Axiom Home Page
ok. i have some qs8's and i wanted to get the stands for them, but holy crap they are $320.00 CAD a pair? what gives? are they made of gold or something???
I hear they are made of unbreakable space-age polymers that will emit a force-field if approached too rapidly, repelling any would-be assailant.
In reply to:

I hear they are made of unbreakable space-age polymers that will emit a force-field if approached too rapidly, repelling any would-be assailant.

As a QS8 stand owner, I'd like to confirm what you've heard. Yes, it's true. What many people don't realize is that they have an effective radius of 25'... thereby protecting the whole speaker system. Highly recommended.
They are not gold but they are pretty spiffy. See my comments at :

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=HT&Number=126962&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

You can definitely make some inexpensive stands using the "T" brackets to support the speaker and I think with a bit of effort they could look pretty good -- the Axiom stands are just a real nice solution and aren't expensive compared to comparable stands from other vendors.
They are another one of the Axiom products that are custom made, and disgined just the Qs, and that will add some cost to the stands. But as John mentioned, use Google and look at prices for any good quality custom stands and you will see the price is not "rediculously high".
I love axiom, but I have to agree. Those stands are over priced by a large margin IMHO.
If you don't like them, make your own. Or better yet, go check on Ebay.
Compare: Die cast aluminum stands, in black, as tall as possible (still shorter than Axiom's). That's a price for one, there. Axiom's are about $40 more, but considering the specialization and the extra height, I'm not surprised.

Now, I would prefer to wall mount them and save the expense, but if that's the place you want to play, you pay.
I couldn't imagine spending that much on stands right now! I'm pretty happy with my Wood Technology TMT-30 (replaced TMT-24s I had) that I bought from buy.com for a massive $60. Sure they're not cast and they're not solid but oh well!
I'm going to go with a ceiling mount and save a couple hundred bucks and keep my floor space.
© Axiom Message Boards