Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme How absurd is this? - 07/02/03 06:52 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/07/02/popsci.stereo.kill/index.html
Posted By: pmbuko Re: How absurd is this? - 07/02/03 06:56 PM
Extremely! I mean, copying and pasting links is, like, sooo 2001! :P

For the lazy:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/07/02/popsci.stereo.kill/index.html
Posted By: pmbuko Re: How absurd is this? - 07/02/03 07:00 PM
As if a "vintage" Dodge Caravan needed any help rattling itself to pieces (-- spoken from experience).
Posted By: Ken.C Re: How absurd is this? - 07/03/03 02:42 AM
Extremely absurd. Gawd. Well, at least they don't thump down the street (most of them...)
Posted By: alan Re: How absurd is this? - 07/03/03 03:50 PM
Hey, ridiculous. You do realize that during the Vietnam war, there was serious research by Pentagon types on a high-decibel type of super subwoofer--I think the operating frequency was between 6 and 12 Hz--that when aimed at the advancing army was so loud it would cause them to, er, um, void their bowels, thus incapacitating the enemy.

Perhaps further research is in order for upcoming sound-offs. . .

Regards,
Posted By: spiffnme Re: How absurd is this? - 07/03/03 04:39 PM
That sounds like a better idea than the current "shock and awe" method using MOAB's.
Posted By: sushi Re: How absurd is this? - 07/03/03 05:20 PM
I think the conventional wisdom is that bass sounds don't have directionality whatsoever. Correct?

So... I see ONE problem on the super subwoofer as weapon: How the heck do you "aim" the subsonic sound to the enemy, without also exposing the friendly to the same powerful bowel-emptying effects?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: How absurd is this? - 07/03/03 05:54 PM
I think you'd have to leave it in a hidden area and have it set off by shi-- I mean trip wire.
Posted By: Huffer Re: How absurd is this? - 07/03/03 05:55 PM
Didn't Southpark do an episode similar to this? Where the kids were trying to recreate the noise at a huge recorder concert?
I didn't know Southpark was so educational
Posted By: alan Re: How absurd is this? - 07/03/03 06:14 PM
Hi sushi,

Yep, I think that's why the project was abandoned. What happened to the good guys in the field, let alone the troops operating the equipment?
Posted By: JohnK Re: How absurd is this? - 07/03/03 06:31 PM
However, Masa, although several billion tax dollars were expended on the project, you'll be happy to learn that it didn't go to waste. The general in charge happened to be an audio enthusiast and the sub is now in his home system, playing at appropriately lower levels.
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: How absurd is this? - 07/04/03 04:01 PM
Quote, "I think the operating frequency was between 6 and 12 Hz--that when aimed at the advancing army was so loud it would cause them to, er, um, void their bowels, thus incapacitating the enemy."

I think I saw this on South Park! Kenny was trying to find it on a his recorder. It worked!
Posted By: OGS20 Re: How absurd is this? - 07/04/03 05:45 PM
I think I saw this on South Park! Kenny was trying to find it on a his recorder. It worked!

--

Actually, for those who need to know I'm 99% sure they changed the score of the music they were going to play, and the "concert" was broadcasted worldwide on TV.
Posted By: rcvecc Re: How absurd is this? - 07/04/03 06:27 PM
i think my mother-in law could beat that by about 5db.....ron
© Axiom Message Boards