Axiom Home Page
Posted By: tehghost132 Finally got my speakers! - 12/01/10 10:46 PM
Waited around the house all day for the Fedex truck. A pair of M80's with an EP350.

Finally got them and hauled them into my room for hookup (I already had a receiver and the wires all ready to go)

Well I plug them in and no sound is coming out. Maybe I hooked something up wrong? I check all the connections, everything is good to go. Still nothing. I pull out the receiver manual and start looking at that.

About this time, my room-mate (Who knows alot more about audio equipment than I do) comes back from work. He was about as excited as I was to get the speakers. Well he turns to receiver up to about 60 and we can hear stuff, but its so quite.

We both fiddle with the receiver for awhile to no avail. Eventually I just grab the other receiver that I have and it works fine right off the bat. So I guess I have to return the other receiver, or atleast call some tech-support (they didnt answer the phone today).

So onto the speakers, THEY SOUND GREAT! Now I dont have alot to compare these to, since they are more or less my first pair of high quality speakers, but so far im really impressed! I cant find my HD audio cables, so right now its hooked up with component, but even without the cord it sounds great!

Im only expecting them to get better when I get the correct cords.
Posted By: Kruncher Re: Finally got my speakers! - 12/01/10 11:25 PM
Regarding the receiver, it's not uncommon to have low volume (barely audible) until you crank up the volume.

My Onkyo starts at about -80 iirc, but I've got it set to power up at -40, and normally listen to TV shows at about -20. -10 is plenty loud for my little room of about 1800 cubic feet.

Don't give up on the receiver without cranking up the volume to get more power to those speakers.

At first I wasn't overly thrilled with my M22s to be honest, but it turned out that I simply hadn't given them enough juice! They came brilliantly alive when they got more power.
Posted By: tehghost132 Re: Finally got my speakers! - 12/01/10 11:31 PM
Maybe ill give that a try tomorrow. For now, ill just enjoy listening to them smile
Posted By: jakewash Re: Finally got my speakers! - 12/01/10 11:52 PM
Yup, the new thing with volume is '0' is reference (around 105db peak for movies) so a -30 is about average listening level.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Finally got my speakers! - 12/01/10 11:54 PM
Wait, reference is 105dB now? I remember when it was 70dB. Yeesh.
Posted By: Wid Re: Finally got my speakers! - 12/02/10 12:28 AM
It's 105 peak
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Finally got my speakers! - 12/02/10 12:28 AM
Yeah, I know, I just wanted to grumble. Grumble grumble.
Posted By: Wid Re: Finally got my speakers! - 12/02/10 12:31 AM

Craba$$ smile
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Finally got my speakers! - 12/02/10 12:33 AM
Rick, Ken prefers "Mister Grumpy Pants"
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Finally got my speakers! - 12/02/10 12:51 AM
like on Finding Nemo, lol
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Finally got my speakers! - 12/02/10 01:58 AM
welcome ghost.

You should consider posting some pictures of your new speakers... wink
Posted By: tehghost132 Re: Finally got my speakers! - 12/02/10 02:37 AM
Ah, I would but my rooms a complete mess (Bachelor pad).

Plus, the room they are in is not nearly ideal. Its just a small bedroom. When I move and put them in the living room ill show some pictures smile
Posted By: JohnK Re: Finally got my speakers! - 12/02/10 03:06 AM
Ghost, don't worry about the cable; a component cable is a "correct" one. It's the same coaxial cable with RCA plugs on the ends that the "HD audio" cable is.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Finally got my speakers! - 12/02/10 04:12 AM
Cheaper receivers start at Zero and go to 100 or so. The Sony I originally bought last year was like that.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Finally got my speakers! - 12/02/10 04:14 AM
And to think I paid for an expensive receiver that barely goes out of the negative. Man I got ripped off...
Posted By: tehghost132 Re: Finally got my speakers! - 12/03/10 04:23 AM
Found out I have to return my receiver. Something is soldered wrong I guess, which is why the volume was really low and it was cutting out. Hopefully I can return it. I have the warranty info but not the original packaging.

Will probably be relocating the speakers to the working receiver until it gets fixed/replaced.
Posted By: tehghost132 Re: Finally got my speakers! - 12/10/10 10:15 PM
Sent my other receiver back and got my new one today. Have everything hooked up with the correct wires and positioned and set to my liking.

Loving life laugh
Posted By: merchman Re: Finally got my speakers! - 12/10/10 10:18 PM
Perfect timing! Now you can rock on all weekend.

Enjoy!
Posted By: jakewash Re: Finally got my speakers! - 12/11/10 12:17 AM
Nothing like some good news before the weekend smile
© Axiom Message Boards