:18 PM
One other thing....I have asked a couple of times about MP3 vs CD. No one has responded - is that a "ticklish" subject or something?
Posted By: fredk Re: Pandora's Box - 05/02/09 07:43 PM
Johnk made some good recommendations for classical stuff. I'm not sure what else is in those two threads as its been a while.

There is just so much good music out there. I picked up 3 of Johns recommended discs as well as SRV Couldn't Stand the Weather and Texas Flood based on recommendations by others here.

A couple of Jazz discs I really like are Dave Brubek Live in the UK Live in the US double disc set and Chic Corea Time Warp. I have a couple of Mike Oldfield discs on my to buy list as well Hergest Ridge and Tubular Bells.

Lots of good stuff pops up on the 'What are you listening to' thread as well.

I chuckled because I remember how much I posted while waiting for my system.
Posted By: fredk Re: Pandora's Box - 05/02/09 07:45 PM
MP3 vs CD. Alan will tell you that in blind listening tests you can't tell the difference with 128k or better mp3. I still like physical media because thats what I grew up with and I rip to flac for stuff on my computer 'just in case'.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Pandora's Box - 05/02/09 08:57 PM
I'm pretty sure Alan didn't say 128k. 128k is still pretty sorry. I'd buy 256k or 320k.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Pandora's Box - 05/04/09 03:28 AM
128K MP3's are acceptable IMO, but not nearly as good as CD. 256 and up is getting pretty close to indistinguishable from cd. I use FLAC for my streaming to the 3808 and try to keep all downloaded stuff as high as possible sometimes 128 is all I can get.
Posted By: Zimm Re: Pandora's Box - 05/04/09 03:22 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
I'm pretty sure Alan didn't say 128k. 128k is still pretty sorry. I'd buy 256k or 320k.

Agreed. I thought he said the tests showed 320 was indistinguishable from CD, not 128. It came up recently so I'm sure the tread can be tracked down.
Posted By: alan Re: Pandora's Box - 05/08/09 07:49 PM
No, no! It's 320k that the listening panels I participated in all found to be "essentially transparent". Slower data rates all produced some anomalies on critical source material. Those were graded as "annoying" "slightly annoying" "inoffensive" etc.

But 320k was generally excellent even on difficult instruments like castinets, harpsichord, and all vocals.

Cheers,

Alan
Posted By: fredk Re: Pandora's Box - 05/09/09 03:02 AM
I stand corrected. Well, actually, I'm lounging, but...
© Axiom Message Boards