Axiom Home Page
Posted By: 2x6spds Does Upgrading Caps Make a Difference? - 05/10/17 11:54 PM
I have a pair of M3 V2s and a pair of M3 V3s. I swapped out the Jimson 4.7uf and 1.5uf caps with Wimas of the same values.

Sound quality improvement is SUBSTANTIAL!

I am a fan of the M3s, but the cap upgrade has taken my V2s to a whole and better level !
I think what is important here is that you believe they sound better and in turn that makes the listening session more enjoyable. I really dont know one way or the other but i know your can buy caps for $1 or upwards of $300 but unless your do at minimum a side by side listening session i dont trust my ears or brain to tell me the truth. The minute you change the caps your brain is biased and thre is no getting around it. I just upgraded to a Oppo BDP203 and for the life of me i cant be sure it was an improvement or not, basically i was happy with what i had but upgrade itis set in so i choose to be happy smile FWIW when i built my speakers i spent considerably more for my caps than most people would simply because i think more money buys you better things and i have no empirical proof one way or the other but i feel good knowing i didnt cheap out.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Does Upgrading Caps Make a Difference? - 05/11/17 04:35 AM
I did back to back comparison, same music, same tube amp (recapped Harman Kardon TA5000x). I expected the M3V3s to sound as good or better, as the V2s were sort of old and obviously had a hard life.

The difference was not subtle.

What do you like about the sound of a speaker? As for me, whatever that is, the upgraded V2s had much more of it, not a little more.

The Wimas are not expensive, I think all 4 set me back $18 or so. (considerably more expensive than the stock Jimsons which go for all of 2 cents [2 pennies] a piece.)

If you're ever in southern California, come by and hear for yourself. But as for me, yes, I believe the recapped M3s sound considerably better than the later generation V3s. I am confident you would too.

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Does Upgrading Caps Make a Difference? - 05/11/17 04:47 AM
Of course, come quick, because I ordered more for the V3s.
Something i was thinking after reading your post. If you are replacing the caps and altering the speakers sonic signature then its no longer operating as the designer intended. In a perfect world we would be able A/B the speakers and even make some nearfield measurements to see what is actually affected. Wehn i built my 3 ways , i used Axiom drivers and just used a crossover design program, ordered the parts and bobs your uncle not really scientific like doin measurements etc. Sometimes different isnt necessarily better,its just different. Alas , as i said if it sounds better for the listener and it makes the listener happy.

Thanks for the invite but i live up near Alaska and goin to california isnt in the budget though i hope to one day get down to see a few of the sites down there before it falls into the ocean . LOL
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Does Upgrading Caps Make a Difference? - 05/11/17 06:09 PM
Oh my goodness, sounds like you live somewhere hardhly beautiful. When you do make it to California, let me know! There'll be a brontosaur steak, suds and music for you.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Does Upgrading Caps Make a Difference? - 05/11/17 08:40 PM
harshly beautiful
yeah its nice , but people keep moving here and ruining it.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Does Upgrading Caps Make a Difference? - 05/12/17 01:44 AM
Yeah, my neighbors... refugees from California running from the left wing destruction of our state and bringing their left wing voting patterns to yours.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Does Upgrading Caps Make a Difference? - 05/12/17 04:41 AM
Originally Posted By Socketman
yeah its nice , but people keep moving here and ruining it.

Lol
Posted By: AAAA Re: Does Upgrading Caps Make a Difference? - 05/12/17 07:49 AM
2x6

Have you considered

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Solen SB caps from his test ended up in the speakers I built. I can attest they are functional. smile Apart from that, I cant say much except I like to pay a little more for long term piece of mind.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Does Upgrading Caps Make a Difference? - 05/12/17 02:01 PM
Originally Posted By 2x6spds
refugees from California running from the left wing destruction of our state and bringing their left wing voting patterns to yours.

1st thought - yeah there should be a law against this; you need to live with the consequences of your actions

2nd thought - OMG I'm as bad as them, you can't fix bad laws with more laws

3rd thought - I've seen this pattern in a lot of other parts of the world frown
© Axiom Message Boards