Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Jinx round sub box or square??? - 11/29/05 06:24 AM
which is better? i see HSU and SVS both use both round and square. is one better than the other?
Posted By: bridgman Re: round sub box or square??? - 11/29/05 02:14 PM
SVS seemed to sum it up pretty well on their site :

- cylinders are a bit lighter and less expensive to build for a given cabinet size, are easier to move around and take up a lot less floor space

- box subs are generally considered to be better looking, SEEM smaller for a given cabinet size, and are easier to finish in a way that fits nicely into a living room. It's also kind of hard to make a cylinder sub with multiple drivers

Since tuning for low frequencies seems to need long ports (I forget the math), I think it was easier to fit the required port tubes into a cylinder design (because they are tall and skinny, not because they are round). If you pull apart an SVS cylinder the port tubes run almost the full height of the box, and if you look at the Hsu turbo option the ports snake out the back and fold around in order to fit in a reasonable space.

One caution -- the cylinder look seems really sharp at first but you can get tired of it fairly quickly while box subs seem to be "timeless"
Posted By: ratpack Re: round sub box or square??? - 11/30/05 04:07 AM
Not sure that I can agree with your assertion that you can get tired of the cylinder.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: round sub box or square??? - 11/30/05 04:51 AM
You have to think outside the box...
Posted By: Jinx Re: round sub box or square??? - 11/30/05 06:24 AM
any idea when the new HSU vtf3 MKII HO will be out? i sold one 15" def tech, still have one more for sale.
Posted By: sssutherland Re: round sub box or square??? - 11/30/05 06:41 AM
Hsu hasn't given a definitive date but December has been mention numerous times on the Hsu boards.

Posted By: HAY Re: round sub box or square??? - 12/01/05 06:11 AM
If they are available in December on their site you will probably not be seeing them in Canada for awhile. That is if you plan on buying one from a dealer in Canada.

I spoke with a few shops in a 50km radius and no one really knew anything about the new models and suggested calling the distributor directly. None of them expected to see the new models for 4-6 months..
© Axiom Message Boards