Axiom Home Page
Posted By: russvols speaker selection advice - 01/30/02 11:59 PM
Looking for any advice or thoughts folks out there may have. I have two stereo systems.

My upstairs system consists of a set of M3's powered by a Threshold S350 amp for CD only listening in a approx. 14 feet X10 feet room. I am continually amazed at the M3's sound...

My downstairs "two channel home theater" consists of a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7's v.1 floorstanders powered by a Sony GA8ES receiver. The downstairs room is approx. 27 feet X 14 feet. While the Paradigm's are good they don't have that Axiom sound I have grown to covet.

I would like to improve upon the sound of the Monitor 7's as well as add some more bass. I use the upstairs system for serious listening, and use the downstairs for movies and casual listening. I have come up with basically two trains of thought.

1. I could add a EP175 sub and move the M3's downstairs and buy another set of M3's or maybe M22's for upstairs or

2. I could simply buy a set of M80's for downstairs.

I have no aversion to buying the factory outlet models. What would make the most sense?

Posted By: BBIBH Re: speaker selection advice - 01/31/02 04:54 AM
That is a very good amp driving the M3's. What CD source are you using?

I think you need to answer some questions for yourself. Such as:
1) do I want to spend money on HT or music? Which do you spend more time at or enjoy more?
2) What is my ultimate goal? HT or Music, or both?
3) what is my budget?
4) where is my biggest bang for the buck?

It would be easy to say replace it all with Axiom and you like the quality. If however you lean towards needing/wanting one system of the other more, that is were you need to decide to focus.

Apparently there has been sweeping approval of the Factory Outlets. One poster mentioned a problem and Ian made it right. It seemed to be a shipping issue, and not Axiom's fault. Check any local dealers near you, as mine had first quality M40's for below FO M40 prices!

Regards,

BBIBH
Posted By: Ian Re: speaker selection advice - 01/31/02 02:01 PM
Certainly either one of your options is going to work just fine. I would be leaning to the M80 option for the downstairs though. The room is certainly large enough for them and they have a wonderful dynamic quality that I think would be appreciated in the larger space, for both the music and the movies.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Posted By: russvols Re: speaker selection advice - 01/31/02 05:27 PM
Thank you both for the advice...

I picked up the Threshold at a 'divorce sale' for only $300...it is beautiful both in looks and sound...I am using it with a Cambridge D500SE CD player connected to a Creek passive volume control...together it all puts out a great sound...

Posted By: BBIBH Re: speaker selection advice - 02/01/02 10:25 PM
Yes, it should be wonderful! Those are 3 quality hifi pieces.

Regards,

BBIBH
© Axiom Message Boards