Axiom Home Page
Posted By: PerfectDrug Real Wood Finishes - 01/15/12 04:02 PM
I'm thinking about my first Axiom purchase, an EP125 subwoofer for my bookshelves. The real wood sounds very nice. How does it look and sound, and is it worth the extra money?
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Real Wood Finishes - 01/15/12 04:05 PM
It will not sound different. It is a thin piece of wood adhered to MDF. It will look real nice. The vinyls look real nice too.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Real Wood Finishes - 01/15/12 04:18 PM
How big of a room are you putting this EP125 in, and what are your expectations from it?

Anybody reading this use an EP125? What are your experience with this unit? I'm just curious because I upgraded from and EP175 to an EP350 before I found what worked for me.
Posted By: PerfectDrug Re: Real Wood Finishes - 01/15/12 04:24 PM
Right now it will go in a small apartment size living room, but eventually an open concept living room of about 11'9 x 11'9. It will be strictly for music purposes. Would this sub be large enough?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Real Wood Finishes - 01/15/12 04:28 PM
Having no experience with the EP125, I can't say for sure. It is designed for small rooms, but not for loud volume levels. I would be looking at the 175, or even the 350 instead. 175 has a much smaller box if that's what you're looking for. For top loudness levels you'd want the 350. Say 70-100db range. Under this the 175 would probably work ok.
Posted By: PerfectDrug Re: Real Wood Finishes - 01/15/12 04:32 PM
I plan to get the M80s down the road, so a sub to compliment those would be nice. Again, both for music listening not HT.
Posted By: PerfectDrug Re: Real Wood Finishes - 01/15/12 04:34 PM
Thinking maybe the 125 is too small then. Or how about dual 125's, if not a 175?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Real Wood Finishes - 01/15/12 04:37 PM
Originally Posted By: PerfectDrug
I plan to get the M80s down the road, so a sub to compliment those would be nice. Again, both for music listening not HT.

In that case, I'd get the EP350 as the minimum sized sub. It would work well with any of Axiom's speakers. If you want to spend less than that, then others here have purchased subs from other mfgs. that work well with their Axiom setups.
Posted By: PerfectDrug Re: Real Wood Finishes - 01/15/12 04:39 PM
Do you have the wood or vinyl finish?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Real Wood Finishes - 01/15/12 04:40 PM
Thinking maybe the 125 is too small then. Or how about dual 125's, if not a 175?

I'd stay away from the 125. I think you would be dissapointed in anything but the smallest of applications/rooms. When I think 125, I'm thinking along the size/power range of a good PC speaker setup.

The 175 is a better option, but I doubt it'd keep up with the M80's. It's better suited to the M2/M3/M22 sized speakers.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Real Wood Finishes - 01/15/12 04:43 PM
Do you have the wood or vinyl finish?

Most of mine are vinly. Only the M2 that I've placed over the center of my TV is real wood. Personally, I prefer the real wood finishes.

My subwoofer is the EP350 and it's covered with Cinnamon Beech vinyl. It goes naturally with my wood floors.

Click on my sig link to see.
Posted By: PerfectDrug Re: Real Wood Finishes - 01/15/12 04:45 PM
Originally Posted By: CatBrat

I'd stay away from the 125. I think you would be dissapointed in anything but the smallest of applications/rooms. When I think 125, I'm thinking along the size/power range of a good PC speaker setup.

The 175 is a better option, but I doubt it'd keep up with the M80's. It's better suited to the M2/M3/M22 sized speakers.

Good point. I think I may have to save up for the EP350 now. It looks like a beast of a sub.
Posted By: fredk Re: Real Wood Finishes - 01/15/12 05:35 PM

I'd stay away from the 125. I think you would be disappointed in anything but the smallest of applications/rooms. When I think 125, I'm thinking along the size/power range of a good PC speaker setup.

CatDude is right.

So, What kind of music are you listening to? Unless it is music with considerable content below 35 Hz, a sub will add nothing to a pair of M80s. On most of the rock/pop/Jazz music I listen to, I can't tell the difference between M80s alone and M80s with my EP350 (I've done the comparison several times). Now, put on something like one of Bach's organ pieces and the sub contributes significantly to the music.

