Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Milford3 Tube amp for M22's - 04/25/11 06:23 PM
I'm considering buying a mini tube amp for the M22's. What wattage should I be looking for to drive the M22's to their fullest?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Tube amp for M22's - 04/25/11 06:27 PM
How much are you willing to spend on a tube amp?
Posted By: Milford3 Re: Tube amp for M22's - 04/25/11 06:30 PM
Up to $400.00 I found this one, MP-301 MK-2, But is the wattage enough as far as tube amps go?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Tube amp for M22's - 04/25/11 06:43 PM
Hi Robert.

I tried to drive a pair of M22Tis with a 5 wpc SET tube amp. It was not a successful mating. What is interesting is that most of the time my amp is putting out less than 1 watt at normal listening levels. For some reason, unlike the M3s, the M22s need more juice. I have no idea why.

My tube amp is rated at 15 wpc in pentode mode. Still did not sound right.

I'd go with a 25 wpc or higher tube amp to go with the M22s, but that's just extrapolating from my unsatisfactory experience with a lower power tube amp.
Posted By: Milford3 Re: Tube amp for M22's - 04/25/11 07:00 PM
I had a hunch that 6.5 watts would not be enough. The 22's are very power hungry. I'm currently using the h/k 645 AVR to run a 7.2 setup. I want to add a separate amp to run the 22's alone.
The 645 does have preouts to add the amp. Thanks for the great advice.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Tube amp for M22's - 04/26/11 01:11 AM
What about setting up a near-field, stereo computer setup incorporating the tube amp, M22's, a Behringer UCA 202 USB DAC and a pair of quality headphones?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Tube amp for M22's - 04/26/11 01:26 AM
Well, seems to me that if you're going to go the headphone route you won't need the M22s. I like phones, but I can tell you that a pair of M22s, a 10" sub and a decent amp will fill a room with beautiful music, if beautiful music is your preference.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Tube amp for M22's - 04/26/11 01:29 AM
Disclaimer: I have never heard one.

I would look at Glow Audio. They have one in your price range that has been well reviewed. It looks good and only uses 4 tubes so it won't cost a fortune when it come time to retube. It also uses EL84 output tubes which historically have been a really good sounding tube in push/pull applications.

I don't know if it will match well with the 22's but it would be worth exploring.

Good luck. Tube amps are lots of fun and I hope you get lots of enjoyment from whatever amp you go with.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Tube amp for M22's - 04/26/11 01:36 AM
Bob, the M22s aren't "power hungry"; they're at the average point for speaker sensitivity. To allow for the 105dB level set as the maximum "reference" in movies would require about 100 watts in a typical room at home at a typical listening distance of about 10 feet. A similar amount of maximum power capacity would be needed for brief peaks in highly dynamic music recordings, such as some classical items.

Any of the usual receivers having a rating anywhere in the 100-150 watt area would be ample for this.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Tube amp for M22's - 04/26/11 01:45 AM
But he wants a tube amp not a usual receiver. Let's help him. smile
Posted By: JohnK Re: Tube amp for M22's - 04/26/11 01:50 AM
Chris, the main point is the power requirement, which doesn't vary with the amplifier technology. He wants to know how many watts are necessary.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Tube amp for M22's - 04/26/11 02:12 AM
Bob, you may want to contact some local audio shops which carry tube amps. They may have a used one and could demo it for you. If you go used, you should make sure the transformers are in good shape - absence of hum.

Although some disagree, in my opinion, a good tube amp, especially a Single End Triode type, just sound beautiful with the right speakers. The M3s are an easy load for a low power tube amp. I do not know why the M22s should present a more difficult load (their sensitivity rating is about the same) but they just do, or at least the pair I had did.

Tubes not only sound great, they also glow in the dark.

Some tube amps which I've heard and like very much:

Jolida, Antique Sound Labs, Prima Luna, Cary, Hafler, some older ones: Dynaco, The Fisher, H. H. Scott, Harman Kardon.

Good luck!!
Posted By: jakewash Re: Tube amp for M22's - 04/26/11 02:18 AM
I'll take a guess and say the reason the M22s like a little more power might be due to the ~2ohm reading in the impedance curve around 4khz at least there was that dip on the older M22Ti's and I believe on the v2s as well..
Posted By: JohnK Re: Tube amp for M22's - 04/26/11 02:27 AM
Jason, of course the effect of a lower impedance at certain frequencies is to require less, not more, power at those frequencies.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Tube amp for M22's - 04/26/11 02:38 AM
Yes, but due to this ease of power flow it would be easier to hit max output with a low power amp and there is usually more distortion at max output. I think for for most people this would be viewed as the speakers require more power to avoid this situation.
Posted By: davidsch Re: Tube amp for M22's - 04/26/11 05:02 PM

Audiogon listing

You might want to look at this amp listed on Audiogon. Cayin has a pretty decent reputation but I have not heard this model. I am not affiliated with this seller.
Posted By: davidsch Re: Tube amp for M22's - 04/26/11 05:04 PM
Cayin amp

Fixed the link.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Tube amp for M22's - 04/27/11 02:06 AM
I have heard that Cayin's are good too. One thing about buying amps. Are parts and service going to be available?
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Tube amp for M22's - 04/28/11 02:57 PM
Posted this elsewhere too. If you are looking for a tube sound, you can get it if you have a tube preamp instead of a tube amplifier. That way you don't have to worry about finding tubes with the power to drive speakers to their full potential.

I have a DAC with an optional tube preamp output and it adds some of the tube "magic" I like hearing. Always an option to look down that route. Plus, getting a tube preamp/DAC means you can use it for almost any setup, including headphones smile
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Tube amp for M22's - 04/28/11 07:07 PM

For example a headphone amp like this above can also act as a tube preamp in a stereo speaker setup.
© Axiom Message Boards