Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SJM Compare M80 to Aperion Grand Tower, and Biamping - 03/27/16 12:06 AM
I've been comparing speakers lately so I can find the right one for my room and ear. I've listened to Magnapan 1.7, but though I like the sound, I don't have the room (and my wife thinks they are ugly, so that one's out!). I have a pair of Aperion Grand Towers in my room now, and really like them. They are beautiful to look at, but also the sound stage is amazing. I have a pair of M60s to try, but have ruled them out in favor of the Aperions. My M80s arrived two days ago, but unfortunately one of them has a crossover issue. One sounds very nice, but the other base and mids sound like they are in a cave (very muted). I tried reversing the cables, and plugging into the second set of inputs, but no change. I have an email into Axiom and waiting for their response.

Has anyoe listened to, or compared the M80 to the Aperion Grand Tower?

I am biamping the Aperions, and I believe it has expanded the sound stage and detail. I have two Parasound A23s, with each powering a different set of speakers (vertical biamp). Does anyone have experience with biamping, and in particular the M80s?

Thanks!

Steve
I haven't heard the Aperions but I am curious to read your opinion compared to the M80s.

I haven't bi-amped but if you hear a difference on the Aperions it's likely improved lower mid-range. That's where the Aperion is hardest to drive. If you are using a sub, you may not hear any difference with the M80s when you bi-amp them.
Mojo, why do you think that I won't hear much of a difference with the M80 and a sub? Do you think that different than with the Aperion? They both have two mid-range and two sub-woofers.

I just put the system back to using one amp for a test (not an easy think the way my system is set in a cabinet). After listening intently to 3-4 pieces, I switched it back to i-amp. Maybe it's me, but I definitely hear a difference, specially with the lower tones, and "punch." I think it's because there is more power available to the high and low sections of each speaker.

It's a pain to do, but I will do the same with the M80s.

Steve
I didn't think you'd hear much difference with the M80s and a sub when bi-amping because the M80s are more difficult to drive below 50 Hz compared to the rest of the spectrum. On second look at the impedance and phase response though, they continue to have "low" impedance and leading phase angle right about to the lower mid-range. So if you are driving them hard, you may hear a difference when bi-amping. I'd be curious to know what you hear.
I've had the M-80s for a week now, and am very impressed. I like the Aperion too, but it's a slightly different sound. The M-80 does "tell the truth" on recordings, meaning I hear more "stuff" than with the Aperion. I guess you'd say the M-80 is more neutral, more accurate?

Steve
Can you hear a difference with biamping?
Well, I've only been into this hobby for a short time, so my opinion may not be worth a lot, but I do hear a difference. There seems to be more power behind the music, more clarity, and also larger sound stage. I've been messing with so many variables that just positioning the speakers has also probably helped, But again, I do think the biamping helps.

I'm using one amp for each speaker (vertical biamp) versus horizontal. From what I've read doing it this way with identical amps is recommended.

Anyone have experience with the outriggers offered as an option? Are they worth the $240?

Thanks!
Steve
No experience with the outriggers. Are you using a sub? Do you find the Aperions easier to listen to or is there really no difference in that respect?
To compare the speakers, I turn the sub and preamp crossover off, but i did get the EP500 sub too. I wouldn't say the Aperions are easier to listen to because both are easy. It's interesting, listening to each music piece, the only thing I change is the speaker. When moving from the Aperion to Axiom, there is a very noticeable difference in power. My wife calls it more robust. The tinny high bugs me, but it's really only noticeable on some music.

When i do turn on the EP500, it is really a
very nice addition.
The sensitivity according to published specs is the same for both speakers so it's surprising that the M80s should sound louder. It's possible the v4 is more sensitive than previous versions and Axiom has not yet updated the specs. It's also possible the two manufacturers measured the sensitivity differently.

Whatever obnoxious I hear in my M80v2 tweeter is in the recording. If the tweeter in the Air is the v4 tweeter, I would say Axiom has softened its response. Either that or the softened response I'm hearing is due to the Air's grill.
I have the LFR1100 so it's a taller speaker than the M80. I got the outriggers and they have helped me out. I have the speakers in my basement and the floor is nowhere near level. I can take the feel and adjust them out more than I could with the feel underneath, and with the pads wider, there is not a feel like the speaker is wanting to topple over.

Now you asked if they are worth the $240. Well, I don't want to bite the hand that feeds, but I think they can be sold for less than that. If I was buying for cosmetic purposes, then I would say they are nice not a must and would consider other alternatives.

For me they did solve more and were worth what I paid for them.
© Axiom Message Boards