Rotel RA-1062 integrated amp
Panasonic 310A dvd player
Motorola digital cable box
Panasonic 27" tv

Here's what I want to do!

M2i's wall mounted
27" LCD wall mounted
and move the gear into the wall.

Behind that entire wall is a walk-in closet, so all wiring could be done through that for a very clean setup. It would also provide extremely easy access to the back of all the components.

The idea is that it'll make the place look better, and add some value to the townhouse for what should be little expense. I already have all the gear except the TV. Moving the light switch, and cutting a hole in the wall and adding some nice in-wall shelving shouldn't cost too much...should it?

What say you good people?

Posted By: Ajax Re: Bedroom setup - 01/13/05 12:38 AM
I think it's a GREAT idea. Look at all the floor space you reclaim, and the "clean" look that results. Can't help on the cost part of it, but I don't think it would be horribly expensive.
Posted By: BlueStater Re: Bedroom setup - 01/13/05 12:40 AM
I like it! Sub under the bed? If the room's a-rockin'...
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Bedroom setup - 01/13/05 12:42 AM
Hey, aren't you the dude that told me to put MY equipment in my closet?

Dude, you got a thing for the look of custom installs? I sense a new career!

I think yours is a good idea! Are you thinking that you would basically have a hole in the wall with equipment on shelves behind the hole? If so, I don't think it will increase the value of the townhouse. I think it needs to be finished on the inside "walls" alongside the equipment.... Maybe a pro to do some sheetrock and a molding to match the closet doors?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Bedroom setup - 01/13/05 01:01 AM
Craig, I think that's a great idea, and I think you can and should do the work yourself. This is not a very high risk project since you can hide any mistakes in the closet.

Do the switches go to the closet lights or room lights?

Do what Mark said about the molding; trim to match the closets.

Cool Project! I like it!
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Bedroom setup - 01/13/05 01:13 AM
Get the sledge hammers out. Let the remodeling begin.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Bedroom setup - 01/13/05 01:25 AM
Hey, Craig, why not invite everyone and make it a beer tasting party... THEN we'll get to the sledgehammers!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Bedroom setup - 01/13/05 01:34 AM
Those two switches in the before picture are to lights in the closet.

I'd definately want it to look clean and finished. Like it was meant to be in the room that way, rather than I poked a hole in the wall to save space in the room. If it doesn't look right, it'll actually lower the value of my place!

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Bedroom setup - 01/13/05 04:01 AM
I like the idea of the doors, but I can just see a non-audio person coming in later and going, "What the heck was this for? Who knows...."

That sort of thing always seems to happen...
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Bedroom setup - 01/13/05 04:28 AM
craig, i think that is an awesome idea.. hope you can make it happen, and update us as you go along.

bigjohn
Posted By: Daphoid Re: Bedroom setup - 01/13/05 06:41 AM
Good plan, but do some painting too, white is plain... also, man those doors are narrow!

Either that or I'm just used to the 34" and 36" doors in our house.

- D
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Bedroom setup - 01/13/05 11:49 AM
Craig-
If it were me, I would install a higher-than-normal little "ceiling" in there and inset a lampholder up and underneath. You can fit it with a 15 watt bulb for softly lighting the equipment and later, if you move, put glass shelves in there instead and say it's a curios thingie.

I know ALL 'dem deco-ratin' terms!
Posted By: TurboDog1 Re: Bedroom setup - 01/13/05 11:56 AM
Spiff - I think that this will be a good look, as long as you do the finish work that you've described.

Questions:
1. Is it one continual long closet w/ 2 doors?
2. If not, what's in between the two closets?
3. Judging by the picture and what appears to be the kitchen, it looks like the closet is not extremely deep. Is this the case? If so, have you looked at how much this is going to trim off of your walking space? If it's a lot, you may actually hurt your future sales options. People are picky about their closet space.

Suggestion: Be careful when you first cut into the wall. With two electrical switches nearby, who knows if there is any crazy wire routing in there.....or even some pipes running through. It may be worth cutting out a small horizintal strip to take a look at what's behind there before you dig a huge chunk of your drywall out.

Good Luck
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Bedroom setup - 01/13/05 04:48 PM
I want Mark to come do my house. Great idea.

Craig, I'm with Turbodog; don't forget that you're going to lose a big chunk of closet floorspace in this process. I'd be tempted to just put those switches IN the closet, if that's what they control. Cleaner and easier, I'd think.
Posted By: KCSkins Re: Bedroom setup - 01/13/05 06:45 PM
Craig-

Nice setup. Are you going to stick with the Boston Cherry finish? I say you do a custom color for this set, instead. Be daring. Go wild. You only live once if you're lucky. Since a few people think you should change the paint scheme on the walls from white to something else, maybe you should try to find a cool looking custom color that would go well with the room? Just something else to think about.

Good luck-
Kev
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Bedroom setup - 01/13/05 07:13 PM
1) It's on continual closet space.

2) That's the bathroom...It's fairly deep, and there's already a bookcase against the wall that the gear would be sitting in. So it wouldn't be much deep than what's already there.

3) We just did paint! It's not realy white, it's almond cream. We're NOT painting again! It was a huge hassle!

4) Removing both switches from the wall and just having the switch inside the closet is a better idea. Thanks.

5) Nice trim and interior lighting would indeed be nice.

6) Showed Roger the before and after pics last night and he's not keen on the in-wall gear. He's an odd one.

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Bedroom setup - 01/13/05 07:23 PM
In reply to:

Showed Roger the before and after pics last night and he's not keen on the in-wall gear.

Sign him up on these boards, we'll talk to him!
© Axiom Message Boards