Axiom Home Page
Posted By: TonyMc Buffers? - 04/27/10 09:20 PM
Does anyone here use a buffer? particularly a tube buffer?
I want to pick one up to run inline with my CD player.
I want to mess with different tubes. See what kind of sound I get.
Posted By: RickF Re: Buffers? - 04/27/10 09:38 PM
You may want to give one of these guys a shout, sounds like there's some experienced tube buffers in there...

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthre...&gonew=1#UNREAD
Posted By: TonyMc Re: Buffers? - 04/27/10 09:43 PM
Thanks Rick.
That thread seems to go off in all kinds of different directions. \:\)
Posted By: RickF Re: Buffers? - 04/27/10 09:44 PM
As most seem to do.
Posted By: TonyMc Re: Buffers? - 04/27/10 10:44 PM
Well it's been pretty slow here at work today so I did some research on this little unit I found: Yaqin tube buffer
I think I'll give it a whirl.
Posted By: TonyMc Re: Buffers? - 04/28/10 04:05 PM
Man this is some sort of addiction.
I ordered the Yaqin buffer yesterday and now I'm already looking a few replacement tubes to try.
This whole thing started last Aug with a HTiB. LOL \:\)
Posted By: Murph Re: Buffers? - 04/28/10 04:07 PM
Think of us as your support group. Except we are doing it wrong.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Buffers? - 04/28/10 04:10 PM
LOL Andrew!
Posted By: TonyMc Re: Buffers? - 04/28/10 04:14 PM
 Originally Posted By: Murph
Think of us as your support group. Except we are doing it wrong.

As long as you say it's OK... I'm OK.
Posted By: a401classic Re: Buffers? - 04/29/10 01:24 AM
 Originally Posted By: TonyMc
Does anyone here use a buffer?

OK, late to the game, but couldn't resist..

I use three buffers; pH = 4.01, pH = 7.00, and pH = 10.02. makes a nice 3 point calibration.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Buffers? - 04/29/10 01:52 AM
Very good, Scott; at least in chemistry the buffer helps keep the ph accurate, while in audio a tube buffer makes the sound less accurate.
Posted By: TonyMc Re: Buffers? - 04/29/10 02:18 PM
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
Very good, Scott; at least in chemistry the buffer helps keep the ph accurate, while in audio a tube buffer makes the sound less accurate.

But is that necessarily a bad thing? It's well known that tubes color the sound and I don't think anyone would argue that, but I think coloration could be good or bad depending on taste.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Buffers? - 04/29/10 02:51 PM
It's not a bad think if it makes you smile.
Posted By: TonyMc Re: Buffers? - 04/29/10 03:53 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
It's not a bad think if it makes you smile.

I will keep an open mind. When the buffer gets here and I roll the 6j1 tubes for the JAN-GE 5654W I'll give my honest opinion good or bad after some burn in time.
Posted By: Murph Re: Buffers? - 04/29/10 04:27 PM
I'd be interested in hearing both your immediate opinions and then your opinions after the 'burn in time'.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Buffers? - 04/29/10 04:33 PM
Likewise. I didn't realize that a) such things existed or b) they were so inexpensive.
Posted By: TonyMc Re: Buffers? - 04/29/10 04:51 PM
 Originally Posted By: Murph
I'd be interested in hearing both your immediate opinions and then your opinions after the 'burn in time'.

Murph. This is my first piece of tube gear so I'm definitely no expert.
I don't buy into the whole "burn in" thing when it comes to SS gear or cables, but from what I read(and you can take it with a grain of salt)tubes do benefit from burn time(extended usage to a point) and it makes sense. Or maybe I took your post the wrong way? \:\)
Any way... I'll use the 6j1 and the JAN-GE 5654W and report back if interested.
Posted By: Murph Re: Buffers? - 04/29/10 05:05 PM
Actually I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. Not that I never can be. \:\)

We do however have a lot of interesting discussions around here about the limits of auditory memory, burn in, and many other topics so I can't say that these things were not also being debated in my mind.. However, tubes are a different beast that I am very unfamiliar with thus I was generally interested.
Posted By: TonyMc Re: Buffers? - 05/01/10 07:44 PM
since starting this thread I have found a ton of info on this little buffer from other forums.
Seems to be a heated subject to say the least.
Anyhoo. I picked up a couple of different tubes(JAN-GE 5654W/Mullard CV4010) to roll.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Buffers? - 05/01/10 11:38 PM
Tony, regardless of what others think, you can try the tube buffer out in your system and see if it makes a difference. No matter what, it is a relatively small investment you put into it. Years ago, I started with a buffer as the first piece of tube equipment. Since then I've added more.
Posted By: a401classic Re: Buffers? - 05/07/10 03:02 AM
I wonder what this would do for my bass [guitar] amp (Ampeg BA115T)?

Of course, I got it for the warm tube sound...

Scott
Posted By: alan Re: Buffers? - 05/07/10 01:44 PM
Hi,

Yes, the generous "fat" harmonic distortion that tube guitar amps generate has always been preferred by most rock guitarists. Tubes are also subject to microphonic feedback caused by actual acoustical vibration of the glass tube itself. If you want to hear some of that, just flick one of the tubes with your fingernail (not too hard!). You'll hear it in the guitar amp's speaker.

Of course it's all part of the distortion/feedback rock guitar sound.

Alan
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Buffers? - 05/07/10 04:02 PM
...but I like it.

Posted By: TonyMc Re: Buffers? - 05/07/10 07:59 PM
Well I wish I could give you guys an informed mini review on this buffer, but it's still sitting in customs in Seattle(4 days now).
I do however have the new tubes(JAN-GE 5654W and Mullard CV4010)all ready to go.
To go along with what Alan said. A guy here in the office plays the guitar and has a very nice Peavy tube amp that uses the KT77 JJ tubes from Eurotubes. Very cool sound.
© Axiom Message Boards