Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mrspeeed Banana jacks - interesting story. - 05/27/12 03:00 AM
So in 2004 Cayman was hit with a cat 4 or 5 (depending on who you talk to). I had lost all me av equipment, which was under 6 feets of ocean water, and every thing else I owned - but it was insured so no worries.

Interestingly as I tried to salvage some things I did save the monster cable banana jacks that I could find. I was just reading a post on speaker wire and it made me think about them. I was showing these to my wife the other day and they litterally look as if I bought them yesterday. I've bought a lot of items from various places (from "high end" shops to monoprice). I don't like to overpay and try not to fall prey to marketing and hype but these things litterally went through a hurricane unscathed.

FYI after hooking up the monoprice banana jacks and testing with the monster cable I couldn't tell the difference. I don't know if the monoprice gear can go through a huricane though???
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Banana jacks - interesting story. - 05/27/12 10:43 PM
Mr,
I used to buy those, but the price! I have switched to Neutrik which I feel has a very solid connection but only cost a couple of dollars.
Posted By: mrspeeed Re: Banana jacks - interesting story. - 05/27/12 11:00 PM
Yep, I was young when I bought them. I generally go with other items now. But it is interesting to see how they held up. I also forgot to add I did have some other company (Accoustic Research perhaps?) which had to be thrown out.
Posted By: Gary Vose Sr Re: Banana jacks - interesting story. - 05/27/12 11:21 PM

FYI after hooking up the monoprice banana jacks and testing with the monster cable I couldn't tell the difference. I don't know if the monoprice gear can go through a huricane though???

I bet if you would have attached the gear to a flotation device they would have come through swimmingly.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Banana jacks - interesting story. - 05/28/12 01:57 AM
I'm ashamed to say how many I bought......about $100 bucks worth.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Banana jacks - interesting story. - 05/28/12 02:10 AM
I think the monoprice plugs are very impressive, love them for my system.
Posted By: Murph Re: Banana jacks - interesting story. - 05/28/12 02:49 PM
Interesting story though. Hurricanes are 'usually' mostly dead by the time they get this far North but a few have been scary by our standards. Glad to hear no one was hurt. Possession loss is never fun though.
Posted By: mrspeeed Re: Banana jacks - interesting story. - 05/28/12 11:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph
Interesting story though. Hurricanes are 'usually' mostly dead by the time they get this far North but a few have been scary by our standards. Glad to hear no one was hurt. Possession loss is never fun though.

What was funny was me throwing my panny DVD-A player off the balcony to break into it to get my Metalica Black Album DVD-A out. I got it out and it worked for a while but I ended up having to replace it. I still have it as I can't stomach throwing it out.
© Axiom Message Boards