Axiom Home Page
Posted By: cleankutazn Does anybody use equalizers anymore? - 03/25/04 06:59 PM
I want to buy one for my stereo system but it seems not many company's are selling them. Why dont they have a midrange adjustment for tone controls instead of just bass and treble??
Posted By: nowave Re: Does anybody use equalizers anymore? - 03/25/04 07:52 PM
I just think they are kind of frowned upon nowadays. It's generally considered best to have the fewest number of components from source to speakers - less stuff to potentially "mess up" the signal.

Having said that, if you are running straight stereo, and want to EQ for your room - it's not a bad idea at all (in my opinion). I use one that I got off ebay cheap, and works fine. There one there now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3086270079&category=3271

if you don't mind the 80's looks, it specs out good on paper, and mine at least doesn't have any scratchiness in the sliders at all. I mainly bought mine for the variable rumble filter, which is nice if you listen to vinyl.

Just remember if you are using an EQ - don't move the slider up - just down. That way you are only applying resistance, not trying to boost the signal. If the signal needs boosting, that's what your volume control is for
Posted By: SeanF Re: Does anybody use equalizers anymore? - 03/25/04 08:08 PM
I have not used an equaliser or even the tone controls on my reciever since I recieved my M60Ti's. Essentially I set everything to flat - an equalizer compensates for shortcomings in your system (frequency response etc) or in your listening environment. If you have a need you may be able to get one on E-Bay or Audiogon.
Posted By: alan Re: Does anybody use equalizers anymore? - 03/25/04 08:48 PM
Hi cleankutazn,

Back in the 1980s and early '90s, Yamaha preamps, integrated amps and some of their receivers had midrange controls along with bass and treble. They were quite useful (sometimes) for aggressively mixed recordings heavy on the EQ on vocals and treble.

An older used EQ (I don't use mine anymore; I think I got it because I liked all the peak-reading flourescent indicators for each band) would still be useful if you can be bothered to set the sliders. Get one with a "bypass" button so you can switch the equalizer out of the circuit when you want a straight-through signal. A multi-band EQ is much more versatile than having single bass, midrange, treble controls.

Regards,
Posted By: willscary Re: Does anybody use equalizers anymore? - 03/26/04 12:58 AM
Better yet. I EQ all speakers and my sub. I use Behringer 31 band stereo digital eqs for the speakers and a Behringer 12 band fully parametric digital eq for the sub. REALLY makes a system shine! I have never had anyone that was not blown away by my system's sound. Truthfully though, correct eq requires many hours of setup using RTAs and calibrated microphones, as well as SPL meters. It is well worth it if done correctly!
Posted By: CAV104 Re: Does anybody use equalizers anymore? - 03/26/04 12:27 PM
Try this, www.dod.com. I've used their SR 231 QX to make subtle changes to the percussion. Works for me.
© Axiom Message Boards