Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ikonw8 Axiom AX2 with gold woofers? - 08/12/20 01:49 AM
Hello all,

New to the Axiom forums, but I am the proud owner of several Axiom speakers. I love them.

I recently acquired a pair of Axiom AX2s, with the box shaped cabinets (series 1?). The previous owner indicates he bought them bought them new in 1990.

They have a gold coloured woofer cone, and rubber surrounds. All the pics I find online have these speakers with black cones and foam surrounds. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough?

Anyone familiar with the AX2 with gold woofer cones?

[img]Axiom AX2 with gold woofer https://imgur.com/a/2VfQylR[/img]

Thank you!
Posted By: Mojo Re: Axiom AX2 with gold woofers? - 08/12/20 03:07 AM
Legend has it, Ian (the president of Axiom Audio), was challenged to a speaker shoot-out in '89. Winner gained 4 oz. of gold. Loser gave up his left 'nad. Needless to say, Ian kept his 'nad and fashioned 1528 woofer cones from the gold. You are now a proud owner of two of those cones. Ian generously let his opponent keep his 'nad. When you listen to those gold cones, you may be able to hear Ian's 'nads clanging with nervous joy.
Posted By: Rebulx Re: Axiom AX2 with gold woofers? - 08/12/20 03:13 AM
that looks like an awesome pair of speakers! How do they sound 30 years later?
Posted By: Ian Re: Axiom AX2 with gold woofers? - 08/12/20 07:14 AM
I don't recall any special gold cone woofer but we may have painted a pair for someone. If you let me know what it says on the back of the woofer we can determine if it is an original AX2 woofer.
Posted By: ikonw8 Re: Axiom AX2 with gold woofers? - 08/12/20 10:48 AM
Thanks everyone for the quick reply!

Ian, I have attached a picture of the back of the woofer.

Axiom AX2 woofer? https://imgur.com/gallery/NM2Pj9E
Posted By: ikonw8 Re: Axiom AX2 with gold woofers? - 08/13/20 10:42 AM
As you may have suspected... Spoke to the original owner, and he did have the woofers replaced professionally.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Axiom AX2 with gold woofers? - 08/14/20 06:48 PM
Makes sense... don't think I have ever seen "Patricia" on the back of an Axiom woofer.

Mojo's explanation was pretty good too though smile
© Axiom Message Boards