Axiom Home Page
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa FMB Mounting Tips - 07/04/21 12:35 PM
Recently, I had the opportunity to use the FMB mounts in a deck install and have several others to install in the coming weeks. I thought it would be a good opportunity to give a little feedback on the design and a couple tips for those looking to use these as a match to Axiom products.

The FMB appear to be cast from an alloy of sorts, but I wouldn't say they are cheap diecast or pot metal. They are fairly lightweight and flex when under load slightly. I was a little worried about wind being an issue, but a few tugs on the mount set my mind at ease.

The FMB mount is able to be separated into 3 sections, the wall bracket, the horizontal gimbal and the vertical gimbal. Each gimbal is serrated with teeth at roughly 5 degree intervals and bolt into others with Allen head fasteners. Allen keys are provided. Gimbal pivot points allow some fine tuning once the mount is on the wall with its occupant.

Space is tight once these mounts have speakers on them, so here is how I approached them for a smooth install. A second set of hands is recommended if using these brackets on a ceiling. They aren't a speedy mission, so approaching in haste or hurry may result in frayed nerves.

Tips for install process:
1-Seperate the gimbal section from the wall bracket first.
2-Mount the gimbal section to the back of the speaker. I added a lock washer.
3-Mount the bracket to the wall. I used the supplied wedge facing down on top screw point. Highly recommended if mounting on siding.
4-Set a step ladder next to the wall bracket and set the speaker on top.
5-Terminate the speaker wire into the speaker. Apply anti-oxidant compound if outdoors and snug with pliers gently.
6-Mount the gimbal section knuckle into the mounting bracket and secure with Allen bolt.
7-Loosen Allen screws at knuckle gimbals and aim as desired. Snug back up with Allen hey and pliers once finished.

Done!

Here is the working space to deal with on these brackets. About 2 1/2". Prep first to not curse later. laugh

Cheers! Pretty basic, but if unboxing vids exist why shouldn't this? lol.

[Linked Image from imgur.com]
Posted By: Canesfan27 Re: FMB Mounting Tips - 07/04/21 06:42 PM
I just used the fmcb for my outdoor speakers. Setting the mounting bracket 4” off the siding allowed for more than enough direction adjustment to point the speakers slightly downward. Wiring is a little easier with the fmcb since the speaker is turned on is side.
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: FMB Mounting Tips - 07/04/21 09:16 PM
Did you use M3s? That sounds like a great idea. I went vertical because the port tube is slanted to keep water from draining into it. Lots of rain here by times.

Great idea blocking it out from the wall though.
Posted By: rrlev Re: FMB Mounting Tips - 07/05/21 01:23 AM
Actually it's a bit easier if you separate the FMB at the side to side movement section.
Now you can just screw the wall side where you want it. Mount the other side to the speaker. Wire it on the latter (just as you said) and then slide the peices together. Gravity will hold it there no fuss (even if the mount is pointing only slightly up) while you screw it back together.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: rrlev Re: FMB Mounting Tips - 07/05/21 01:25 AM
One more thing ... on the speaker side consider adding a small second screw to keep the speaker from turning ...
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: FMB Mounting Tips - 07/05/21 09:52 PM
Well Ill be darned. You just save me a couple hours good Sir!
Posted By: Mojo Re: FMB Mounting Tips - 07/05/21 10:40 PM
I ended up doing what Rich said back in 2007 with my 150v2. Actually, in all truth, I gave it to my then 9 year old son to figure out. I wouldn't worry too much about it, Trevor. We're electrical, not mechanical. smile
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: FMB Mounting Tips - 07/05/21 11:02 PM
Lol
Posted By: rrlev Re: FMB Mounting Tips - 07/06/21 01:46 AM
Glad it was helpful Terver ...

There is yet another point I should add:
Most speakers can be wired after putting the mount pieces together if you can tilt the mount enough to get at the terminals. Best to lock it in that position and then after wiring move it to the desired position.

The only speakers I've had to wire so far unmounted sitting on a latter have been the in-ceiling speakers ... But then again, the only speakers I've mounted so far on FMBs have been M3ow's.
Posted By: Canesfan27 Re: FMB Mounting Tips - 07/06/21 02:39 PM
https://postimg.cc/GHX0CmkT
Posted By: Mojo Re: FMB Mounting Tips - 07/06/21 04:05 PM
I don't understand why you couldn't install them lower so they can be upright.
Posted By: Canesfan27 Re: FMB Mounting Tips - 07/06/21 06:02 PM
I didn't want to mount on the siding. I can build a support to rotate them if I decide to turn them upright.
Posted By: Mojo Re: FMB Mounting Tips - 07/06/21 06:18 PM
I see.
Posted By: Canesfan27 Re: FMB Mounting Tips - 07/06/21 07:20 PM
My amp just shipped. I can’t wait to hook it up.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: FMB Mounting Tips - 07/10/21 03:11 AM
Originally Posted by rrlev
Actually it's a bit easier if you separate the FMB at the side to side movement section.
Now you can just screw the wall side where you want it. Mount the other side to the speaker. Wire it on the latter (just as you said) and then slide the peices together. Gravity will hold it there no fuss (even if the mount is pointing only slightly up) while you screw it back together.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I'm still waiting for the video...
Posted By: rrlev Re: FMB Mounting Tips - 07/10/21 04:58 AM
Originally Posted by chesseroo
I'm still waiting for the video...
You just want to see me fall off the latter while doing the balancing dance with a heavy speaker crazy
Posted By: Cork Re: FMB Mounting Tips - 07/10/21 02:09 PM
I suggest modifying (5) to add, "... into the speaker, using a drip loop". (Credit to Mojo, who suggested it for me when I put my M22's on the porch.)
Posted By: Mojo Re: FMB Mounting Tips - 07/10/21 04:25 PM
I credit one of my mentors, Peter Wagner, Chief Engineer, who introduced me to drip loops and physically showed me how they work with the help of a Phillipina factory Lead Hand named Lulu. Decades later, I honored Lulu by naming my blue '79 Chevy van after her - bLulu.

So Cork, show off your drip loops and share that story far and wide.
Posted By: aaaaaaaaaaaaa Re: FMB Mounting Tips - 07/10/21 11:16 PM
100% on the drip loop. Didnt even think to mention. But yeah! Great addition to tips. Wont let me edit now.

I have 4 more to mount so I’ll upload pics then.
© Axiom Message Boards