Axiom Home Page
Posted By: tigerguy Marantz Receiver? - 01/05/10 03:23 AM
I am putting together a stereo system. I have done a lot of searching and reading of many reviews on speakers. I have narrowed it down, and plan to purchase the M3's.

The next step is looking for a stereo receiver. I was leaning towards the HK 3490, when I stumbled on the Marantz SR-4023. I like it because it has 3 audio outputs. The Marantz also has Tone Control, whereas the HK does not. I find it interesting that I cannot find any reviews on Marantz period, never mind the SR-4023.

Another concern is the wattage (HK 120 - SR-4023 80). If I understand correctly though, the 40 watt difference is only a couple of dB's, so it should not be that noticeable.

If any one here has had experience with Marantz, or specifically the SR-4023, I would like to hear you comments.

I would appreciate any insight you guys may have.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Marantz Receiver? - 01/05/10 04:01 AM
Check out the Sherwood Newcastle stereo receiver available here at Axion. It's withing that price range.

Concerning the tone control, it has bass and treble boost options. See page 8 of the manual. http://www.sherwoodamerica.com/site/service/manual_dis/RX-770.pdf

Concerning the HK, there are bass and treble tone controls on the front panel. See manual, page 23. http://www.harmankardon.com/resources/Br...NERS_MANUAL.pdf

Posted By: JohnK Re: Marantz Receiver? - 01/05/10 04:07 AM
Tiger, welcome. Yes, the difference between 80 and 120 watts is only 1.76dB in maximum loudness capacity(e.g., a brief split-second peak could be played at 106.76dB compared to 105dB). If you prefer the features of the Marantz(but as Rick points out, the 3490 also has tone controls)you shouldn't hesitate to choose it because of a small difference in maximum power output(which might never be put to use).
Posted By: Wid Re: Marantz Receiver? - 01/05/10 04:26 AM
The H/K does indeed have tone controls. If you look at the owners manual on page 23 it says "You may boost or cut either the treble or the bass frequencies by up to 10dB."

It also has plenty of inputs. You can use any of the inputs for what ever source you want.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Marantz Receiver? - 01/05/10 05:34 AM
Hello Tigerguy

I think Axiom's M3s are their best speakers for a 2.1 channel system. Over the years both Harman Kardon and Marantz have made some wonderful amplifier/receivers.

Speaking from personal experience I can tell you that a pair of M3s a good sub and a fine integrated tube amplifier is about as good as it gets.

I used an Antique Sound Labs MG S1 15DT integrated amp, a quick Velodyne sub and enjoyed about the best - that is, sounded like live - music I've ever heard while sitting on a couch.

G'luck
Posted By: tigerguy Re: Marantz Receiver? - 01/10/10 12:07 AM
Thank you for the correction on the Tone Control. I guess I have been looking at too many options and got confused.

Thank you JonhK for the watts information. I was looking for that level of detail. Now I know for sure that I won't let the difference in wattage be the deciding factor, thanks again.

I am still interested to hear from anyone who has had experience with Marantz, or specifically the SR-4023.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Marantz Receiver? - 01/10/10 12:17 AM
Marantz is made by D&M holdings, parent company to Denon, if that makes a difference to you.
Posted By: audiosavant Re: Marantz Receiver? - 01/13/10 02:17 AM

Posted By: alan Re: Marantz Receiver? - 01/13/10 04:23 PM
Hi all,

And according to my engineering source, Denon, Marantz, and Sherwood Newcastle all come out of the same factory. That does not mean they use identical circuitry or design.

Marantz, like many of the older brands dating back to the early days of hi-fi, in the 1960s, has had a checkered history. Some of the early Marantz gear that Saul Marantz designed is really gorgeous, well designed and very collectable.

Saul Marantz sold the company and it went through a period of cheap, down-market stuff, even boom boxes, from which it has never fully recovered.

In recent years, Marantz has attempted to upgrade its equipment and resuscitate its high-end image from the Saul Marantz days.

Regards,
Posted By: jakewash Re: Marantz Receiver? - 01/13/10 06:34 PM
 Originally Posted By: alan

In recent years, Marantz has attempted to upgrade its equipment and resuscitate its high-end image from the Saul Marantz days.
I would agree with that statement. It appears to me that Marantz is kind of marketing itself as an upper end Denon, ala Lexus to Toyota.

Quote:
And according to my engineering source, Denon, Marantz, and Sherwood Newcastle all come out of the same factory. That does not mean they use identical circuitry or design.
I agree as well, but they are all more than capable of driving 4 ohm loads across their entire line up which leads me to believe there is more than just the same parent company behind and inside them.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Marantz Receiver? - 01/13/10 06:43 PM
More like Maybach to Mercedes, given Denon's pricing...
Posted By: jakewash Re: Marantz Receiver? - 01/13/10 06:51 PM
Agreed
Posted By: fredk Re: Marantz Receiver? - 01/16/10 12:23 PM
 Quote:
marketing itself as an upper end Denon, ala Lexus to Toyota.

Ooooh! Do they have a leather front console option?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Marantz Receiver? - 01/16/10 10:47 PM
Maybe a leather wrapped remote \:\)
Posted By: tigerguy Re: Marantz Receiver? - 02/10/10 03:30 AM
Well, I did it. The M3's have been ordered.

I was able to hear a Marantz Amp. It looked and sounded very nice. The problem is, they showed me how great music sounds in surround. I will use my present Onkyo for now, while I research which A/V Receiver would be best for me.

I decided I didn't want to wait on the M3's, I can enjoy them while I shop for a receiver.

Counting the days.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Marantz Receiver? - 02/10/10 03:43 AM
Congrats, tigerdude!!
Posted By: CV Re: Marantz Receiver? - 02/10/10 05:42 AM
I keep thinking of getting some M3s just to hear what they sound like.
Posted By: Murph Re: Marantz Receiver? - 02/10/10 04:51 PM
If you are quiet and place your ear near the port, you can hear the Axiom factory.
Posted By: tigerguy Re: Marantz Receiver? - 02/11/10 01:55 AM
Cool! I guess that can be the first thing I try after I take them out of the box.
© Axiom Message Boards