Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BobKay My new Haut-Parleu de Perfromance Superieures - 02/13/14 03:27 AM
If you're thinking about M100's, save your money.

When I ordered them, I told Brent I wasn't even going to ask about delivery schedules. They'd get here when they got here. They're veneer, and a new model, so I didn't have any eager anticipation. Plus, I was dreading moving everything in the shed to get to the M60 boxes to send 'em back, so I forgot about it.

Somewhwere around the end of week 6, I got so busy with, like, everything, that it wasn't until a week later that I got Noreen's "announcement" and thought about them again. It's sort of like the Annunciation, but there aren't any virgins, angels, trumpets, or heralders; no one gets pregnant, and no gods are involved. It's just an email, although it could have a herald, right? And it's the same message I got when I ordered the last time. That was exactly 4 years ago. If it is now seen as "tradition," then I will leave it at that, knowing that top mgt. @ the company is in Tom's demographc and, therefore, resistant to change.

From the date I ordered until they arrived was almost 8 weeks, which was a couple weeks more than I had imagined, but, hey, whaddya gonna do, buy crap just cause it can get to your house faster than the good stuff? We ain't talkin' a Russian bride from some "...stan" here! This is fine audio! In wood, YCB's!
UPS and I had some miscommunication and they were not being held at a nearby facility for me to p/u. They were coming directly to my door and no one could be here.

4 years ago Fed Ex left boxes (in which were M60's/vp150/ep500,(4)QS8's) at our garage door and scrammed. It was raining and I happened to hear the truck's engine blast down the street. Of course he pissed off. There was a hole in the ep500 carton that loooked llike it had been hit by a Fiat. All ended up OK that time, sort of.

As "luck" would have it this time, I actually woke up that day and was too sick to leave the house, for real. I felt awful.

The 100's arrived at 11. I heard the "back-up-beep-beep" of a truck, looked out and saw the UPS truck. I opened the garage door and started down the driveway, (our house sits on a little knoll--not as big as, say, like, the Daly Plaza Grassy Knoll) with my 2 wheeler. Seeing the rear door was fully open, I walked to the back of the truck, only to see the UPS guy with an M100 carton on his shoulder. I was smart enough to know from what height off the street he may "lay down" that box. I scrambled up the drive to sort of, umm, you know, like, wrest it from Moose's grappling hooks before I get to SEE any damage actually take place. With the packing, the boxes each weight over 80 lbs. That's a long bag of Portland cement.

I offered the 2-wheeler for the 2nd box, but he wasn't having any of that and bounced it up on his shoulder. (I'm thinking, "OK, I'm impressed with that, but if you DO have a wife, I know how you got her, only what's in that box is far more deilcate than any beast of a "flower" you've ever managed to carry off.") I was standing inside the garage with one box as 'Rilla Joe,' right in front of me, does precisley what I thought my presence was supposed to prevent. He was standing 2 feet away from me, flipped the box from his shoulder into a vertical position and slowly guided it down----------LETTING IT DROP THE LAST 5 INCHES TO THE CONCRETE FLOOR.

Axiom does pack for 'RILLA JOES" arond the globe, but boy! Both boxes had holes in them big enough for me to look right there and touch the speaker's front corner. I made him note it and we both signed it.

OK, so now I'm not feeling quite so ill, that I've been up a few hours and got to "keep" some toast and tea. So why not unpack 'em and then be able to put in an immediate report to UPS if necessary.

Note: The unpacking directions/graphics work only if you have a ceiling higher than, ohh, 8' 6" or so.

Cool, no damage visible anywhere. Let's just move the M60's into the DR for now and set THESE up, just to make sure nothing internal may have been damaged.

OMFG, these are HEWGE! Am I really gonna get away with this? They block so much more light than the 60's that the plants might die. Is Bill gonna go nanners when he gets home? Obviously, I did get away with it, 'cause I still have the speakers, but, since they arrived, around T-giving, I have, quite often, missed having Bill in my life. Kidding, kidding, I don't miss him at all! I'm kidding, he's still here. "Gee, Bob, they meant it when the said "towers," huh?" and "Now I have to move my head to the left or right to see the front door." He could see over the 60's. "True enough, that, Bill, but no one actually comes in that door unless you get up and let them in, right?

Though I had little time to spend with them until after Xmas, I've made up for that since.

I have thrown everything at them; 50 years worth of buying music, from Vivaldi to Vanilla Fudge, from the Fuggs to Fun. There were consecutive days of female vocalists; my white ones and Bill's black ones. I had just oldies days; Little Richard, Jan and Dean, all of my Beach Boys, in order of release dates, same with the Beatles, Tull, Queen and a few others. Some of my 60's/70's cd's are remasters, some are not and are really poor recordings, and hence, have gotten little play, so I dragged them out, too. I listened to Joni Baloney's (Mitchell) entire box of her first 10 studio albums remastered, in a row, twice.

