Axiom Home Page
Posted By: thekid Axiom/Ascend - 03/15/04 09:46 PM
Ok I need some real, unbiased opinions from people who have heard both. The Axiom M22's and the Ascend CBM-170's.
I have heard both, unfortunately they were at seperate times and a few weeks apart. I thought the Axioms were just simply amazing, but they were no CBM-170. The Ascend's seemed in a league of their own. Anyone agree/disagree?

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Axiom/Ascend - 03/15/04 10:33 PM
Reviewers rate both the Ascends and M22s very highly. On the face of it, the Axioms are beautiful and the Ascends are ugly. That having been said, they're both great speakers.

I've never heard the Ascends, but apparently you have. There are folks on this board who have A/B'd these speakers and have expressed a preference for the M22s. The only test which really makes a spit's worth of difference is the one in your listening room using your equipment and your ears.

My opinion? Your best bet would be to pick up a pair of each and compare them in your home listening to your music (movies). Axiom has a 30 day return policy. If you do this, why don't you report back with your impressions?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Axiom/Ascend - 03/15/04 11:14 PM
Check out this review I wrote up a little while back...

Posted By: curtis Re: Axiom/Ascend - 03/15/04 11:15 PM
There have been a few comparisons of the speakers posted on this and other boards....some prefer one, some prefer the other, and some prefer neither.

A few weeks difference and different environments can make a lot of difference in how you hear something. I agree, take the time to hear both, side by side, in the same room, with the same electronics.

Also visit the www.ascendforum.com for their/our biased opinions. spiff's comparison is posted there too, as well as mine.
http://www.ascendforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Axiom/Ascend - 03/15/04 11:19 PM
I agree...both are so inexpensive, and both offer 30 day return policies. By a pair of both, and then you can A/B them in your own room.

If you remember them being very different in sound, then it's one of two things...

1) you don't remember correctly
2) the rooms they were in were not the same

because the M22ti and CBM-170 sound very, very similar.

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Axiom/Ascend - 03/15/04 11:29 PM
Just wandered around the Ascend discussion site - very nice bunch of people over there. If I could edit the word "ugly" out of my original post, I would. After all, pretty is as pretty does. Let's just say the Axioms are much better looking. Ascends appear to be another great bang for the buck high quality speaker.
Posted By: curtis Re: Axiom/Ascend - 03/15/04 11:54 PM
Did you at least join so we can get the membership numbers up?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Axiom/Ascend - 03/16/04 12:21 AM
Just signed up Curtis.
Posted By: thekid Re: Axiom/Ascend - 03/17/04 04:42 PM
Well it seemed that the Ascends had much more clear vocals
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Axiom/Ascend - 03/17/04 04:45 PM
Is that the extent of your comments? I was kind of hoping for a little more in depth.

Please?

Posted By: thekid Re: Axiom/Ascend - 03/17/04 05:17 PM
Well I am very new to this so I dont know your terminology
The ascends sounded more crisp maybe with vocals, sounded like the artist was right there
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Axiom/Ascend - 03/17/04 05:20 PM
And you heard them both side-by-side in the same room?

I just find that odd, as I've heard them both as well, and they sounded very, very similar, especially in the midrange (which would be voices). It was the bass, and high end that they differed slightly.
Posted By: thekid Re: Axiom/Ascend - 03/17/04 05:27 PM
same room different times so take that for what its worth.
I found the highs a little rolled off on the ascends and the axioms very accurate on the highs which is maybe why some people find them bright, which I did not. I thought they sounded great. I just found the vocals more accurate but that could just be me
Many of these forums, especially audio review, seem to all say how amazing the Ascends are vocally and I thought they were
I also thought the overall sound of the Axioms were great too
© Axiom Message Boards