Some of the instruments that I know that can play below 35 Hz are: Upright bass, electric double bass, bassoon, Tuba, piano (not sure how often those lower registers are used), synth. There are probably a few others.

Considering the cost of the EP125/175 I would think about going directly to the M80. UNLESS you listen to music that has a significant contribution from the types of instruments I listed above. In that instance, I would go to the EP350 now and The M80s when the time is right.

On the real wood, it depends what you are after. The vinyl finishes are very, very good. But... if you want speakers that make you go WOW when you look at them, real wood is worth the money. I simply didn't have the money when I picked up my system.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Real Wood Finishes - 01/15/12 05:51 PM
That's right. I hadn't thought of that. M80's by themselves have been reported to be very musical, so a subwoofer might be money wasted. Just save for a pair of M80's instead.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Real Wood Finishes - 01/15/12 09:14 PM
Money is always a consideration but I have to tell you that I'd never go back to vinyl. Hard to explain but it just "looks right".
Posted By: PerfectDrug Re: Real Wood Finishes - 01/15/12 09:28 PM
Originally Posted By: fredk

I'd stay away from the 125. I think you would be disappointed in anything but the smallest of applications/rooms. When I think 125, I'm thinking along the size/power range of a good PC speaker setup.

CatDude is right.

I listen to a lot of electronic music....downtempo, trip hop, dubstep, etc. Maybe a better option would be saving for a set of M80s. I wasn't sure of the impact they would have in the bass department, but seems like it would be more than enough. My little bookshelves are lacking right now but guess I can wait.

So, What kind of music are you listening to? Unless it is music with considerable content below 35 Hz, a sub will add nothing to a pair of M80s. On most of the rock/pop/Jazz music I listen to, I can't tell the difference between M80s alone and M80s with my EP350 (I've done the comparison several times). Now, put on something like one of Bach's organ pieces and the sub contributes significantly to the music.

Some of the instruments that I know that can play below 35 Hz are: Upright bass, electric double bass, bassoon, Tuba, piano (not sure how often those lower registers are used), synth. There are probably a few others.

Considering the cost of the EP125/175 I would think about going directly to the M80. UNLESS you listen to music that has a significant contribution from the types of instruments I listed above. In that instance, I would go to the EP350 now and The M80s when the time is right.

On the real wood, it depends what you are after. The vinyl finishes are very, very good. But... if you want speakers that make you go WOW when you look at them, real wood is worth the money. I simply didn't have the money when I picked up my system.

Posted By: PerfectDrug Re: Real Wood Finishes - 01/15/12 09:29 PM
Originally Posted By: FordPrefect
Money is always a consideration but I have to tell you that I'd never go back to vinyl. Hard to explain but it just "looks right".

What stain-grill combination did you go with?
Posted By: PerfectDrug Re: Real Wood Finishes - 01/15/12 09:32 PM
Saving for a set of M80s might be a better option. I listen to a lot of electronic music...downtempo, trip hop, dubstep, etc. I was wondering if they M80s would have enough bass, but looks like they do.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Real Wood Finishes - 01/16/12 04:01 AM
Originally Posted By: FordPrefect

What stain-grill combination did you go with?

Cherry/Chestnut semi gloss with a black grill. Same combo as my M3s, EP350 and VP150 looks stunning. Guess I'll have to sell the VP150 now.
Posted By: INANE Re: Real Wood Finishes - 02/28/12 07:21 PM
I'm planning on adding some M80's to my system... debating if it would look funny to have vinyl surrounds and real wood fronts.

Thoughts?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Real Wood Finishes - 02/28/12 07:42 PM
Unless you have a pretty non-standard installation where the surrounds are not mounted on the walls, I don't think it would be weird at all. Most people don't spend a lot of time looking at the surrounds, they are pretty small, and they don't have very much woodgrain exposed, anyway.
Posted By: INANE Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/01/12 04:41 AM
That's what I was thinking myself. Unfortunately I'm going to be spending about as much as I can just to get some M80's, I'm not sure I can justify adding another ~500 to make em even prettier.

frown
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/01/12 05:15 AM
I think it will be fine too. How about this psychology:

People see the wood floor standers and assume the surrounds are wood finished too.

