Axiom Home Page
Posted By: TKHanson Stereo Component Assistence Needed - 12/31/04 09:34 PM
Could someone please provide me a link or an explanation as to why I would need a pre amp to run a new set of M80ti speakers? I'm about to buy a set and build my home Stereo system around them (I have no components yet). I found that many folks prefer to have a separate amplifier to power loudspeakers; however, I don't understand why this is done, if you can purchase a 5.1 receiver that has lots of power.

Any advise where to educate myself on this topic? My greatest concern is that I buy the proper components to let me power both loudspeakers; my input would be CD and Movies—nothing more.

Thanks in advance!

Posted By: SirQuack Re: Stereo Component Assistence Needed - 01/01/05 12:54 AM
You don't have to have seperates to drive m80's. Make sure you purchase a AV receiver that will handle the 4ohm load of the M80's. Denon, HK, NAD, and many have Yammy's or Elites with no problems. Axiom usually says HK or Denon. The 80's can handle lots of power so you can always add an amp later. Some people will use a 2 channel amp to drive the M80's and let the rest of their system use the AV receiver. I would also consider at least a 6.1 or 7.1 system instead of 5.1.

good luck

© Axiom Message Boards