Axiom Home Page
Posted By: 2x6spds Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/18/16 05:39 AM
So, I dug out an old pair of Axiom M3V2 speakers and grabbed a tube amp from monoprice for $150. I didn't expect much.

It's so sweet it's a joke. I've listened to Smetena and Mussorgsky so far (CDs). The sound quality is really good!

This Monoprice unit looks like a lot like a nobsound MS10d, has a single input and a built-in bluetooth receiver.

A nice sounding tube amp for $150. That is audio value friends.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/18/16 02:04 PM
Speaking of inexpensive Monoprice amplifiers, they have one of their "No Logo" branded 2 channel amps for just over $200 US. 150w x 2 (8 ohms) and 235w x 2 (4 ohms)...not much in the way of reviews on it, but if it's anywhere near it's listed specs (and reliable) it's a bargain.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/18/16 03:00 PM
I had never seen that one before on their site. Thanks for pointing it out Adrian!
Posted By: Wid Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/18/16 03:55 PM

That's an incredible deal.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/19/16 03:41 AM
It's tempting. Exchange rate sucks right now though.
Posted By: craigsub Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/19/16 01:18 PM
This amp, for $99, is a steal at Parts Express:

https://wholesale.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-apa100-class-ab-stereo-amplifier-60-wpc--300-590

Dual RCA Inputs, volume control, can take two pairs of speakers ... AND ... two channel line out.

A pair of M2's/M3's ... an EP125 (both from the Outlet ... this amp and a decent CD player. Good sound.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/19/16 02:06 PM
Craig, your link is to the wholesale site. The regular link is http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-apa100-class-ab-stereo-amplifier-60-wpc--300-590
Posted By: Adrian Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/19/16 02:48 PM
Audiosource AMP100??
Posted By: MMM Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/19/16 02:55 PM
Thanks Craig.. now I can get an inexpensive amp for my LFR's.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/19/16 03:09 PM
Niles also makes some reasonably priced amps too.
Posted By: craigsub Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/19/16 05:12 PM
Originally Posted By MarkSJohnson
Craig, your link is to the wholesale site. The regular link is http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-apa100-class-ab-stereo-amplifier-60-wpc--300-590

Interesting .. I was on the page for the amp, but was signed in as a wholesaler. Look at both links, and they look identical. PE must have set it so when a wholesale account who is logged in posts a link, it automatically re-routes the link to the whole sale log in.

For the record, the wholesale price is $91.60.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/20/16 12:32 AM
I was already drooling over that Monoprice tube amp. I mean, I think it's a tube preamp stage with a Class D amp stage, but oh so pretty. So glad to hear it sounds good. I think it's a smart and attractive product.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/20/16 12:42 AM
Hi Tom

It is a crazy good deal! It sounds excellent. I have all kinds of cheap amps, Dayton, Lepai, Topping, SonicImpact ... this $150 tubie sounds much better than any of them.
Posted By: craigsub Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/20/16 01:45 AM
Originally Posted By 2x6spds
Hi Tom

It is a crazy good deal! It sounds excellent. I have all kinds of cheap amps, Dayton, Lepai, Topping, SonicImpact ... this $150 tubie sounds much better than any of them.

This begs for a blind test. smile
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/20/16 02:19 AM
You're invited. Southern California in the winter season, perfect venue for the blind test!
Posted By: AdrianD Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/22/16 02:54 PM
I just got this amp yesterday; decent build quality, excellent sound. IF it needs some burn-in... it will sound amazing.
Vinyl sounds perfect to my ear!

The bad: the cost for us Canadians is: ~$200 CAD for the product and $50 border fee/tax... which sucks. That being said, I still think it's worth though.
The power rating is a little misleading; it's 15W RMS and 25W peak into 4 ohm. So for 8 ohm you'll get around 8W or so I would guess. But don't be fooled, while I don't think you can run a party on this amp it does reach loud enough level for comfortable listening..
The tone control (which is not defeatable), especially the treble, cuts/adds a little too much into the mids. I still hope that some burn-in might address some sound quality issues.

Originally Posted By tomtuttle
I was already drooling over that Monoprice tube amp. I mean, I think it's a tube preamp stage with a Class D amp stage, but oh so pretty. So glad to hear it sounds good. I think it's a smart and attractive product.

It is a hybrid: tub preamp and A/B final stage. And yes, I'm with you... it is a smart product, I love the idea.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/22/16 08:07 PM
Originally Posted By AdrianD
I just got this amp yesterday

Which one? The Monoprice tube amp? (There have been several mentioned in this thread)
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/22/16 10:24 PM
The $150 ($149.xx) monoprice tube amp.

Silly Good.

Adrian, you are right about the output. This amp has no trouble driving M3V2s. The combination is really sweet ... and you can get into swapping tubes in search of ... more.

What phono stage are you using for vinyl?

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/23/16 02:29 AM
Posted By: Adrian Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/24/16 01:42 PM
Monoprice has site wide 15% off today!!...that takes some of the sting out of the exchange rate.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/24/16 11:25 PM
Well, I figured Mark might try and buy the last one so I ordered one. Monoprice Amp With another 15% off...about $177US.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/25/16 12:11 AM
If I had a use / location for one, I'd consider it just to try it out.