And last, but not least, all of my rock/jazz "fusion" albums from the 70's that I used to prize for their rarity, have finally---I'm totally f'n kidding! Fusion!?!?! Are you f'n serious? It almost killed the "rock" half. The real last, but not least, were all of those classical recordings that never really rocked my plimsoul with any stereo I've owned in my entire life.

All of my friends who might give a shit about such things as "Bob's new speakers" have been by for a listening session, some more than once.

I could begin here with the detailed impressions and interpretations, comparisons and more useless crap. Here's the measure: Never once in the 4 years I had the M60's, was Bill willing to spend time listening to music with me. Now, for as much as an hour before the "old peoples'" news comes on the local network affilliate, and as long as it's artists he knows and songs he likes, I not only can listen with him, I can almost listen at MY levels. Of course I asked why! He said, "Becasue none of this music has ever sounded like this to me. Even some of the old stuff sounds better than I've ever heard those albums sound. I hear things that I've never heard and the sound is so in the room." "So you think theye're an improvement to the M60's?," I asked. "By a lot!," he replied.

So, there you have it, directly from a listener who really, officially, does not give a shit about any of the "stuff" you'd probably have to be into in order to buy these speakers in the first place. Sorry, but in one of my books, a true Kantian reposnse is not an easy thing. Bill's response was disinterested, but not uninterested. It's about as honest and audio-baggage-free as it gets.

My jaded self concurs. No music I own has ever, EVER, sounded like this, old or new, none of it! My amp liked my M60's, but it loves these M100's! Now that I've spent time with 60's 80's and 100's (all v3's), the differences between 60/80, 80/100 are not subtle, nor are they limited to one range or quality. At each move up, the changes are across the entire spectrum; clarity, specificity, soundstage, etc.

Therefore, as I anticipated, the differences between my 60's and these are as big as these things themselves. For the first time ever, I can get orchestral music to feel like it does inside the hall when the passages can get so loud that they can easily be heard while walking across the street from Symphony Hall. I got that thrill for the first time, ever, in my own house, with the M100's. That opens up some whole new avenues of listening for me. I'm old and those compsoers are all dead, so the time-frame thing works out great for me. It'll be easy to keep up with their newest pieces.

These are the $10k speakers I would otherwise never own. They may need oly 10wpc, but they are more fun w/ 150.

So, if you're thinking about M100's, save your money. It'll take less than 10 minutes after they arrive to feel completely cured of any remor$e whatsoever over parting with it.

Are they worth getting the evil eye from a fellow Axiomoe who lives close by and now hates coming over in his little hats and charcoal heather wool jackets that all make him look just soooo put together and squeeky clean, all country "squirey" and everything, like a living L.L. Bean or Orvis catalog page, with his expensive boots and all, who is never thirsty or hungry when he visits and never lets you pay for lunch? Hmmm? Only when he's not here.
Not sure what to say...
I'm glad you like them.
Congrats.
Posted By: CV Re: My new Haut-Parleu de Perfromance Superieures - 02/13/14 05:27 AM
That was one of the best reviews I've ever fully read through. I won't be trading in my LFR1100s, but I'm glad to hear the M100s are what you hoped for!
Well, Bob, I can't compete with your wit, so I'll have to just go with earnestness.

It brings me joy to hear that you are happy, and I am always delighted by your stories.

You totally suckered me on the fusion thing. That was hilarious.

Be well, my friend. Enjoy.
This is the first review that actually made me feel like I wanted to upgrade. Also, the last paragraph made me laugh out loud at my desk. No offense to Captain Orvis.
Fantastic, Bob. Fantastic.

How does Bandit like them? smile
re: Bandit

Sometimes he sleeps near the right channel and sometimes he gets up and goes elsewhere, just like he does when the system is not in use. He does not notice TV, at all, though he uses the house's mirrors to position himself to see around corners.

I once came into the living room to find my then 3 yr old female Pit with her face up against a 36" CRT television, trying to sniff the ass-end of a wildebeast. She had been on the sofa when I left the room, so the movement must have caught her attention. Some notice, or even "watch," and others aren't at all interested.

Funny that three of you who responded, (thanks, all) are M60's people. These will spin your head. Like you, when I decided on the 60's, I had no plans to move up to the 80's. I still wouldn't. These however, are a whole new game.

Mine just showed up at the refurb shop and I've considered buying them back. When I ordered on the great trade-up offer, it DID cross my mind to ask Brent, on the sly, "So c'mon dude, how much for me to keep 'em,?" but thought it too tacky to abuse what slight familiarity I may have.

