Axiom Home Page
Posted By: JohnK Dvorak "Shootout"! - 06/12/12 01:31 AM
"Shootout" is in quotes because that term isn't really used in comparing classical recordings, but I thought I'd add a bit of drama. Last Saturday's "Building a Library" segment of the BBC Radio 3 CD Review program had a rather fascinating comparative listen to recordings of the beautiful Dvorak Cello Concerto which I've suggested here several times as a must. This is available on-demand for five more days at the BBC iPlayer site here . Of course I won't reveal the "winner" now; you'll enjoy listening to the 45 minutes or so of comparison samples(beginning about 30 minutes into the program with a fast-forward)from as much as 80 years ago.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Dvorak "Shootout"! - 06/12/12 03:32 AM
Thanks, John! That was very informative and a fun listen. I especially like the comparative listenings--really highlights the diverse interpretations of pieces and different styles of playing.

I managed to pick up one of your recommended CDs of Dvorak's Cello Concerto and it turned out to be a fine choice. Really is a beautiful piece.

According to the BBC program, Dvorak's initial notes called for a faster tempo, but I find myself still preferring the somewhat slower pace.
© Axiom Message Boards