Axiom Home Page
Posted By: 2x6spds Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/15/06 06:23 PM
Finally found a perfect example of the H.H. Scott 330D Stereomaster tube AM/FM tuner.

Thanks to 'radioguy' for the pictures:

The one I found has a perfect Walnut cabinet. Just found an upgrade kit (new capacitors, resistors, FREDs, tubes).

This thing is fine looking!
Posted By: bridgman Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/15/06 06:48 PM
Very nice. What is a FRED ?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/15/06 06:54 PM
Fast REecovery DiodeS
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/15/06 09:26 PM
Wow, that does look nice. What is the actual size of the unit?
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/15/06 10:09 PM
You know I'll never own tube equipment, but I've got to admit when it comes to design they have such a great "look" to them. Sort of a Buck Rogers meets Art Deco. I love it.

I've never understood why todays commodity equipment all has to look like a microwave oven minus the window. The most daring thing thats happening lately is discovering a colour other than black.

Please feel free to insert a smilie where ever you need one.
Posted By: RickF Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/15/06 10:11 PM
Wayne I agree fully. Compared with most all tube amps I've witnessed the digital and solid state stuff looks boring.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/15/06 10:43 PM
Ah,...back in the days of the fabled 10-B, back when Sansui did something daring and made their amps......black!!

.....I may be a bit rusty on memories, but seems to me that the 10-B with the miltipath scope cost Marantz so much money to develope that they ended up selling out to Superscope.

Aw...what did I do with that old dusty/musty stack of "Hi-Fi Stereo Review"??!!
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/15/06 11:02 PM
Next time I'm in the garage, I'll measure it, but it looks to be an almost standard size component. I have it sitting atop my Kenwood KT8005 tuner, and it is just a tad smaller in width and depth.

I'm going to make some more brass hocky puck feet for it (3), should be beautiful. Here's a picture of some brass pucks atop a Michaura M665 speaker.

There's a marine salvage place near me, and once in a while they have a brass prop driveshaft lying around - I have them cut me some slices, shine them up and put a bit of felt on them so they don't do any damage.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/15/06 11:22 PM
Here's a picture of what I think is the Scott 350B mounted on Mapleshade's maple stand and brass bigfeet.

They tweak, upgrade and sell refurbished Scott tuners, amps and receivers along with their great speaker wire and interconnects.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/15/06 11:45 PM
Yes, a nice Marantz 10-B will run you about $2500-3000 today ... used of course.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/16/06 03:56 AM
15.5" x 12" x 5.5" (W/D/H)
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/16/06 04:04 AM
Thanks! You're right it's just about normal component size. For some reason it looked small to me.

Hope it sounds good. For me, I can't think of much stuff on the radio I'd listen to at home. Maybe because I haven't bothered trying to find something in years. Well, now that I think about it, I used to use the radio to listen to ball games. Now, though, almost all the games are televised.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/16/06 04:37 AM
That's a nice looking piece of equipment. I betcha AM never sounded better.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/16/06 05:51 AM
Yes, I've been told it has the best AM section of any tuner. This isn't an upgraded transistor radio, this is a TUBE tuner. I listen to fascist talk radio (won't listen to the Commies any more), ball games, and music (my garage tuner (Kenwood KT8005) during car washing.

The Scott is an absolutely beautiful piece of equipment, I'll use it either with my 2 channel tube system or with the office system (it'll be a perfect visual match with the champagne finish on the Sony TA E9000ES processor - I think it'll make a nice sonic match as well.)
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/16/06 01:55 PM
Oh Wow!!

Congratulations on your find!!(gotta clean my reading glasses...uh, gotta get some reading glasses)I thought you were just sharing some photos!

To say I'm extreemly envious is mearly scratching the surface of my feelings!!

Glorious!!
Rich.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/16/06 07:28 PM
Educate me, can you really tell the diff w/ AM/FM tube equipment? I suppose you have to have a REALLY good antenna and pull in a great signal so that the hisses and clicks don't deter, right?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/16/06 08:52 PM
Hello Oldskoolboarder

I think I don't understand your question, however, if you're suggesting that a tube tuner produces hisses and clicks, in the FM band, well, it doesn't. Most AM tuning sections in modern tuners are pretty poor. The Scott has a very sophisticated AM section which reportedly has excellent audio quality for AM.

I don't even get hisses or clicks on AM with my car radio. Why would you think a top of the line tube tuner from a time when folks listened to music on AM and FM would do worse?
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/16/06 09:56 PM
I believe he was referring to the sound quality of typical AM (in the car, handheld radio, etc...).

I suppose the tuner is cool, but I really like the looks of that maple block. A bigger piece would look great as a coffee table.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/16/06 10:37 PM
yeah, what bigwill said. Thanks for the info. Guess I'm just used to crappy car radios. Even my BMW has the worst AM receiver I've ever heard.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/16/06 11:19 PM
Hello BigWill!

Yes, I like the look of that maple block too! I'd go so far as to say, I love it.
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/17/06 02:40 PM
That maple block would go great in the kitchen for cutting/chopping vegetables, etc. Also, you would be assured that your dinner wouldn't be affected by any nasty flavor distortion or loss of harmonic under- and over-flavors. When placed in the kitchen, the board actually isolates the flavor molecules, enhancing the flavor-stage and the imaging of the flavor on the tongue.

Well worth every dime and dollar.
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/17/06 11:12 PM
LOL

Very kind of you to oblige 2x6 with that one.

Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/18/06 03:41 PM
Food cooked in snake oil, despite its detractors' contrary assertions, can be quite tasty.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/18/06 04:06 PM
How does one oil a snake?
Posted By: Ajax Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/18/06 06:44 PM
VERY CAREFULLY!
Posted By: bray Re: Beautiful New Acquisition - 01/19/06 12:28 AM
When I oil my snake, I just......................Oh nevermind.
© Axiom Message Boards