Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MikeS Anybody heard M&K speakers? - 04/18/04 06:16 AM
Particularly the s125:

http://www.mksound.com/s125.html

They look kinda like the m22ti's. Local store has them on sale for $349 each, regularly $775 each. Are they worth the $300/pair over the m22ti's?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Anybody heard M&K speakers? - 04/18/04 06:56 AM
I've heard a few M&Ks, and have not been impressed. They are supposed to be quite good, so the environments I heard them in may not have been optimal. The important question is, how do these speakers sound to you? (I mean, if they're in a local store, you can audition them, right?) Do they move you? Do you hear things you've never heard before?
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: Anybody heard M&K speakers? - 04/18/04 07:15 PM
check www.audioreview.com and read what other people have thought. that is a good place to start to find other consumers' opinions
Posted By: curtis Re: Anybody heard M&K speakers? - 04/18/04 09:56 PM
I have heard the S150. IMO, incredible detail and accuracy in the mids and treble....the do not have any bass and meant to be used with their sub.
Posted By: MikeS Re: Anybody heard M&K speakers? - 04/19/04 05:22 AM
Ya, I'm gonna go there tomorrow to listen to them. I checked out Audioreview but none of them make comparisons to the Axioms. For just a little more, one could even go with the Axiom m60s.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Anybody heard M&K speakers? - 04/19/04 04:02 PM
When I was putting together my HT setup, a co-worker of mine was also building a system. I opted for the Rotel/Axiom route, while he opted for the Anthem/M&K route. He spent nearly double what I did, and has been kicking himself in the butt ever since he visited my place and heard my system.

They're good, yeah, but WAAAY over priced. (Or is it that Axioms are way under priced?) Either way, you'll end up spending a pile of cash if you go the M&K route. (Unless you had planned on only buying that one pair of speakers for a 2 channel system.)

Posted By: pklin Re: Anybody heard M&K speakers? - 04/23/04 12:07 AM
I am currently building my Denon/Axiom HT setup right now, but up until a week ago I was getting a lot of advice from my co-worker who recently built a Denon/M&K HT system. I have been to the local "High End" HT specialty store to audition the M&Ks. While the M&Ks were indeed incredibly detailed in the treble and mid range, they really lacked in the low ranges, and the addition of their subs didn't help that much either (was watching a fight scene in "Saving Private Ryan"). I purchased a pair of M3s after another friend recommended Axioms (never heard about them prior). I was immediately impressed by the crisp details and full mids, and even more so by the overal warmth of the Axioms. Just for reference, I will be using a Denon 3805 Receiver with M22s (front), V150 (center), QS 8s (3 for a 6.1 setup), and a HSU STF-3 for sub in a 19'L x 14'W x 9'H dedicated home theater room.
Posted By: MikeS Re: Anybody heard M&K speakers? - 04/23/04 12:39 AM
Thanks for the advice folks. The speakers are actually for my parents. They decided to go with the M&K s125's. I have them with me right now, although I'll be taking them over to their place later to set them up.

I decided to do a little comparison with my m2i's (not a fair comparison considering the M&K retail for $1000/pair.) They got a pretty good deal on them though, $700 for the pair plus $300 for the center channel.

Anyways, the M&Ks are definately better than my m2i's (well they should be for the price. =p) Although the m2i's hold up well. The M&Ks go slightly deeper in bass. But the midrange and high end is definately clearer. Sometimes it's more noticable than others. It's more noticable on acoustic tracks than vocals. The treble is very clear, but not harsh or bright at all. The bass also seemed to have a bit more detail. They do not have a port.

Anyhow, this of course wasn't really a fair comparison. For the same amount of money one could get the m22ti's or the m60's. Although I don't think they are going to be much clearer than the m2i's are they? The M&Ks have a nice maple wood finish.

I'm still very happy with my m2i's and I haven't heard any speakers for the price that I like better.
© Axiom Message Boards