Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Inniswhe Seeking Advice for Family Room - Sorry long - 04/16/11 04:18 PM
I am about to order my first axiom speakers for my renovated family room. I have an Onix Melody Tube amp and play through a squeezebox to my family room presently. I currently have some sealed full range DIY CSS Fr125 speakers installed in the shelving of a TV cabinet in one half of the space. (I have a pdf sketch of the layout but I don't know how to post).

I removed a wall separating a family and living room so we now have a larger L shaped family room with only colums separating the formerly 2 spaces.

I plan on having two sets of speakers in the space each set serving one half but only play one set a time typically depending on where we are seated . I will use an external A/B switch. I plan to have a sub that is shared as well.

For the TV viewing side (20x13)I plan to replace the DIY speakers with some Axiom M2 inwalls that I will build into the existing TV cabinetry for a clean look with grilles painted to match woodwork. I would use the regular M2 bookshelf speakers but these are actually in a bookshelf which I do not believe works well.

For the second set serving the other half of the space (13x13) I am trying to decide between M3 in wall , M3 inwall /Onwall hybrid, and M22 inwall/Onwall hybrids. This is the primary listening area.

My questions are :
1. Will it matter much sound quality wise which I pick in this set-up considering that I will be playing with a sub ? The inwall M3's would be the most wife friendly so I am leaning that way but my desire for optimum sound has me wanting the M22 hybrids ? I listen to everything from Jazz to bluegrass to Zeppelin.

2. What would be a good axiom Sub recommendation for this set-up considering these are for 2.1 channel audio only.

Any comments are appreciated.

Ross

since you have a sub, I would suggest the M22's. I have not heard them, but understand that they provide similar detail as my M80's, just lacking the bottom end which your sub can handle.
Posted By: bdpf Re: Seeking Advice for Family Room - Sorry long - 04/16/11 05:33 PM
I also vote for the M22s, specially since you have a sub, they have a flatter frequency response and will be more accurate. I would only consider the M3s if no sub would be used.
As for the sub, since it's only for music and from the music type you mentioned, I would say a EP350 should be enough. Of course, if you can afford the EP500, more is better smile
oops, didn't read the whole thing and thought you had a sub. I am pleased with my ep500, but the ep350 would likely do the job just fine. My vote goes towards either one of those.
Thanks for the feedback. If I go with the M22's and a sub, would the inwall version be just as good as the on/in wall version ? The M22 is quite a bit larger so having it recessed with help with the wife acceptance .\
Originally Posted By: Inniswhe
would the inwall version be just as good as the on/in wall version ?

I believe the only difference between the two would be lower frequency playback resulting from a different cabinet size. But, the specs for both have the same lowest number frequency response of 22 kHz, so I'd suspect there's no difference. The in-walls do have a 10 kHz increase on the high frequency response, though (70/60 - 22kHz vs. 60/50 – 22 kHz).

Others that are more knowledgeable than me will chime in, but that's the way I understand things. Hopefully I'm not giving you incorrect information.
Hey guys, can someone correct me because upon further research I think I'm incorrect with my understanding of the frequency response (I have it backwards?).

Is it correct that the in wall/on wall speakers can play deeper because the first number on the frequency graph (60 Hz – 22 kHz) in 10 Hz lower than the on walls (70 Hz – 22 kHz)?

If you can inform me of the correct way to interpret it, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Yes, Cam; your previous reply had it backwards. The high frequency extension spec is identical at 22KHz, while the low frequency extension for the in/on wall is better by 10hz.
Thank you, John.

Cheers.
Another question - Regarding the M2's planned to be installed in a TV cabinet.

Can anyone comment on the sound quality of the standard bookshelf design in that type of installation. It would be easier and provide some future flexibility if I used the regular bookshelf design instead of the in wall I was considering for that location.

I know the bookshelf speakers are supposed to sound best on stands a few feet in front of a wall but will they be really compromised much if they are placed on a shelf ?
With the bookshelf M22's being rear ported I don't think you would want to place them on a shelf if the area behind it was tight or closed in. Someone else who has the m22's can likely provide you with better advice though.
Posted By: Jc Re: Seeking Advice for Family Room - Sorry long - 04/17/11 02:55 PM
Hi Ross,
Axiom's Audio Expert - Alan Lofft - has written a very informative article on this subject - Why Wall Units are the Enemy of Loudspeakers
If you're set on having them "in a cabinet", I'd definitely get the inwalls rather than the bookshelves.
© Axiom Message Boards