Axiom Home Page
Posted By: krazy too much "boom" - 02/29/04 01:48 AM
I just picked up a harman kardon hk12 sub. The bass seems boomy. I placed the speaker in different locations and still found this to be true. Is this sub any good or could I get rid of the boomy sound with a different brand" It is rather large also. I am trying to get a smaller one as well. Any suggestions??? thanks
Posted By: JohnK Re: too much "boom" - 02/29/04 03:48 AM
K, that sub should be at least acceptable. On the setup, you should have the cable in the single sub input, which bypasses the internal sub crossover and gets it out of the way of the 325 crossover, which should be at 80Hz. The best placement, except possibly in a square room, is generally in the tightest corner behind an M22. Often a "boomy" sub is simply one that's set too loud. The idea is that the sub shouldn't attract attention to itself as a separate source, but rather that it gives the impression that it isn't working but the M22s are putting out more bass.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: too much "boom" - 02/29/04 06:52 AM
And sometimes some subs are just boomy.
A sub that does not utilize a solid driver design can certainly continue to resonate long after its signal has passed.
I've heard a Klipsch sub in the past compared to my EP350 and it did sound boomy. The EP350 had a much faster driver response i would say.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: too much "boom" - 02/29/04 04:16 PM
krazy, if you have the opportuinty to return the HK sub, take a look at SVS, HSU and Axiom's EP350. The SVS and HSU are particularly highly regarded. They specia;ize in making subs.
© Axiom Message Boards