Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiroh Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/08/05 06:32 PM
Are the Axioms a very detailed speaker? Do they ever get sibilant at all?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/08/05 06:46 PM
Very detailed? Yes.
Sibilant? Depends entirely on the quality of the recording.

Axioms are very revealing speakers. Garbage in, garbage out.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/09/05 12:25 AM
Very accurate, detailed, and some of the best sounding speakers I've ever heard or auditioned. I'll probably be an Axiom owner forever, as long as the company keeps getting it right.

Posted By: Ray3 Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/09/05 01:02 AM
The speakers are not sibilant in the least. The onlly mention I have heard of sibilance is a thread buried somewhere in th e forum (search on "sibilance") from quite a few months back. If I remember correctly (like THAT ever happens anymore ), the sibilance was slight and the resolution was entirely resolved by repostioning the VP150 a few inches forward or backward in relation to the M60 fronts. Long story short - sibilance is a non-issue.

If you want a feel for the M60s, go listen to some B&W 703s - they are virtually identical (703s are 3X the price of the M60s). You won't find anything to listen to similar to the QS8s - nothing even approaches this fabulous animal.

To underscore Randy's point - Axiom just gets it right.
Posted By: joema Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/09/05 01:03 AM
Axioms are often described as detailed, clear, even "bright". I've never heard artificial sibilance.

By contrast on my old vinyl LPs I often heard sibilance. Speakers: Pioneer HPM-100 (similar to JBL L-100). I assume it was the vinyl or the Shure V15 cartridge.

On the exact same CD albums and Axiom speakers I don't hear that.
Posted By: spiroh Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/09/05 01:58 AM
I dont mind detail and forward sounding speakers, thats what I prefer, but I cant stand sibilance. I was thinking of purchasing the Axiom M60, the Ascend 340 and the Swan 6.1s and keep the one I like the best. I will also try to see if I can get my hands on a Nautilus 804. If any of you know people that wouldnt mind me auditioning any of thsese speakers in the Chicagoland area please let me know. Thanks.
Posted By: Wid Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/09/05 02:48 AM
I live in Il.about 50 miles south of Chicago.If you would like to hear a set of M80s PM me.They are in a 2.1 set up with a HSU STF 3.
Posted By: spiroh Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/09/05 03:25 AM
Thanks a lot. I will pm you.
Posted By: Wid Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/09/05 03:27 AM
Sounds good.
Posted By: al1en Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/09/05 04:53 PM
What I do get in my basement is occasional "peaking" of a specific frequency at loud volumes. This usual happens on the high end of the scale during a guitar solo. I like the high end being detailed on the M60s but this little issue means having to limit the volume. I have tried to find the specific freqency range with the Denon 3805 parametric equalizer but no luck so far.

I know this is probably a room issue, but I have lot's of furniture in there including bookcases, couches etc and I'm not ready to spend hundreds on room treatments.

Any thoughts on possible cures guys???
Posted By: JSkip Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/09/05 05:12 PM
Sibilant?

sib·i·lant - Of, characterized by, or producing a hissing sound like that of (s) or (sh): the sibilant consonants; a sibilant bird call.

Oh, that sibilance. Sorry I'm just a dumb engineer!
Posted By: spiroh Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/09/05 11:12 PM
Just heard the Axiom 80s. First I would like to thank Rick for taking the time out of his day to let me hear the axioms. The axioms sounded exactly how I envisioned them to sound like. They were forward sounding, very detailed and without any sibilance(What I was looking for). I listen to trance/techno and have a few songs that tend to become sibilant on forward sounding speakers. Not the Axioms. They did an excellent job reproducing the sound without any sibilance and with great detail. I couldnt believe the detail the axioms had. I can buy the axioms right now and be a very happy man. I will still try and listen to the swans and ascends so that I can make sure I have no doubts on what I purchase. But so far I can honestly say I was really impressed with the Axioms.
Posted By: spiroh Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/09/05 11:16 PM
Now to my other question. Aside from power handling what advantages do you get with the 80s over the 60s? Oh and btw, the bass on the 80s was excellent. I could not believe it was coming from 2 6.5s. You can definitely run the towers without a sub in a small room.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/09/05 11:25 PM
The M80s come into play for a variety of reasons:

1) They sound the same as the M60s, their advantage is that they have more headroom.

2) They are better than the M60s in a very large space. I don't remember the size, but it's bigger than most rooms we see.

3) They provide bragging rights.

Unless you have a realy big space or can't get enough ear bleeding, the M60s would fit most needs. Certainly doesn't hurt to move up to the M80s if that's what you'd like.
Posted By: Wid Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/09/05 11:47 PM
Spiroh,

It was my pleasure having you down for an audition.That was my very first in home audition.I believe that was the only time I ever let someone else use the remote for the stereo.At first we listened to the music with the STF 3 in play.Then just to audition the M80s i took the sub out of the system,quite easy using the ICMB.To tell ya the truth even I was a bit suprised on how much bass the 80s had.It's been well over a year since I listened to them by their self

I am glad you were pleased with what you heard.As far as the M60s go,I have never heard them.I would bet in the size room you say you were putting them in you would be quite pleased with the M60s also.

Don't forget to keep in touch for a day of fishing,I'll get ya out on the lake for some of the big cats.

Posted By: SirQuack Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/10/05 12:11 AM
I agree with Ray3, the 60's are very similar to the 80's. If you go with 80's make sure you can drive 4 ohm speakers. The 60's also can be used in very large rooms. I luv mine, spend the xtra money on a kick a$$ sub
Posted By: mwc Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/10/05 03:57 AM
In reply to:

That was my very first in home audition.

Gratifying isn't it? I've had 4 Axiom members visit my home for audition/listening session and everyone of them has been just a delight to visit with. You meet some of the nicest people here and it just amazes me that this board is so friendly that people actually visit each other. I bet there isn't any other audio board where members actually visit each other.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. I just couldn't contain myself.

Posted By: Wid Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/10/05 04:07 AM
Mike,

Yes it was a very good time.Spiroh was a fine young man to talk to and listen to music with.It is nice to share with others that appreciate music as much as I do.I would do it again anytime.
Posted By: mwc Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/10/05 04:18 AM
Yeah, me too.
Posted By: spiroh Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/12/05 05:21 PM
I just purchased the M80s. I really loved the way they sounded, so I decided to fork over the exra cash and get them over the 60s. I didnt want to risk having any type of regrets.
Posted By: BigWill Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/12/05 07:27 PM
Congrats! What finish?
Posted By: spiroh Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/12/05 07:37 PM
black oak
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/12/05 07:48 PM
Did you ever get a chance to listen to the other speakers, or did you decide that there wasn't any point?
Posted By: Wid Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/12/05 07:49 PM
Glad to see ya liked the 80s enough to get ya some .Really congrats on your new speakers.
Posted By: spiroh Re: Axioms detailed? Sibilant? - 01/12/05 07:54 PM
TO be honest after listening to the M80 I thought there wa sno point. I did get a chance to listen to the Swans and they sounded excellent and by far were much better looking than the Axioms. The Swans were a more neutral and pretty detailed speaker. What sold me over to the M80 is i like the forwardness and more detail that the M80 gave me. But wow do those Swans look good.
© Axiom Message Boards