Axiom Home Page
That everyone here enjoys listening to music is a moot point. I'd like to know how you do the majority of that listening.

You know, this is a tough question...

I certainly try to listen on-axis when I seriously listen to my favorite music. But then, I almost always leave the music on (usually the classical FM station) whenever I am at home. So, with respect to the absolute cumulative amount of time for music listening, I have to say that it is more often off-axis.
Same here, only instead of radio, I mostly listen to mp3 mixes off my iPod. Only when my wife is not home and the house is empty do I get to devote my entire attention to the music.
It took a long time for me, after first getting the M60s, to be willing to leave the sweet spot. Like watching a big game and not wanting to miss a second of the action, I sat there and went through disc after disc. Can't do that forever though.
I suppose, believe it or not, Peter, that I do a lot of my listening (on the rare occasions I listen) on axis, usually while reading. Of course, that's easy with my setup, unlike yours ;-), since I've got the couch in the "sweet-ish" spot. However, total listening time would be wandering around, or doing dishes. Or sitting in the car.
I mostly get to listen only on weekends as its a 11 hour workday. Working in the house, I leave the music on and keep doing all the housework. I spend perhaps 10% of my listening time on-axis. But its pretty interesting to see that the poll actually shows more people listening off-axis. So I wonder why we still take so much time off to audition speakers, imaging, soundstage, etc. :-)
In reply to:

So I wonder why we still take so much time off to audition speakers, imaging, soundstage, etc. :-)

C'mom, Aqua!

Even if I had a chance to listen on-axis only for 30 minutes per week, I would quest for imaging and everything just for the enjoyment of that precious 30 minutes...
I know Masa, same here. Even I spend just about 30 minutes a week on an average stationary in front and listen well. In the end.....it was worth the effort. But I still can't help wonder how MUCH time we spend in our quest for that "perfect" sound.
Oh, but it's worth it. It is BECAUSE I listen mostly away from the sweet spot that I invest(ed) time and energy into calibrating and arranging my M22s to their optimal positition. After getting to used to how great the M22s sound off axis, I like to wow myself regularly by hearing them at their best.

I love it when a "must-have-sweet-spot!" favorite song comes on and I walk into the living room from across the house and slowly take a seat in front of the M22s. The transformation that occurs in the music still gives me goosebumps.
© Axiom Message Boards