Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Foghorn Video Upconversion - 07/17/04 04:34 PM
Does anybody know if any manufacturer sells a video upconversion device that can just be plugged into a system? Or do I have to accept the fact that I bought the wrong receiver 6 months ago (HK AVR 230) and decide to either live with it vs. spend the money for a new Denon?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Video Upconversion - 07/17/04 05:18 PM
What video are you trying to upconvert? composite->S-video or something->component?
Posted By: Foghorn Re: Video Upconversion - 07/17/04 05:27 PM
I'm trying to convert composite to component and S-video to component. Basically, I want a box that takes multiple composite, S-video, and component inputs and outputs a single component video signal - preferably one that requires no switching or signal to tell it which source to use - as long as I only have one source on, it processes that signal to component and outputs it.... the more I type, the more I realize I probably need to just stick with what I have for now....
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Video Upconversion - 07/17/04 05:30 PM
I don't know if you're going to find something that doesn't require switching. Unfortunately, I think that the boxes that convert to component are going to cost you more than that H/K did. In fact, the only way I can think of doing it is to put separate boxes on all the channels.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Video Upconversion - 07/17/04 05:34 PM
You do have a component device, right? I'm thinking a VCR with composite, a TiVo with S-vid, and a DVD player with component or something similar.
Posted By: Foghorn Re: Video Upconversion - 07/17/04 05:38 PM
Separate boxes on each channel won't work because I only have 2 component video inputs on the receiver and I have 4 sources. The truth is that having to push a few extra buttons on the remote is no big deal - once you figure it out. It's just confusing for my kids, wife and (especially) grandparents - so I'd like to make it easy on them if I could do it in a affordable way.
Posted By: Foghorn Re: Video Upconversion - 07/17/04 05:41 PM
"You do have a component device, right? I'm thinking a VCR with composite, a TiVo with S-vid, and a DVD player with component or something similar."

Exactly, plus a PS2 with component. The Cable/Tivo will soon be upgraded to component as well - at that point, I'm planning to hook the PS2 video directly into the TV...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Video Upconversion - 07/17/04 05:47 PM
So the TV has what in terms of inputs? Mine's so damn cheap, it's got s-vid and composite, but it can't switch between the two without plugging and unplugging...

I'm just trying to get a picture of how bad it is.
Posted By: Foghorn Re: Video Upconversion - 07/17/04 05:54 PM
The TV is a new Sony WEGA with 2 component inputs, and multiple composite and S-video inputs (7 total inputs, some of which can be S-video or composite)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Video Upconversion - 07/17/04 06:04 PM
Sweet... Sounds like what you need is a universal remote with macros. That could solve your problems. Several people around here recommend the Home Theater Master MX700 remotes, and I've also heard good things about the Harmony remotes.
Posted By: Foghorn Re: Video Upconversion - 07/17/04 06:38 PM
The problem with using a universal remote with macros is that the TV doesn't have separate buttons/inputs to press "Video 1" or "Video 2" etc. You have to scroll through from Video 1 to Video 7...so you can't program a macro to set the receiver to DVD and the TV to Video 6. That's why the Video Upconversion seemed like the easiest way to go.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Video Upconversion - 07/17/04 06:49 PM
Hmm. There may be a way to have a remote select a particular input. You could always have it click the appropriate number of times for the scroll, I guess. Anyone else got any ideas? I'm running out...
Posted By: Foghorn Re: Video Upconversion - 07/17/04 06:54 PM
Thanks for your time and interest. I've thought about programming macros so that you could just turn the whole system on and see what it is set on then find the push the macro to convert from where you are to where you want to be, for example, "DVD --> CableTV" or "CableTV --> VCR" so it would scroll enough times to get it right, but that seems like more trouble than it's worth.
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: Video Upconversion - 07/17/04 06:56 PM
Nope - the Harmony remote that I have (the "family remote") works perfect with my Sony Wega. I have my Cable box set to Vid1, my VCR set to Vid 2 and the DVD to Vid 4. It will scroll through the videos just like you would on your remote. In addition, it'dd add the 16:19 enhanced "squeeze" feature on the VEGA automatically.

