Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Theschneid Left speaker issues - 11/04/12 02:30 PM
So I seem to have damaged my left speaker... It's an m60 v2 I believe. The tweeter and top mid cone are putting out no sound. Anyone have any idea if that could be a driver? Or did I actually blow 2 cones at the same time? My preamp has been having some issues itself but ive tested other input sources and skipped the preamp so i know thats not the problem. Also does anyone know if axiom sells parts? Or do I have to ship them the entire speaker? If I have to ship them the whole thing it seems like it might be just as affordable to just buy 1 speaker for $560.
Posted By: SBrown Re: Left speaker issues - 11/04/12 02:44 PM
Get ahold of Axiom, they will take care of you, and yes they will ship you just the drivers.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Left speaker issues - 11/04/12 02:51 PM
Swap your left and right speakers to verify that it is indeed the speaker and not something in the electronics.

But yeah, call Axiom if you do verify it's the speaker.
Posted By: alan Re: Left speaker issues - 11/04/12 03:00 PM
Hi,

Follow Mark's advice on switching the speaker channels to make sure it's not your electronics that are at fault. The drivers are easy to change out if indeed you've damaged the drivers. You mentioned your preamp, but what amplifier are you using to drive the M60s, and what is the rated power output per channel into 8 ohms? Is it solid-state?

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Left speaker issues - 11/04/12 06:26 PM
are the binding straps secure between the speaker terminals on the M60's?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Left speaker issues - 11/04/12 07:33 PM
Ohhhhh... good question!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Left speaker issues - 11/05/12 01:07 AM
Yeah, the binding straps are the first thing to leap to mind in this situation.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Left speaker issues - 11/05/12 02:50 AM
Dave, welcome. As both Randy and Ken point out, the strip connecting the top and bottom terminals may have come loose(e.g., through vibration)and left the top section(mid-range and tweeter)unconnected to the receiver if the speaker wire is attached to the bottom terminal. Although it's possible for two drivers to fail simultaneously, it's unusual.

Check for a tight connection and also try connecting the speaker wire to the top terminal if it's now on the bottom.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Left speaker issues - 11/05/12 03:08 AM
I would also suggest swapping the drivers from the good speaker into the dead one, this will verify if the drivers themselves are gone vs. the crossover.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Left speaker issues - 11/05/12 11:52 PM
Dave has vanished. smile
© Axiom Message Boards