It'd be so cool! There's enough ceiling room to stack them right on top of the M100's, kinda like a washer/dryer "duet." It'd take a while for the UV light to make the finishes look the same, maybe as much as 18 months, and then there's another amp, but...

Look, you fell for the "fusion" thing, don't do it again. I'd put them in my bsmt. shop, espec now that I have to have one of my Snell woofers repaired for the 2nd time in 30 years. I'd retire them.

It's a nutty enough idea for me to do it, but I should just wait for damaged M3's in any finish at all. It'd be cheaper and I can't hear what's playing 1/2 the time anyway.
Bob has a great sounding room and a powerful amp. The 100's are an experience. They are jaw dropping, bewildering. I do get angry when I listen to them, but I am only angry at myself for not upgrading too.

I think they should charge more money for Bob's old speakers. You could never afford John Lennon's piano. But these are within reach.

Captain Orvis? What can I say? I love it there. I also wear Filson, Barbour and Le Chameau.

Murph, come on down and visit and I'll take you out for a really nice lunch.
Nice review, Bob. Can you throw us a bone and delve into some specific differences or other useless crap between the 60s and 100s?
Bob's HomePage
Originally Posted By: Adrian
Nice review, Bob. Can you throw us a bone and delve into some specific differences or other useless crap between the 60s and 100s?

The 100's have 40 more.
Dear Socketman,
less pithy answers and more Emotiva reviews please.
Originally Posted By: Lampshade
Dear Socketman,
less pithy answers and more Emotiva reviews please.

Cmon , I like being pithy and sarcastic. grin Please just once more , thanx.

Why Emo reviews??
I thought you just bought some.... must have you mixed up with another member.
Yeah I did, but I didn't realize I had said anything on here about it. Sorry
My intention was not to offend. I apologize.
My intention was not to offend. I apologize.

No apologies necessary, I have OFS and didn't realize I had said anything. I really wanted a ADA amp but somehow talked myself into another EMO. Don't get me wrong, the EMO's are great amps but they take up a lot of room. All amps sound the same and since I already had a 3 channel amp for the fronts leaving the amp's in my Denon 3311 to handle surround duties the upgrade is severe overkill and made no sonic difference that I could hear. The combined peak max output of both amps is like 2500 watts/4ohms (based on specs) which along with everything else I have plugged in to a single outlet would set the house on fire if I tried to draw that much power . LMAO eek grin
Originally Posted By: Adrian

Hey, Adrian, whazzup?!

I think, like every Axiom speaker, the goal is to have the final product not sound like anything other than the program material emanating from the enclosure. The M100's are more articulate and display more clarity across the entire spectrum, but most noticeably in the lower reaches. There's 50% more woofer surface area, for starters, than 60's or 80's, but they are a different animal. It's sort of like having the 60's and my ep500 on together, but with more definition.

Of course, the biggest differences from the 60's are doubling the # (surface area) of the mid-range drivers and tweeters, along with the larger cabinet. So there's more specificity in voices (and MOST other sounds) and those shimmery things, like some cymbal sounds. Then you sort of have an M80.

Now, make all those same changes to the 100's. Add an additional(redesigned) woofer that brings a more potent and punchier lower end, then tweak the cross-overs for an even wider and more open soundstage.

Those, to me are the most noticeable differences between my M60's, Chris's M80's, and the new M100's.

I think the price differences between the 60/80/100 are, relative to performance improvements, as usual around here, pretty on-the-money. The value/dollar ratio seems rather consistent to me. No Axiomoe would be disappointed by these, unless you need more than 7 drivers per cabinet to be happy!

If you have 60's or 80's, these really will make you go, "WHOA!" Those areas of your house where others could go in order not to hate you? All gone!

Hanging around here gives us a skewed sense of value. These are NOT $2500.00 speakers. If you could sit here and listen to Amy Winehouse's "Back to Black," you would phone Brent or JC w/o asking your wife.
Captain Orvis? What can I say? I love it there. I also wear Filson, Barbour and Le Chameau.

Murph, come on down and visit and I'll take you out for a really nice lunch.

Sorry, I was laughing more at Bob's way of expressing himself than your clothing choices. I own a Hemp Tilley for kayaking if you'd like revenge.
Last night the wife & I couldn't help ourselves listening to the eagles hell freezes over dvd and the Diana krall in paris dvd, David Gilmore in concert dvd and Bee Gees dvd on the m100's these speakers are just awesome!
Awesome review, Bob. Really enjoyed reading it.

Congrats on the new speakers!
Thanks, Sean. Some people, like MarkSJohnson, weren't aware that it was less than 1,700 words.
Is THAT the defining line between a "regular" post and a "Mother of all...." post?
I thought it was Bob's line between flippant reply and a well thought out review.
I saw it as really well thought out flippancy.
© Axiom Message Boards