Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mamzh can I connect my M60s to two amps? - 04/13/05 10:28 PM
I have M60s, and I want to know if I connect them to two amps? One is a AV receiver for movie and the other one is a tube amp for 2-channel music. So I don't have to take banana plugs in and out when I switch between watching movie and listening to the music. I just need to turn off one amp first, and then, turn on the other one. Does this connection cause any problem?
Thanks for your advice!

Posted By: pmbuko Re: can I connect my M60s to two amps? - 04/13/05 10:46 PM
If I understand you correctly, your system would look like this:

AV Receiver=======M60s=======tube amp

I wouldn't recommend doing this. Even though the amp that's not in use will be turned off, it is still part of the circuit and the amp that is on will "see" it and treat it as a load on the wire.

You might want to invest in a speaker selector box instead.
Posted By: bridgman Re: can I connect my M60s to two amps? - 04/13/05 11:01 PM
Agreed. Most amps will present some kind of load even when turned off and there is some chance you could damage the AV receiver. Go with a switch box.
Posted By: Saturn Re: can I connect my M60s to two amps? - 04/14/05 12:42 AM
Tube amps have to be always connected to some speakers when turned on. It can not be connected to a switch box. Otherwise it will burn up the tubes and destroy the output transformer. A tube amp will go into self induced oscillation and will eventually destroy itself.
Posted By: bridgman Re: can I connect my M60s to two amps? - 04/14/05 01:40 AM
Good point. Guess we're talking about a 4PDT switch box that connects each amp to a load resistor when not connected to the speaker.

Don't know if anyone sells something like that so might be a DIY affair.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: can I connect my M60s to two amps? - 04/14/05 02:10 AM
Why not just run the tube amp off the pre-outs for the fronts on the reciever? That way, no switching!
Posted By: bridgman Re: can I connect my M60s to two amps? - 04/14/05 02:55 AM
Do you mean "always using the tube amp, even for HT" ? I'm guessing the problem with that is not enough power for that ungodly loud movie playing but it's a good question.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: can I connect my M60s to two amps? - 04/14/05 03:41 AM
I really don't use that much more volume for movies than music, but maybe I'm atypical. Besides, it's just driving two channels.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: can I connect my M60s to two amps? - 04/14/05 12:17 PM
does anyone know if they make a speaker switch box that is 2.1?
Posted By: Ajax Re: can I connect my M60s to two amps? - 04/14/05 12:52 PM
Russound Speaker Selector. Click on the "details" link for more info and a photo. Click on the "back" link for a list of more selectors.
© Axiom Message Boards