Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CooLJ92 FM Stereo Antenna-where to purchase? - 07/30/09 08:19 PM
Does anyone know where I can purchase an FM Antenna for my receiver? I lost mine and would like to listen to my local over the air radio stations.

Any links will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Posted By: alan Re: FM Stereo Antenna-where to purchase? - 07/31/09 02:33 AM
Hi CooLJ92,

Both Radio Shack and http://www.partsexpress.com carry a selection of simple dipole (a T-shaped piece 300-ohm antenna wire) and more elaborate amplified antennas.

The amplified Terk FM antennas are only so-so in performance. You're likely better off with a simple passive dipole (Terk has a simple passive one for less than $10. For outdoor antennas, look to Winegard or Radio Shack. An indoor dipole antenna is OK for reception of up to about 10 to 20 miles; beyond that, you are into fringe reception and you'll need an outdoor rooftop antenna or one of those folding RV antennas you can mount in an attic. Directional outdoor antennas are called "yagis" and must be aimed towards the station transmitter for optimum reception.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: JohnK Re: FM Stereo Antenna-where to purchase? - 07/31/09 03:02 AM
JJ, Crane sells a nice "Reflect"(possibly designed by bbigwyrzz?)FM antenna. Of course, it's just a modification of the basic dipole that can be picked up for a few dollars at RadioShack or elsewhere, so the price is a bit steep.
Posted By: CooLJ92 Re: FM Stereo Antenna-where to purchase? - 07/31/09 03:46 PM
Thank you both for the suggestions. Much appreciated.
I usually just use a piece of old, leftover speaker wire.

Maybe 10'. I pull 2-3 feet of it apart to make a T and either drape it behind a curtain or just on the floor behind my AV rack.

I've never had a problem pulling in stations from up to 20-30 miles away.

© Axiom Message Boards