Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mike romo M60 - distance from the wall? - 05/14/09 05:50 AM
hi guys-

So, I am still digging on my M60s (and my VP100) but after listening a bit to the dolbycast podcast, I am wondering if my speakers might be too close to the wall--right now they are 7" away from the wall.

I am curious if you guys have any thoughts on this. I was listening to music in a pure direct mode and it sounded great from the denon reciever (2808CI) but, you know...it's fun to tweak, even though with my carpet it's a bit of a pain to lift and move in tiny increments!

anyway, hope all is well!
best
mike
Posted By: CV Re: M60 - distance from the wall? - 05/14/09 05:57 AM
The best thing you can do is try it out and see if you like the difference. If you have the space to pull it out a bit more, I would definitely experiment. Once I move my system, I'm going to be doing a lot more trial-and-error with placement.
Posted By: JohnK Re: M60 - distance from the wall? - 05/14/09 07:15 AM
Mike, that distance from the back wall is enough to give the rear ports "breathing room". The other distance factor is to keep the distance from the center of the woofer cones to the three nearest room surfaces(two walls and floor)as unequal as possible so that reflections don't pile up at the same frequency. The distance to the back wall is now about 27" and to the floor about 19" and 12". If the side wall distance is significantly different you should be fine. You can move them a few inches to adjust the distance relationships for experimentation.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M60 - distance from the wall? - 05/14/09 05:06 PM
7" should be fine, I have mine about that distance, some have them further.
Posted By: Ascension Re: M60 - distance from the wall? - 05/15/09 04:56 PM
Hey JohnK, what do you mean by the distance to the floor? Are you saying that because you have M22's on stands?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M60 - distance from the wall? - 05/15/09 05:17 PM
What John is trying to say it is best to have the distance of your speakers different from the walls and floor, normally measured by the center of the driver.
Posted By: Ascension Re: M60 - distance from the wall? - 05/15/09 05:22 PM
Oh, I see! I didn't realize it was measured by the center of the driver. I think when I get home tonight, I might do some tweaking of my setup downstairs. Thank you sirquack!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M60 - distance from the wall? - 05/15/09 05:40 PM
I was limited since my screen is 10ft wide and my wall is 15ft wide, that only leaves 2.5ft on each side for my M80's. Plus, I toe them in a little and have bass traps in the corners. \:\)
Posted By: Ascension Re: M60 - distance from the wall? - 05/15/09 07:48 PM
That's what I'm kinda dealing with right now. I have an 8' wide screen with little room between the outside of my M60's and the wall (probably about 1.5ft at the most with a door opening on my right side to a spare room). I'm wondering if that might be messing up the reflection of the soundwaves or not.

How big are your bass traps if you don't mind me asking? Do they go from the top of your ceiling clear down to your floor, or do they stop halfway?

I do like the sound of my subs, but I know I can make it better. That's why I'm tinkering with the idea of adding bass traps to my room after I do a sub crawl. I'm always moving around my two subs though to find the right sound.

I know having tiled floors in the basement is hindering some of my sound. I threw down a few floor rugs to help out.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M60 - distance from the wall? - 05/15/09 10:03 PM
If you go to my website, I have some pics of the design of my corner bass traps and wall panels for reflections. The corner traps go from floor to ceiling.
Posted By: Ascension Re: M60 - distance from the wall? - 05/15/09 10:51 PM
You have a VERY nice setup there! Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it! \:\)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M60 - distance from the wall? - 05/16/09 12:43 AM
Thanks, those pics were taken back during Version 1 of the setup, even Version 2 with the black speakers is a little outdated. I suppose I need to take some new pics, since we have a better camera now. \:\)
Posted By: CV Re: M60 - distance from the wall? - 05/16/09 02:00 AM
Take some pictures of your new camera while you're at it.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M60 - distance from the wall? - 05/16/09 03:36 AM
I"d have to use a mirror. \:\) Nothing fancy, just a Sony cybershot 8mp.
Posted By: Zimm Re: M60 - distance from the wall? - 05/19/09 09:28 PM
I will note that above crew of misfits do know their stuff. At their urging I moved my L/R further from the corners (small room) and was shocked at how much the image, upper highs, and mid-bass all improved. Even in my small room, I have my towers about 30" from the front and about 20" from the sides. Moving them closer (from about 6-10" from each side) actually made the image wider because it decreased the mush caused by the immediate side reflection of walls 6" away from the source. Give it a try.
Posted By: mike romo Re: M60 - distance from the wall? - 06/01/09 11:55 PM
hey guys--

Thanks so much for these responses. I will do some experimenting and let you know what I find.

Sorry to be so late--I actually forgot I posted this until I was driving to work the other day and the forgot, then kept repeating that pattern until today at work.

thanks again!
mike
© Axiom Message Boards