Axiom Home Page
Posted By: PerfectDrug M60's on carpet - 03/29/12 12:53 AM
Soon I will be recieving my set of oak M60's. Right now I have pretty plush carpet in my living room. I am wondering if the standard rubber feet will be sufficient to keep the speakers secure? Or should I order a set of spikes?
Posted By: dakkon Re: M60's on carpet - 03/29/12 01:00 AM
do you have any animals, or small kids?

If either of these answers is no, then the rubber feet will work just fine. I have had my M60's in several different rooms over the years, some with plush carpet and i never had a problem with the rubber feet... If you do use the spikes, and the speaker tips, the spike probably wont be able to take the side load and break... I know from experience........
Posted By: PerfectDrug Re: M60's on carpet - 03/29/12 01:04 AM
Originally Posted By: dakkon
do you have any animals, or small kids?

If either of these answers is no, then the rubber feet will work just fine. I have had my M60's in several different rooms over the years, some with plush carpet and i never had a problem with the rubber feet... If you do use the spikes, and the speaker tips, the spike probably wont be able to take the side load and break... I know from experience........

We have one lazy cat. I don't see him jumping on top but you never know. Are the spikes interchangeable with the rubber feet?
Posted By: 1sweetspot Re: M60's on carpet - 03/29/12 01:05 AM
yep
Posted By: RickF Re: M60's on carpet - 03/29/12 01:19 AM
I've always had my 80s on carpet with the rubber feet, and use U.S. quarters to level them.
Posted By: PerfectDrug Re: M60's on carpet - 03/29/12 01:58 AM
Maybe I'll try the rubber feet first and see how they do.
Posted By: dakkon Re: M60's on carpet - 03/29/12 02:16 AM
You should be fine, i have used the rubber feet for all of my speakers.

I have a 100 LB German Shepherd as well as a 60lb shepherd... They play in the family room, which is the same room my HT resides... They have only knocked 1 of my m60's over 1 time... btw, if your tower does happen to get knocked over, being on the carpet there would most likely be no damage done.
Posted By: SBrown Re: M60's on carpet - 03/29/12 03:28 AM
Outriggers would be nice for the M80's, more than once I go by them and they want to hug me.
Posted By: Murph Re: M60's on carpet - 03/29/12 12:12 PM
Our two cats jump up on the M60s all the time, despite me chasing them off. It's been years now and no tip overs with rubber feet on hard floors. I've seen a scary wobble a couple of times though.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: M60's on carpet - 03/29/12 12:41 PM
I think it's totally dependent upon how plush the carpet/underlayment is.

I've seen carpeting that's so squishy, nothing tall is secure on it!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M60's on carpet - 03/29/12 12:43 PM
I have some of the Soundocity outriggers. I don't know if they're strictly speaking worth the money, but they certainly do an excellent job at preventing my M80s from tipping, even under the influence of XTREME TODDLERS.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: M60's on carpet - 03/29/12 01:49 PM
just glue lots of those old silver thumb tacks to the top of the speakers. That should cure the cat jumping problem.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: M60's on carpet - 03/29/12 03:25 PM
I've got a solution. This device is easy to make yourself. You just need a few basic supplies:
  • a thin piece of plywood to serve as the backing material
  • a copper sheet
  • four screws
  • glue
  • lamp cord
Here's the assembly procedure:
  1. Cut the plywood into a square about the same size as the top of your speaker.
  2. Cut four squares of copper small enough to cover most of the plywood but to leave some room in between each piece.
  3. Glue the copper to the plywood.
  4. Take the lamp cord and separate both the negative and the positive side into two separate strands, for a total of four strands of wire.
  5. Screw the negative ends of wire into plates diagonal from each other. Screw the positive ends to the remaining diagonal plates.
  6. Place your new Cat-Zapper on top of your speaker and then plug it in.

Really, you can use this to protect any horizontal surface from naughty felines.

Posted By: Adrian Re: M60's on carpet - 03/29/12 05:14 PM
I'm shocked!!
Posted By: fredk Re: M60's on carpet - 03/29/12 08:14 PM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Really, you can use this to protect any horizontal surface from naughty felines.

I'll bet you can also use it on errant dogs, cows and small moose.
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: M60's on carpet - 03/29/12 09:57 PM
I need one of those for the planter along the front of my house. The neighbours cat is using the planter as a litter box mad
© Axiom Message Boards