Axiom Home Page
Posted By: cleankutazn anyone have the chesky label cd's - 05/24/04 01:44 PM
are they really the best audiophile quality cd's?
Posted By: BBIBH Re: anyone have the chesky label cd's - 05/24/04 03:21 PM
That would depend on what your definition of "best" would be. I have several of these, as well as from other "audiophile" (their term, not mine) labels including:

- Reference Recordings, Linn, Sheffield, PentaTone Classics, Clarity, Opus 3, Proprius......etc.

Many of these have their own method of recording (analogue, original masters cut direct to disc, etc), and sound quality is typically very good.

One particular recording that is very widely recognized as a jazz classic is Jazz at the Pawnshop.
Posted By: KCSkins Re: anyone have the chesky label cd's - 05/24/04 05:36 PM
I don't know if they're the best, but the ones that I've got are the best sounding recordings in my collection, if that helps. I really enjoy their minimalistic approach to recording.

The CDs I've got are both Brazilian artists. Ana Caram's "Postcards from Rio" is my favorite. Badi Assad's "Solo" has some pretty incredible acoustic guitar playing on it, too.

Hope that helps.

Kevin
Posted By: cleankutazn Re: anyone have the chesky label cd's - 05/24/04 08:27 PM
Can there be an audiophile quality rock cd? because all I see are jazz and classical
Posted By: Ken.C Re: anyone have the chesky label cd's - 05/24/04 08:29 PM
Audiophile quality. Was that made up by a marketing department? If it's well mastered, it's audiophile. We'll just go mainstream for a second. Check out Metallica's S&M. Excellent mastering. Also check out Dave Matthew's Band (later CDs) Also high quality mastering. Sting: a-freakin-mazingly good mastering. Guess what--these guys aren't all on the same label.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: anyone have the chesky label cd's - 05/24/04 09:37 PM
Ken,

Actually, Sting's older stuff isn't all that well mastered. I was listening to Mercury Fallings at mwc's house on his Maggies, and some "deficiencies" revealed themselves, in the brass if I remember correctly.
Posted By: cleankutazn Re: anyone have the chesky label cd's - 05/24/04 09:38 PM
Which sting album is the best?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: anyone have the chesky label cd's - 05/24/04 09:47 PM
If you're going for Sting, make sure you like his newer stuff -- which is probably the best mastered -- before you buy it. Audio quality is important, but if you don't like the music...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: anyone have the chesky label cd's - 05/24/04 10:03 PM
Really. That surprises me a lot. However, Brand New Day is really good. I guess. Dammit, stop confusing me!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: anyone have the chesky label cd's - 05/24/04 10:04 PM
You'll ave to re-evaluate once you have the Axioms.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: anyone have the chesky label cd's - 05/24/04 10:13 PM
Any week now...

I still like the album.
Posted By: KCSkins Re: anyone have the chesky label cd's - 05/26/04 12:26 AM
I like "Nothing Like The Sun." Even though it's older, it's still a decent sounding DDD recording. I just got his newest 5.1 DVD-A disc for two reasons. First off, it's got a remix of "Send Your Love" which sounds great. And secondly, it was cheaper than the CD version. Go figure.
© Axiom Message Boards