Axiom Home Page
Posted By: cleankutazn Bi-amping - 07/27/04 02:09 PM
Is it possible to bypass the crossover in the M80's so I can truly have a biamp setup?
Posted By: mhorgel Re: Bi-amping - 07/27/04 02:15 PM
I'm not sure you would want to do that. Wouldn't sending a full range signal to a tweeter damage it? Also, you would have overlap between the ranges of your woofers and mids and have a boost in the output in these frequencies? Wouldn't this unnaturally color the sound?

I'm not an expert in bi-amping by any means, but it seems that taking the crossover out of the equation would not be a good thing unless you had a parametric equalizer in the circuit somewhere.

Mark
Posted By: cleankutazn Re: Bi-amping - 07/27/04 09:38 PM
Yeah I planned to have an electronic crossover for each amp but the problem is how would I send the treble frequencies to the tweeters only...because they are also connected to the mids by the crossover.
Posted By: mhorgel Re: Bi-amping - 07/28/04 08:37 PM
As I understend it, bi-amping would use one amp to power the woofers, and a second amp to power the mids and tweeters. In this scenario, why would you need to send the signal to the tweeters only? The M-80 has 2 sets of connectors, one of which goes to the woofers, and the other to the mids and tweeters, in order to facilitate bi-amping. Why would you want to take the crossover, which is designed especially for the one purpose of separating the mid and high frequencies in an M-80, out of the loop and replace it with a crossover not designed for the job? How would you power the mids and tweeters separately? Wouldn't you have to tri-amp?

Mark
© Axiom Message Boards