Anyone figures out the truth you bop em over the head.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/01/12 03:49 PM
There are no matching options between wood and vinyl. This applies not only to Axiom speaker cabinet finishes, but to the remainder of the universe as well.

"a little snotty,"??? HA!

Kidding aside, you may get close if Amie advises you on which options are closest to each other.

i.e. Axiom's clear finish maple veneer and the maple vinyl look very different. By comparison, the plastic, er, I mean vinyl, looks more like pickled maple. Also, once the wood color begins to change with age, the vinyl won't being following suit.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/01/12 04:07 PM
bad bad bad
Pickled, indeed.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/01/12 04:09 PM
You guys have talked me into it: I'm going to get pickled this afternoon!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/01/12 05:15 PM
You guys talked me into it: I'm going to pickle someone this afternoon!
Posted By: SBrown Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/02/12 12:21 AM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson

Good plan!
Posted By: merchman Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/02/12 12:26 AM
Originally Posted By: SBrown
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson

Good plan!

I'll second that! grin
Posted By: INANE Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/02/12 06:06 AM
My existing QS4's are Boston Cherry. Planning to move those to the rear and get some QS8's for the sides. Man, I really would like to get the M80's in real wood...

frown
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/02/12 04:35 PM
Does anybody have first-hand experience with the Vermont Maple custom vinyl?
Posted By: merchman Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/02/12 04:50 PM
I have a pair of M3's that are Vermont Maple.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/02/12 05:02 PM
Sounds like Tom is weighing some purchases..... smile
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/02/12 05:02 PM
Tom, if you get a 160, I will, too.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/02/12 05:28 PM
I have Vermont Maple. It looks a lot like Boston Cherry, but a little less dark and a little less red.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/02/12 05:30 PM
Sounds like a girl friend of mine.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/02/12 06:13 PM
I think Boston Cherry is a pole dancer in Bob's neck of the woods...
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/02/12 06:52 PM
Yeah, Mark, but not very seriously. Too many other things coming up, but the VP160 and VP180 do make my VP100 seem kind of quaint.

The web page depicts Vermont Maple vinyl as basically "dark brown", which is kind of what I'm looking for. We have a couple of dark oak pieces we like.

I guess the question - for those of you that have it - is, how does your perception of the actual finish compare with the depiction on the website?

Thanks. Appreciated.
Posted By: CV Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/02/12 07:00 PM
I currently have a sample of it. As I said, I actually like it a little more than the real wood walnut with caramel stain. However, I don't think I like it enough over the Boston Cherry to pay the slight premium, not when weighing in the fact that I have all four EP800s in Boston Cherry, which I won't be replacing anytime soon.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/02/12 07:10 PM
It's completely different from the website picture. It's a dark reddish brown. I'd suggest getting a sample before you buy.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/02/12 07:15 PM
Thanks, guys.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/02/12 07:16 PM
Let me rephrase. The example on the M3 is egregiously inaccurate. The little swatch is closer to real.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/02/12 07:28 PM
I kind of expect a certain number of things in my daily life to be egregious, now.
Posted By: merchman Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/02/12 07:58 PM
Tom, here is a pic of the top of my Boston Cherry M3 and the Vermont Maple on the right. Does seem to be a little different than on the products page. I really like the Vermont Maple.

Here is another shot.

And, one more.

Not sure if this helps. Probably best to get a sample and check it in your home.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/02/12 08:17 PM
That REALLY helps, Ed! Thank you so much!
Posted By: SBrown Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/03/12 01:45 AM
CV, how in the heck did you end up with {four}of the 800's? crazy
Posted By: CV Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/03/12 04:51 AM
Originally Posted By: SBrown
CV, how in the heck did you end up with {four}of the 800's? crazy

Sick obsession? Ask JP.
Posted By: Spoiler Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/03/12 10:56 AM

Thanks merchman! I've never seen a vinyl/wood comparison like that before. In my view the pics also speak to the quality of the vinyl. No wonder one would be hard pressed to tell the difference!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/03/12 01:42 PM
That's not vinyl/wood, that's vinyl/vinyl.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Real Wood Finishes - 03/04/12 05:37 PM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I kind of expect a certain number of things in my daily life to be egregious, now.

Late bloomer!
© Axiom Message Boards