Axiom Home Page
Posted By: darren700 Painfully Bright Material - 09/26/05 11:21 PM
ok, i just bought this cd by a band called bleed the dream (Bleed the dream - built by blood) and it sounds good on my sony isolating earbuds, and my van stereo, as well as my logitech speakers on my computer, however, as soon as i put the cd in my dvd player and play through the axioms it is literly painfully bright to the point where i dont want to listen to it, is there any way to tame this "brightness" (tried lowering treble on avr, not much better) could i possibly be my electronics? or is it purely the source material to blame?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Painfully Bright Material - 09/26/05 11:43 PM
When in doubt, blame the source. But seriously, if it were your electronics, then almost everything you played would sound bright, no?
Posted By: darren700 Re: Painfully Bright Material - 09/26/05 11:49 PM
well it really depends on the kind of music, some genres are alot brighter then others, but usually it doesnt really bother me.. im still thinking that it could just be that my yamaha is making the already bright source material brighter...yikes lol..oh well cant solve this anytime soon, not getting another avr till like march
Posted By: Wid Re: Painfully Bright Material - 09/27/05 12:06 AM

I doubt another receiver will do ya any better with that material.This is more than likely another case of the recording not being mastered very well.
Posted By: simboticus Re: Painfully Bright Material - 09/27/05 12:41 AM
I just bought "Gorillaz - Demon Days" it's also painfully bright, I can't listen to it on my Axiom system, hurts my ears. But in the car, or on the iPod, it's fine.

I think they do this on purpose for some types of music, pop, that they expect to get a lot of radio play. Since most car radios are pretty poor quality, the bright recording stands out over the road noise? just a theory.
Posted By: darren700 Re: Painfully Bright Material - 09/27/05 12:56 AM
i think you got a good theory going on there, i think most people here would agree about the way it is mixed
Posted By: JohnK Re: Painfully Bright Material - 09/27/05 01:24 AM
Darren, no there's no problem with your receiver. Apparently certain frequencies in those recordings are boosted to make them appear more impressive on mediocre equipment. If turning the treble control down doesn't help much, the problem may be more in the mid-range rather than the treble, and would need the use of an equalizer which could lower the mid-range frequencies. Another factor may be that those recordings are just plain distorted and clip on peaks regardless of what is done.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Painfully Bright Material - 09/27/05 06:04 PM
If you have any way to take down the 3-5 KHz region that should help a lot. Your receiver seems to have a built-in eq for the center channel only (SET MENU 5) which might help a bit if you pick a surround mode which puts a fair amount of signal in the center channel.
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Painfully Bright Material - 09/27/05 08:26 PM
Darren,
thanks for the tip on Bleed the Dream, i was going to pick that up the other day when they came through S'toon because I didn't get a chance to see them live. Might have to rethink that.
Posted By: darren700 Re: Painfully Bright Material - 09/27/05 09:16 PM
its a pretty good cd, just not on my axioms the singer reminds me alot of cody banks from papa roach, pretty much this band is what papa roach sounded like if they were hardcore with a bit of emo thrown in...
Posted By: BrenR Re: Painfully Bright Material - 09/28/05 12:29 AM
In reply to:

if they were hardcore with a bit of emo thrown in...

Hardcore... with a bit of emo thrown in?

That's like "wow, this band sounds a lot like ABBA... but if they were more like Cryptic Slaughter with a bit of Anne Murray thrown in.

Bren R.
Posted By: darren700 Re: Painfully Bright Material - 09/28/05 01:04 AM
lol, its weird like some songs are hardcore while others are nu-metal or emo... really a gender bending band, not the greatest but still alot better than the garbage on the radio..
Posted By: player8 Re: Painfully Bright Material - 09/28/05 06:02 AM
Thats wierd. I didn't find Demon Days bright at all. Then again, I don't find many of my albums bright. Maybe me likes bright music?
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Painfully Bright Material - 09/28/05 09:23 PM
hmmm, might be interesting. I haven't really heard any of their music (I usually download before i buy, but i haven't been able to download any of their stuff).

The mention of nu metal scares me though.....

Speaking of bright, I was dissapointed in the quality of the Pearl Jam digital downloads from their concerts. I took in the S'toon concert 3 weeks ago and have since downloaded the show. It appeared to be a little on the hot side, but that was listening in the car so maybe quality will be better on the Axioms. I sure hope because I was looking forward to downloading a couple of other shows from their Canadian tour.

By the way, great concert. The band looked like they were very relaxed and having an absolute blast. Eddie was into the sauce a bit and crawled into the crowd. If anyone has a chance to check them out at the end of their tour leg (next week), i'd highly recommend it.
Posted By: darren700 Re: Painfully Bright Material - 09/28/05 10:45 PM
i did download the album before i bought it, saw it in the store for a decent price and bought it. about the pearl jam.. its a concert recording, what do you expect, most of them arnt the greatest quality regardless of the band
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Painfully Bright Material - 09/29/05 03:34 PM
actually i was quite impressed with the quality of the recordings on their last tour, they seemed to be mixed very well. You are right though, maybe it's too much for me to expect them to have primo quality downloads of the concert available within 24 hours.
Posted By: darren700 Re: Painfully Bright Material - 10/08/05 03:27 PM
it was just the mastering of the recording, as i downloaded one of bleed the dream's other albums and it sounds beautiful on my axioms...
Posted By: noigarret Re: Painfully Bright Material - 10/16/05 07:24 PM
I just bought an East Sound Stereo Integrated and find badly mastered cd's painfully bright. I am thinking a tube buffer stage might smooth things out.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Painfully Bright Material - 10/18/05 09:45 PM
free bump
© Axiom Message Boards