Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Clovis Stereo Amplifier for the M3v3 - 11/18/10 06:00 AM
Hello Everyone,

Its amazing, I became a member of this site, since somewhere in 2003 and I've occasionaly popped in to take a look. I've just ordered the M3v3 from the auction site and can't wait to hear them perform.

I have been missing the stereo sound ever since I sold my Denon stereo amp (PMA500ae), to make way for Denon's HT AVR (1707 which I replaced with the 3310). I currently use Def Tech's BP6B as the front speakers as well other Def Tech's for my HT. I currently switch between using my Acer PC (itunes - fiber optic - Dolby 5.1 to 7.1) as a player and I have been happy with the performance, but I do think that stereo is in a separate category.

I am going to put the M3s in my bedroom... I'm going use my Denon DCD700AE as a player but I now need to purchase a stereo int amp or a pre/power amp combination... would welcome everbody's recommedations.. is the pre/power amp option overkill for the M3s? What would be the best wattage power for these speakers?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Stereo Amplifier for the M3v3 - 11/18/10 06:47 AM
Clovis, welcome back! We've been wondering where you were the past seven years. You'll certainly enjoy the M3s in your bedroom setup, and as to powering them, there're so many excellent choices that it's hard to go wrong. If you really want only a 2-channel unit, the HK3490 stands out. Actually, though you can just as well use a Denon or other HT receiver for just two channels, which are every bit as good as the two in a stereo unit. Any of those rated anywhere in the 100 watt/channel area should be more than enough for your use. Enjoy.
Posted By: Clovis Re: Stereo Amplifier for the M3v3 - 11/18/10 07:49 AM
Hi JohnK,

HK3490 appears attractive price & feature wise - not sure about its performance...the thing is I wouldn't be happy having a receiver, would prefer a dedicated stereo amp with less features- no FM, no digital inputs, no treble / bass knobs - just two RCA L+Rs, you know a simple, relevant amp which can drive these speakers well...
Of course it would also have to be affordable for me...I guess I'm looking for one in the $500 - $1000 range... a work colleague suggested I take my axiom's to the shop that sells the Naim Nait 5i but it might be expensive for me.
Also isn't it a clear thumb rule that pre/pow combination is an unregretable option...even if slightly more than a preamp. Any body got suggestions on budget pre-power amps...
Posted By: JohnK Re: Stereo Amplifier for the M3v3 - 11/18/10 08:31 AM
Clovis, there's no such rule-of-thumb which has a factual basis. There's simply nothing to support a claim that a "simple" integrated pre/power combination somehow is audibly better than a receiver loaded with bells and whistles. If the amplification takes place with audibly flat frequency response and inaudibly low noise and distortion, which is commonplace in even modestly-priced receivers these days, nothing more is possible in the amplification process.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Stereo Amplifier for the M3v3 - 11/18/10 12:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Clovis
Hello Everyone,

Its amazing, I became a member of this site, since somewhere in 2003 and I've occasionaly popped in to take a look. I've just ordered the M3v3 from the auction site and can't wait to hear them perform.

I have been missing the stereo sound ever since I sold my Denon stereo amp (PMA500ae), to make way for Denon's HT AVR (1707 which I replaced with the 3310). I currently use Def Tech's BP6B as the front speakers as well other Def Tech's for my HT. I currently switch between using my Acer PC (itunes - fiber optic - Dolby 5.1 to 7.1) as a player and I have been happy with the performance, but I do think that stereo is in a separate category.

I am going to put the M3s in my bedroom... I'm going use my Denon DCD700AE as a player but I now need to purchase a stereo int amp or a pre/power amp combination... would welcome everbody's recommedations.. is the pre/power amp option overkill for the M3s? What would be the best wattage power for these speakers?

If your heart is set on a stereo amp, one still available out there, although it is a receiver, is the Outlaw R2150 which is very highly thought of and within your price range. In checking their site recently, I noticed one in B-Stock which ran $625(normal price $699). It might be worthwhile checking it out.
Posted By: Clovis Re: Stereo Amplifier for the M3v3 - 11/18/10 02:12 PM
Thanks JohnK & Casey01 for your replies.

I clearly won't be going for a receiver... not with the choice of radio channels here... and also because it does not suit my purpose. I'd prefer audio from original audio cds. I am going to be reviewing the stereo amps of the denons, cambridge audio & Rotel as a start... they have been given good reviews at whathifi.com as well as being on the low cost side. I understand after discussing & researching information from people is that there are some stereo integrated amps which perform considerably better than some pre-pow amp combinations, but only if you have the money you can go for a high performing pre/power amp combo...my only doubt is how much should I spend on the amp in relation to the speaker... my guess is that a 100 watt amp is more than enough for the M3s so I should try for a lower one...since this is for a small bedroom. I'll also check out the NADS...
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Stereo Amplifier for the M3v3 - 11/18/10 04:31 PM
It seems like integrated amps are not as common any more. Too bad. I rather liked that combination.

When reading the thread, the brands that came to mind for me were NAD and Cambridge, so I am of no help frown I think that Marantz also makes integrated amps, and that Onkyo has a couple of digital integrated amps.

It seems like there are a lot of very excellent non-HDMI pre-amps on the used market right now, but your location probably limits your access to vintage gear.

As an aside, I participated in the blind test at Axiom in September which we later learned was the M3v3 v. B&W Nautilus 805. It was a very interesting exercise, and it really increased my appreciation for the M3. I think you will be very happy.
Posted By: Clovis Re: Stereo Amplifier for the M3v3 - 11/22/10 01:55 PM
I was hoping for more inputs... seems like the recession has affected the audiophile community or maybe some are right... there might be some stereo receivers / integrated amps shich could be better than a pre-pow combo.

