Axiom Home Page
Posted By: cleankutazn M80 drivers - 04/01/04 08:25 PM
I just opened up my m80's and was dissapointed at the 6.5" drivers they had a real small magnet and it said made in china
while the tweeters had a huge magnet? why is that? Not that this all matters that much but I thought they had good quality
drivers
Posted By: getoffb Re: M80 drivers - 04/01/04 08:26 PM
Do you like the way they sound?

If so, then why does it matter?
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: M80 drivers - 04/01/04 09:51 PM
a tiny magnet? are you sure you pulled the whole thing out?

it's rather heavy, though not massive. but in the end, it doesn't matter, because they sound absolutely amazing. in fact, one of my woofers has a minimal dent in them (i bought them used) but i can't tell the difference in sound.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: M80 drivers - 04/02/04 02:50 AM
they dont have a "small" magnet.

If you had seen a multitude of drivers before you might know what im talking about. And if you knew some things about driver design that are essential Besides magnet size.

The tweeters do not have enourmous magnets, theres sheilding in there too.

Although i thought Axiom made their own drivers,...

maybe the magnet is just made in china
Posted By: Ray3 Re: M80 drivers - 04/02/04 02:53 AM
This goes a long way towards explaining why I crave egg rolls every time I listen to a CD.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: M80 drivers - 04/02/04 07:32 AM
LOL!!!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: M80 drivers - 04/02/04 07:55 AM
I'm curious, do you have a degree in electical engineering? Because it sure sounds like you know something the speaker designers don't.
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: M80 drivers - 04/02/04 01:48 PM
the magnets and the amps on their subs are not Axiom made, the rest is (as far as I know)
Posted By: LT61 Re: M80 drivers - 04/02/04 07:48 PM
Well, does ANYONE know for sure where the drivers are made?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M80 drivers - 04/02/04 08:41 PM
I imagine the people at Axiom do.

And usually when something says "Made in X" on it, it's made in X.

What does it matter, anyway?
Posted By: real80sman Re: M80 drivers - 04/03/04 10:00 AM
Wasn't there a post about a year ago touching on this? I thought Sushi said that all the drivers were OEM'd in China to Ian's exact specs.

As far as the magnet size, my thought process goes like this: Larger magnet = larger magnetic field. Larger magnetic field = more current to move driver. More current to move driver = less efficiency. Am I wrong? Probably.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: M80 drivers - 04/04/04 05:03 PM
The efficiency of a speaker is dependent on a lot of things: the number of windings in the voice coil, the size of the magnet, the type of enclosure (sealed or ported), the stiffness and mass of the speaker cone, ....

It's a sum of many complex parts. It's easy to measure though. It's just a ratio of electical power in vs. acoustic energy out.
Posted By: JohnK Re: M80 drivers - 04/05/04 07:13 AM
Yeah, that's what sushi said on 9/30 in HT.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: M80 drivers - 04/05/04 01:35 PM
I think i can field this one, the drivers are made in China, BY Axiom.
So simply put, yes, the drivers are all Axiom.
What?
And you thought they only had the plant in Dwight?
Shame on you. Such preconceptions should be tossed out the door.
I have many stray preconceptions that got crushed after the tour. (More to come, busy writing).
© Axiom Message Boards