Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rrlev Vinyl is in! So, what are you playin' it on? - 04/25/20 02:42 AM
I have always loved cool and gadgetry stuff. So, it's no wonder that after I had my first real job (early 80's) I keep'ed ogling one particular turnable ...

a Beogram TX with an MMC3 cartridge
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I still have it and still use it occasionally
(to my wife's dismay ... can't tell you how many times she's tried to get me to dump all the boxes of albums I have)
Looks great cool platter!!!

I use a Fluance RT81 it has a AT95 MM cartridge. Used to be their better version now they come with Ortofon carts. and better platters from mid to higher level.

Can easily get into scary upgraditus territories with simple mid level cartridges. They can all go up to the premium needles nowadays.
Before I took it all apart to install the LFR's...

- Project Debut Carbon with Acryl-it platter and Ortofon 2M Red cartridge
- Project phono box
- Grant TubeDAC (not using tube output, it hurt the imaging)
- Adcom GFA 555 ii
- Axiom M5HP's on home-made stands

After I get a free weekend with no yard work or work work...

- same as above but a couple of ADA1500's and a pair of LFR1100's

After a bit more hypothetical free time

- Denon DL110 replaces Ortofon 2M Red (the DL110 didn't like the metal platter so had to wait for Acryl-it)
You guys inspired me. Thanks!

Fired up table for first time in 2 years... eek

Mitsubishi DP-EC20 (1978) with AT-120 MM Cartridge. Meat and potatoes.

Grew up with a table in the living room. (same table in great shape)

Massive Attack-
Blue Lines

Forgot how nice it was to just sit and listen to an album right through!

Can you guys recommend a good cleaning brush? The old velour wrapped foam “magic touch”. Is probably due for replacement. (1978)
This is the turntable I grew up with. My dad got it at Advance Audio/Video on the corner of Portage and Valour Rd. in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. The manager of the store loved my dad. Everything audio we had, my dad got for free from him. The manager would come to my dad's restaurant and have a home-made hot turkey sandwich with home-cut fries, home-made beef gravy, home-made coleslaw and bottomless Dickson's coffee for $2.95. He'd finish it off with a home-made, mile-high cinnamon bun that was cut in half, slathered with butter and grilled. The cinnamon buns were made with 7-up, not water, and put in a steam oven for 24 hours so they could rise. He'd leave with buckets of coleslaw which just created more work for me!

The first record ever played on it was mine. Alan Parsons Tales of Mystery and Imagination.

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/kenwood/kd-2070.shtml
I went though an Alan Parsons phase ...
Have most of their Albums: Ammonia Ave, Eve, Eye in the Sky, I Robot, Pyramid, Tales of Mystery and Imagination, turn of a Friendly Card, and Vulture Culture ... all CDs

There is a good chance I have something from them on vinyl ... have to look once I unpack it.
I listen to Parsons quite often. But it's just not the same without those cinnamon buns.
Nice, basic record cleaner for under $100

[Linked Image from hifiheaven.net]
Originally Posted by Mojo
I listen to Parsons quite often. But it's just not the same without those cinnamon buns.
Whiskey goes well with Parsons ... smile
Whiskey cinnamon rolls.
Originally Posted by From_the_Deep
You guys inspired me. Thanks!

Fired up table for first time in 2 years... eek

Mitsubishi DP-EC20 (1978) with AT-120 MM Cartridge. Meat and potatoes.

Grew up with a table in the living room. (same table in great shape)

Massive Attack-
Blue Lines

Forgot how nice it was to just sit and listen to an album right through!

Can you guys recommend a good cleaning brush? The old velour wrapped foam “magic touch”. Is probably due for replacement. (1978)

I've always been a fan of this type of carbon fiber cleaning brush as they really help with static and dig deep into the grooves. Lots of companies make a similar product.

https://www.amazon.ca/Pro-Ject-Brush-Carbon-Fiber-Record/dp/B006YOC5OK
Super! Thank you. smile
Another really good addition to the similar Anti Static brushes is a stylus brush and all can be had quite cheap 25 or so for brush 10 more for stylus brush. Run the Carbon fiber then quickly run over stylus. Adds on a little more fun to the setup as well.
When I was 11, my friend across the street used a hair on his stylus to clean the grooves. He found his mom's toe hair worked the best due to its width. Maybe Trevor can experiment with various body hairs and report back. I love science.
uh huh, sure
Originally Posted by brendo
Another really good addition to the similar Anti Static brushes is a stylus brush and all can be had quite cheap 25 or so for brush 10 more for stylus brush. Run the Carbon fiber then quickly run over stylus. Adds on a little more fun to the setup as well.

Remember to turn the volume down before brushing the stylus, or at least put your beer down first.
Ordered the Brush. Thanks Andrew.
Originally Posted by From_the_Deep
Ordered the Brush. Thanks Andrew.

I hope it works well for you.

My method of use, in case you're interested:

Hold it with light pressure against the spinning LP, across the entire diameter for a couple of rotations. You'll be able to see any dust or fuzz collecting in the bristles.
While still applying light pressure, draw the brush slowly outwards until it's off the LP.
Use the hinged bracket (there is normally a foam pad mounted to it) to wipe the bristles a few times back and forth.
Then I repeat the above one more time to remove any remaining dust and you're good to go.
Thanks!
© Axiom Message Boards