I did find some non hdmi amps on the local used market... but I guess I was looking for a pew/pow combo... have my eye on the rotel rc06 & rb06 combo... appears affordable for a new piece (showroom)

Am glad to learn about using your stereo power amps in bridged mode - for bi-amping.. something the rotel does
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Stereo Amplifier for the M3v3 - 11/22/10 07:21 PM
I paired my M3Tis with a 5 watt per channel Single End Triode Antique Sound Labs MG S1 15DT integrated tube amplifier and a Velodyne subwoofer. For a source I mostly used an Ah upgraded Njoe Tjoeb CDP with tube output section.

The combination is incredibly good. This modest array of components made for one of the best sounding 2 channel sound systems I have ever heard.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Stereo Amplifier for the M3v3 - 11/22/10 07:59 PM
Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
This modest array of components made for one of the best sounding 2 channel sound systems I have ever heard.

Yeah, but you think your TV sounds fantastic and is throwing sound behind you, so what do YOU know? smile
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Stereo Amplifier for the M3v3 - 11/22/10 08:25 PM
OK, so, I'm easily fooled. For a while, I thought the TV sound was somehow exciting the back and side surround speakers. But then I realized, that's not likely, and confirmed it was the Mits that fooled me with an 'audical' illusion.

I'm a good driver.
Posted By: Clovis Re: Stereo Amplifier for the M3v3 - 11/24/10 03:01 PM
What is your view on tube amps compared to solid state amps? What benefit does it have a over solid state ones.

I was thinking of going for the rotel pre-pow combo which will enable me to by amp the m3s the rc06 and eventually two rc0b's.

http://www.rotel.com/UK/products/ProductDetails.htm?Id=45
http://www.rotel.com/UK/products/ProductDetails.htm?Id=41&Tab=1&Pic=1

Would welcome everyone's feedback... I have ben also tempted to go for a stereo int amp like denon's 710ae or 1500ae
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Stereo Amplifier for the M3v3 - 11/25/10 05:07 AM
Clovis, I have a bunch of amps, most solid state, one tubie. I have a different system in every room without a bathtub. All these amps sound great. However, after listening to them over a long period of time I favor some over others.

My favorite is the Antique Sound Labs MG S1 15DT 5 wpc SET tube amp. (Thank you Tosh for sending the replacement output terminals) I've used it with M3s, M2s, M22s, Michaura M55s (modded), Michaura M66s (modded) M50tis and Dahlquist DQM 905s. The competition: Yamaha M80, Kenwood KA9100, Harman Kardon PM 665.

Magic with the M3s, also with the Axiom-like Michaura M55s, and M66s.

The M3s are very easy to drive. Interestingly, the M22s are not.

The 5wpc SET tube amp just cannot get the M22s to open up. On the other hand, although all the above solid state amps sound great with the M22s, I like the Harman Kardon best.

Does that mean that an A/B test would tell the difference between the solid state amps? No. However, living with them for a while will.
Posted By: Clovis Re: Stereo Amplifier for the M3v3 - 12/03/10 01:55 PM
I decided on purchasing the Rotel RA06SE. It's a stereo integrated amp, 70 watt, 0.3 THD etc etc
I paid 3600 UAE dirhams for it which is I think US$970. Great amp with those blue night lights for late night listening...well sometimes I wish I could turn off the lights, but they aren't really distracting. I don't require to turn up the volume a lot just a quarter is enough for I guess a small room with a 4-5 feet listening distance I think... is that too close...I don't have spealer stands so they are on the egde of my study desk(ex), as wide as the desk permits.

This amp has numerous ventilation slots on top so I'd be scared to sneeze in front of it.

I saw through the ventilation slots a neat lable with some pen made comments in small letters... gives that designer feeling or quality check concious manufactured device image. Its made in China BTW.

While listening to some music for the past few days I discovered that a soundstage is possible in the making, with more dedication.

Music is much more enjoyable, and the setup kind off pulls me into taking it seriously... this is a serious musical sound... it says either listen to me properly or don't. A good amp for those looking for beautiful looking, not so popular (unique) amps.

But the new system sound tells me which CDs are good sources and which are not... I guess maybe because of the extra attention to listening

Live music sounds excellent on this.

But I realised now that the M3 is now sadly.. not enough for a serious audiophile stereo system.... got to get M60s or 80s or some other tower for that, with the usual pre & pow combo. Didn't really realise it at the time.

I think I would sell my old BP6Bs and replace them with the M3s on stands or maybe reuse them as stereo spekers in the living room.

Boy do I have problems.
Posted By: Philippe Re: Stereo Amplifier for the M3v3 - 12/04/10 01:48 AM
I had a combo Naim Nait 5i and CD 5i for a while with a pair of M3 v2 and i can tell you that was a incredeble match.

GL with Rotel smile
Posted By: Clovis Re: Stereo Amplifier for the M3v3 - 12/10/10 07:07 PM
Naim Nait 5i was recommended by whathifi as well as an audiophile colleague but I couldn't afford it :-(
Not yet ready for that big plunge. I still have to buy some stands for the M3s, being slightly cautious with spending.

I did place them on some low sitting stools, and placed them in area free of any close furniture, sounded right for the money.

Now to get stands, maybe a nice small rack, power strip ........

The never ending stow-oreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....
© Axiom Message Boards