Axiom Home Page
Swing, Opera...

I was watching a show on the history of heavy metal and its was fascinating how deep and rich the history of metal is and how many genres of music shaped metal and its sub-genres in what it is today.

Here is an early example with Sabbath.

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/view/87000/Black%20Sabbath-Black%20Sabbath_Gustav%20Holst-Mars,%20the%20Bringer%20of%20War/
There was an article in the paper the other day mentioning an 11 part series on the history of heavy metal; I believe the first episode was to be aired yesterday.
A VH-1, six part series on the History of Metal was done (pretty well) about 2 or 3 years ago.

Is this totally new? Sounds interesting.

Can't remember if they included that the very first Grammy for Heavy Metal went, much to their shock, to Jethro Tull. Nominating Cmte. a bit outta touch? Huh?
IIRC it was called something like the Evolution of Metal or Evolution Metal. Like the title suggests they were going through all the influences of metal - classical (Paganini, dissonance), blues (Howlin` Wolf, guitar riffs), jazz (Buddy Rich), swing, opera (80's), rock'n'roll (The Kinks, Elvis, The Who, The Beatles etc). I've seen a few metal documentaries but never this one but it was narrated by the same guy in the other ones I have seen. I didn't know The Kinks got their distorted guitar sound on You Really Got Me by taking a razor blade to the woofer on the amplifier.
You were very close it is Metal Evolution
© Axiom Message Boards