And, of course, to amp-block you.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/28/16 05:12 PM
A bunch of us here in SoCal periodically get together for Jazz nights, where we listen to mostly jazz on vinyl on our systems. Yesterday, MK, a self proclaimed audio snob came over, and I set up the little Monoprice, Axiom M3V2, Sherwood CD/SACD/DVDA player.

Now, MK prefers tube MacIntosh amp and Cornscala custom speakers, but ... he was shocked by the Monoprice - Axiom M3V2 combination. We only had a half hour, but sampled Nora Jones, Bill Evans, Pete Ellis, and a SACD jazz sampler.

He said, as to sound quality, if you told me this was a $1,500 system, I would have thought you got a great deal.

This little Monoprice tube amp and Axiom M3V2 combination is SILLY GOOD.

BTW, I know it is described as a hybrid amp, but it looks like it has a pair of 12ax7 type tubes for the preamp section, and some weird EL type tubes for the amp section.

Anyway, if you're on a budget and want to try a tube amp which sounds very good, go get 'em.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/28/16 06:08 PM
I REALLY wish I could justify a use / location for that, because I would like to try it for the hell of it....or for the audio jewelry factor.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/28/16 07:46 PM
Mark, the thrill of buying something without any justification can be its own justification...
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/28/16 11:07 PM
I agree!

(Joyce doesn't!)
Posted By: Adrian Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/28/16 11:32 PM
Mark, if Joyce has any questions just refer her to Peter.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/28/16 11:40 PM
smile
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/29/16 02:15 PM
She'll have to travel a lot farther to slap me soon.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/29/16 03:34 PM
Slap-by-Purolator?
Posted By: LRA Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 01/30/16 03:20 PM
I have a similar setup in my office (12'x8')

YAQIN MC-10T -- 550$CA so around 10$USD :-)
Emotiva XDA-2
Axiom M22
10" subwoofer

PC & macbookpro feed a digital signal to the DAC

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7bOQfAB_PACcHBLV1dFU0tjclU/view?usp=sharing[/img]

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7bOQfAB_PACQ3VPbjI5SHUtZEk/view?usp=sharing[/img]
Posted By: Major Shake Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 02/20/16 03:29 AM
Been tempted by this, but the monoprice is also calling:
http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00DRUY6EG/re...=I3NAAXEJMSUNRE
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 02/20/16 03:33 PM
If it is twice as good, it'd really be something!!
Posted By: Listener Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 05/10/16 12:50 AM
I really like the looks of the monoprice tube amp. I am thinking of buying some used speakers for my den... a 14 x 14 room. I'm thinking of either the paradigm studio 20 or 40s. Would this amp be enough to drive those speakers?

I don't need it to be ridiculously loud, but don't want to short change those speakers.
Posted By: Listener Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 05/11/16 06:20 PM
Anyone?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 05/11/16 10:21 PM
Hi Listener

Checked the Paradigm specs, Studio 20s rated at 90 db. Should be no problem whatsoever. That is a pretty efficient speaker and the little Monoprice is rated at 25 watts per channel, which is much more than enough to drive the 20s at very high listening levels.

Studio 40s rated at 92 db. Even more efficient. Even easier load.

Enjoy!
Posted By: Listener Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 05/11/16 11:42 PM
Originally Posted By 2x6spds
Hi Listener

Checked the Paradigm specs, Studio 20s rated at 90 db. Should be no problem whatsoever. That is a pretty efficient speaker and the little Monoprice is rated at 25 watts per channel, which is much more than enough to drive the 20s at very high listening levels.

Studio 40s rated at 92 db. Even more efficient. Even easier load.

Enjoy!

Thank you.
Posted By: MMM Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 05/12/16 02:25 AM
I think with most speakers the amp is putting in less than 5 or 6 watts of power for 80-90% of the time. It is only in the odd occasion that you will need more power. what throws the wrench into most peoples thinking is the want for perfect sound. if you don't have enough power then you get into either distortion or timing issues. The louder you have it the more predominant these issues are. As well, the type of music plays a big roll in where it will emphasize the problems.

As you go up in available watts, the amount of times the speakers need to compromise goes down. what you need to decide or understand is how accurate you need and what you are willing to put up with sound wise.

Sometimes it doesn't make any difference, but to others it will
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 05/12/16 05:10 AM
I don't usually listen at levels above 90 db. 1 watt at one meter, 90 db sound level = 90 db efficient speakers. I think.

I have some amps with big beautiful dials. Most of the time while listening to music at normal levels, the amp is ticking over at less than 0.5 watts.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 06/05/16 01:17 PM
Right now you can get the Monoprice "No Logo" 300 watt, 2 channel amp for $180USD as it's on sale for $199(down from $280) plus an extra $20 off.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 06/10/16 05:35 AM
I went to T.H.E. Audio Show in Irvine last week.

I picked up a pair of Emerald Physics EP2.8 speakers in the ginko boloba or cocobolo finish with DSP and some mono blocks.

Anyone interested in a pair of brand new M100s in real Cherry with Chestnut finish and outriggers?

Best regards.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Silly Inexpensive 2 Channel System - 11/13/17 03:12 PM
Finally hooked up the Monoprice "No Logo" 2 channel amp I picked up last year...150w per channel @ 8ohms, 235w @ 4ohms. Noticeable difference when I cranked it up vs the Denon AVR's power supply. Time will tell on the reliability side but very pleased so far. Unfortunately, I haven't seen this amp on their site for a while. At the price I paid for it, it was a steal ($177 USD).
© Axiom Message Boards