Axiom Home Page
Posted By: dvw m2 vs m3 - 09/09/11 06:53 PM
I want to set a system in my living room for music only. If I will be using a subwoofer, is there any advantage to M3 over M2 bookshelf speakers?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: m2 vs m3 - 09/09/11 08:14 PM
M2 with subwoofer should be superior to M3. M3 better without subwoofer.
Posted By: bridgman Re: m2 vs m3 - 09/09/11 10:39 PM
You should definitely get flatter response with M2 vs M3 if using a subwoofer. That said, it's possible the M3s might be able to play more loudly if that is a factor.

M2s with a 100 Hz crossover can do a pretty impressive job though.
Posted By: solarrdadd Re: m2 vs m3 - 09/10/11 12:40 AM
i currently for my bedroom have 3 M2v3 speakers for front's and they are incredible. when listening to 2 channel with a sub the M2's do a great job. I know how this sounds but at times they challenge my M80's (exaggerating a little)until you get to some real deep low end stuff then they get smoked!

I'd go with the M2's and a sub, no question as I'm constantly reminded and surprised at just how great those M2v3 speakers sound. adding them to my bedroom was the best thing i've done in quite a while!

Oh yeah, I've got a pair of M2's that i'll be using in the basement and yep, with a sub!
Posted By: JohnK Re: m2 vs m3 - 09/10/11 02:01 AM
DV, welcome. With a good sub handling the bottom two octaves(20-80Hz)the M2 is a superb speaker for musical enjoyment. It is somewhat more accurate than the M3 in the upper bass/lower mid-range.
Posted By: fredk Re: m2 vs m3 - 09/10/11 02:18 AM
If you go the M2 route, let us know how it works out.

I use them as dual centers to good effect. I took them to my brothers a while back to try out in stereo. Except the weak bass, they are an amazing sounding speaker.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: m2 vs m3 - 09/10/11 02:23 AM
If your going to crank it up now and then, get the M3's, you can add a sub later.
Posted By: fredk Re: m2 vs m3 - 09/10/11 02:27 AM
Originally Posted By: SirQuack
If your going to crank it up now and then, get the M3's, you can add a sub later.

If you're going to crank it, get the M80s. Just sayin'...
Posted By: bridgman Re: m2 vs m3 - 09/10/11 04:45 PM
I should probably mention that there seem to be a lot of people running M2s with a sub very happily (including me) while I don't know many running M3 with sub... so my comments about being able to play more loudly with M3s than M2s are guesses based on driver size / efficiency / power handling more than "known from experience".

I ended up moving from M2+sub to M60 without sub for a while because I wanted to sometimes turn up the volume to a level where the M2s were uncomfortable (in my case it was Heart's "Mistral Wind" that the M2+sub couldn't handle cranked up to 11). M60s handled the content & volume just fine, of course.

I don't expect that M3 + sub would have performed the same way, for what it's worth.
Posted By: Cork Re: m2 vs m3 - 09/10/11 05:07 PM
I'm running an M3 with a sub. It's actually in my son's room and I went that way to play to his type of music (classic rock). It sounds a bit "heavy", but works very well in that context (he's very happy with it). If I were looking for the classic neutral Axiom sound I'd go with the M2. I should mention that I don't have the M2, but I have the M22, so I'm using those for my comparison.
Posted By: MarkyM Re: m2 vs m3 - 09/21/11 01:37 PM
I am using a pair of M2v3's as nearfields with a cheap BIC 10" active sub on my recording/mastering DAW computer rig with fantastic results.

Amplification is via a fully restored classic (circa 1978) Kenwood KA-8100 integrated amp.

The M2's IMHO are reference quality to my ears and are as good or better than any "pro" studio monitors I have ever heard.

The great thing too about the M2's is their natural bass rolloff so that I do not need to use the crappy high-pass output of the sub's crossover to feed the M2's. I simply feed the M2's in parallel to the sub which uses it's internal crossover LPF-only for itself.

--MM--
© Axiom Message Boards