Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rotipom Stereophile Top 500-Why No Axioms? - 04/08/04 02:40 AM
Hey Everybody,

Curiousity got the better of me. I was browsing through the music and audio aisle in the bookstore and came across the latest issue of Stereophile with a listing for the top 500 most recommended audio components. There was no mention of Axioms or the Ascends. Lots of B&W, Paradigm Reference, Monitor Audio, Magnaplanar, and every top brand imagineable, even Athena Technologies.
They were categorized into A, B, C, D and K categories ranging from 20k to 600 dollars.
Am I correct in assuming that the internet-only brands do not get much recognition?
Thumbed through the other audiophile magazines and their top recommended speakers, fact remains-no axioms. I'm pretty sure there were lesser brands there!
Thoughts, anyone?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Stereophile Top 500-Why No Axioms? - 04/08/04 02:42 AM
Who was advertising in Stereophile that month, I wonder...
Posted By: rotipom Re: Stereophile Top 500-Why No Axioms? - 04/08/04 02:51 AM
Pretty new to this, so is that how it works? Ad-biased?
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Stereophile Top 500-Why No Axioms? - 04/08/04 03:22 AM
Stereophiles "reccomended Componets" section is only of gear that they have reviewed. And they havent ever reviewed Axioms, so thats why.

They like to stick to B&W, Musical Fidelity and most of that kind of stuff.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Stereophile Top 500-Why No Axioms? - 04/08/04 12:49 PM
I'm only guessing but they probably have as much credibility as Motor Trend's Car of the Year award.

Posted By: ravi_singh Re: Stereophile Top 500-Why No Axioms? - 04/08/04 02:25 PM
mags like to please their advertisers. If Axiom will never advertise with them, don't expect them to get a great review
that's why i don't trust those mags, i'd rather audioreview.com or the likes of this message board
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Stereophile Top 500-Why No Axioms? - 04/08/04 03:25 PM
Given that we're all unbiased as hell....
Posted By: rotipom Re: Stereophile Top 500-Why No Axioms? - 04/08/04 03:35 PM
LOL. Good point.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Stereophile Top 500-Why No Axioms? - 04/08/04 04:09 PM
Message boards in general can be a good or bad place for information. It's kind of like listening to movie reviews. You've got to filter out all the subjective and listen for the objective. You obviously can't listen to only one board either. (Especially a brand hosted board!)

Before I bought my first Axioms I had been reading raves about them on numerous boards and online reviews. The big stereo mags are great for finding out what's new, but as far as reviews go...again, filter out all their subjective crap and just read the objective substance. I've NEVER read a bad review in a magazine. But if you read between the lines you can pick out some good info.

Posted By: chesseroo Re: Stereophile Top 500-Why No Axioms? - 04/08/04 04:20 PM
In reply to:

The big stereo mags are great for finding out what's new, but as far as reviews go...again, filter out all their subjective crap and just read the objective substance. I've NEVER read a bad review in a magazine. But if you read between the lines you can pick out some good info.

I agree with that 100%.
Well said spiff.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Stereophile Top 500-Why No Axioms? - 04/08/04 05:15 PM
some of the UK mags will trash things if they don't like them, at least in car or bike reviews, not sure if that carrys over into the HT field.
© Axiom Message Boards