Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pmbuko A sign of things to come? - 10/09/05 07:55 PM
Polk Audio has just announced a line of in-wall/ceiling speakers that are actively amped, include a programmable DSP, and are networkable. That's right, you can give these suckers an IP address and have them on your network receiving lossless streaming audio from your computer or other networkable music device.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/hidden/ip/lc265i-ip/
Posted By: Ken.C Re: A sign of things to come? - 10/09/05 08:58 PM
Drooool... Ian?

Pity they're only compatible with MP3 and WAV, though...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: A sign of things to come? - 10/09/05 10:21 PM
I'm sure other manufacturers will jump on board soon enough. Imagine just having to run Cat6 for all your voice, data, audio (and video?) needs.
Posted By: BlueStater Re: A sign of things to come? - 10/10/05 06:59 AM
Already have Cat6 and fiber. Waiting for 10GB appliances...
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: A sign of things to come? - 10/10/05 06:03 PM
HA! 10GB? What would that be for, a new multichannel format something like 1000.1 surround sound?

The IP speaker idea is interesting, curious as to the sound. I know some companies are trying to do WiFi speakers but no one's shown that's audiophile quality. The Bluetooh ones leave something to be desired.
Posted By: hashts Re: A sign of things to come? - 10/12/05 12:50 AM
Sounds cool when you first read about it but wouldn't it make more sense to have your a/v receiver accept the network connection? That way you can convert any type of signal to surround using the included DTS Neo:6 or Dolby IIx processing, use your receiver's eq settings, etc.

This just means adding another set of CAT5/6 wires to all speakers when you can have just one network cable hooked up to the receiver (which is already connected to your speakers via speaker cable). And as Ken already stated, only works with MP3 and wav.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: A sign of things to come? - 10/18/05 09:46 PM
free bump
Posted By: N_tennant Re: A sign of things to come? - 10/19/05 02:57 PM
^^^^^
irritating
Posted By: pmbuko Re: A sign of things to come? - 10/19/05 06:48 PM
Sure, but not as irritating as newbies who criticize regulars.
© Axiom Message Boards