Posted By: Ajax Re: Video Upconversion - 07/17/04 06:58 PM
My TV doesn't have "discrete" buttons for each input either, and I still use a universal remote (the aforementioned MX-700) with macros. It works fine for me.

When I want to watch a DVD I start my macro, it turns on the TV, the receiver and the DVD player, calls up the video source menu on the TV (it's usually on s-video 1 for regular TV watching), moves the cursor the appropriate number of times to the DVI input, selects the DVI input, switches the receiver to "DVD," and opens the drawer on the DVD player. I put in the DVD, and I'm good to go. . The MX-700 is highly programmable, and you do it right on your computer, then upload it to the remote. Fabulous!

There are video upconverters available, but a quick Google search came up with $500 to $600 converters.
Posted By: Foghorn Re: Video Upconversion - 07/17/04 06:58 PM
It scrolls and knows when it gets to Video 3 (or Video 6 or whatever)? Or do you have to start from Video 1 or what? I'm intrigued.
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: Video Upconversion - 07/17/04 07:46 PM
Sorry - it knows where you started from, and scrolls from there. Very easy to set up too.
Posted By: Foghorn Re: Video Upconversion - 07/17/04 09:02 PM
Great! Thanks. I'll look into it.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Video Upconversion - 07/17/04 10:08 PM
Foghorn - I've got both the Sony GWII and an MX-700. Fabulous combination. Take a trip over to Remote Central and 1) read the review on the MX-700, 2) go to the "Files" section for the MX-700 and download the MX-Editor software and programming manual, 3) look through the files for the MX-700. Users have uploaded them for folks to copy/use and 4) go into the
"Phillips Pronto and Pronto Pro" files (they are .ccf files). You can also spend some time noodling around in the "Home Theater Master" forum on the site. Wealth of information.

The programming manual will explain all to you and you can play with the MX-Editior software and build yourself an entire file. BTW, I much prefer the Pronto .ccf files. There are over 6000 of them and the .ccf files allow for drag & drop of individual commands into the MX-700.

Whew, having said all of that - I have every one of the discrete codes set up on the 700 from the .ccf files. I set up a separate device on the 700 for Video (to scroll) and VIDs 1 through 7. Also, I have the specific VID command on each applicable device to allow me to get there with a single button puse.

The macro capability of the 700 is extremely powerful and I have also set it up to allow one button to move me from whatever I am watching/listening to to what I want to move to. Take a look at my profile - all of the equipment is handled by the MX-700.

Couple of other things. First, in one of the menu options on the Sony, you can turn off the VIDs that aren't in use. This minimizes scrolling effort. Also, you will see mention of "SurfRemoteControl" at Remote Central. These folks get high marks and are authorized dealers for the MX-700. They have the MX-700 available as an for "Open box special" for 189.95. That's how I got mine, based on research, and they arrive in pristine condition and at a substantial discount.

Perhaps tomtuttle or Ajax will weigh in here - they also have the MX-700. WhatFurrer was also looking.

I can't recommend this remote highly enough. With software and available files, the thing is pretty much a no-brainer, especially based on the reason you want it.

Hope this is helpful.
Posted By: Foghorn Re: Video Upconversion - 07/18/04 01:40 AM
Very helpful, thanks. I'm not that computer savvy, but I may have to give it a try.
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: Video Upconversion - 07/18/04 12:55 PM
To chime back in on the harmony side of the camp. Go to harmonyremote.com and check out the Harmony Remote "H659." After that, go to Epinions.com and check out the reviews there of the comments there. (I've got one that goes into detail about my first impressions - which haven't changed since).

Then, if you're still interested, check out Bluedo.com. THey are an authorized dealer (so you still get the warranty). I think I paid around $120 for mine.

In re: internet/computer discrete files. I have no experience with the whole discrete file download scenario. But the harmony has internet capability and a home theater wizard which asks you what components you have, and then automatically gives your remote the discrete codes that it needs. Best of all, if you have any trouble, you fool around with the set up on your computer to fix it. then you plug the remote into your computer, and voila - easy-peasy-japaneasy. In addition, they have a 24 hours service help.
© Axiom Message Boards