Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Listener Headphone Out not working. - 01/04/10 08:15 PM
Hey guys. My three month old son does not like it when I blast movies on my speakers so yesterday I tried using headphones on my denon 2809ci and there is no sound coming from the headphones. The headphones work fine on other sources. Is there anything I need to do on the receiver to have it send the signal to the phones? When i plugged them in the speakers went silent as expected.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Headphone Out not working. - 01/04/10 08:22 PM
You might just need to crank up the volume a lot on the volume control of the Denon until you start hearing anything especially if they are higher impedance cans.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Headphone Out not working. - 01/04/10 08:22 PM
I think you have to set down mix to stereo or simply be using the stereo feed from the player and not DD or similar.
Posted By: Murph Re: Headphone Out not working. - 01/04/10 08:24 PM
Your manual says the following, so it sounds like everything should be automatic and that you may have an actual bug or issue.

"Plug the headphones into the PHONES jack on the main
unit.
The sound from the speakers and pre-out connectors is automatically
cut."

This may sound silly but maybe make sure you are plugged into the Headphone out Jack and not the Setup Microphone In Jack.
Posted By: Listener Re: Headphone Out not working. - 01/04/10 08:35 PM
Well I will try turning the volume way up I guess. I'm definately using the headphone jack not the mic. Headphone is the 1/4 jack. maybe there is a problem with my adapter.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Headphone Out not working. - 01/04/10 08:48 PM
If your Denon's volume control starts at -80, you might not hear anything or the sound might be very faint until you get into -20 or -10 on the dial, might even need much more depending on the impedance and sensitivity of the headphones.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Headphone Out not working. - 01/04/10 09:00 PM
Is there is separate headphone settings? I never had a receiver or processor that did not have a separate "+/-" db to add or substract from the main volume.
The adapter seems to be the culprit as even at -60/-70 you would hear something. Not loud, but you would not mistake it for silence.
Posted By: alan Re: Headphone Out not working. - 01/04/10 09:09 PM
Hi Listener,

Those 1/4-inch phone adapters and jacks are notoriously unreliable. Try cleaning the contacts and wiggling the connector around if you are using the adapter. I know one of my stereo mini-plug to 1/4-inch phone plugs is always intermittent unless I clean the plugs and firmly insert it.

Regards,
Posted By: Listener Re: Headphone Out not working. - 01/04/10 09:12 PM
Thanks guys. It sounds like it may be the adapter indeed. I tried listening at -20 with no sound. If cleaning it doesn't work I'll pick up another adapter.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Headphone Out not working. - 01/04/10 09:31 PM
Hmm... reeaaaallly... I didn't know those were unreliable. That could explain a problem I had this weekend.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Headphone Out not working. - 01/04/10 09:35 PM
When you say "the headphones work fine on other sources" do you mean different pieces of equipment (like an iPod) or do you mean that the Denon provides the headphones with sound on AM/FM but not on Blu-Ray (or something)?

Is it possible that the Denon requires an analog input for the headphone jack and that the source component you are trying to listen to is only connected to HDMI or SPDIF?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Headphone Out not working. - 01/04/10 09:37 PM
I haven't encountered a receiver that doesn't just play at least the front 2 channels through the headphones, regardless of input or data type. That would seem like an odd oversight on the part of the designers.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Headphone Out not working. - 01/04/10 11:46 PM
Does the headphone work fine with other components while using the adapter?
Posted By: Listener Re: Headphone Out not working. - 01/05/10 12:53 AM
by other source I meant my ipod and PC.

It turns out it was both my adapter and my headphone extension cord. I think it's time for some good wireless headphones. Any suggestions? I think I will start a new thready for that.
Posted By: alan Re: Headphone Out not working. - 01/06/10 02:58 PM
Hi kcarlile,

Yes, it's just a spring-loaded mechanical connection inside the adapter or inside the receiver, and they oxidize and get dirty or dusty.

My mantra for using those headphone connectors/adapters is: "When in doubt, shove it in and out."

Cheers,
Alan
Posted By: Murph Re: Headphone Out not working. - 01/06/10 04:44 PM
OK. you are just trying to set us up now! heh heh.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Headphone Out not working. - 01/06/10 05:16 PM
And this would apply to, say, a 1/4" unbalanced input jack as well?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Headphone Out not working. - 01/07/10 03:39 AM
Sure, Ken; inserting the plug throws a mechanical switch, redirecting the power output.
© Axiom Message Boards