Axiom Home Page
Posted By: aladinsan Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 03:54 AM
I noticed the custom wood studio and custom feet section of the Axiom site is up and available!

Cool stuff!
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 04:06 AM
Awesome, thanks.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 04:10 AM
Interesting...look in the custom shop under wood, it lists all the current axiom speakers as the "Vassallo Series." Does this mean axiom is releasing a whole new line of speakers?!?
Posted By: aladinsan Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 04:15 AM
I think it references the fact that the existing line-up is available in custom wood!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 04:17 AM
I really like the interface -- right from the split menu at the start (have you tried clicking both the custom vinyl shop and the custom wood shop?) to going through and picking your choices. Somebody spent a bit of time on it. Nice work!

Uh oh... I did notice that this pic from the gallery has an incorrect reflection....

Posted By: spiffnme Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 07:47 AM
A pair of real cherrywood W3VS's is sure tempting!

Hmm...how could I justify $640 speakers in a room I rarely listen to music? They would look so good though!

*sigh* so many wonderful toys to buy - so little money.

Posted By: aladinsan Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 11:29 AM
Is real wood going to impact the speaker performance?

Posted By: FirebirdTN Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 12:11 PM
Arrrgggg!!! Not more than 1 month ago I picked up some M60s, and now they offer real wood veners?

Its okay really. Me being such a poor guy, around $1000 was my budget for a pair of floor standers, so the wood finish would have put me out of my bracket anyway, but they sure look NICE!!!!

As to the question above concerning performance, I don't think they would impact performance at all. If I am not mistaken, the speakers are still consdtucted of MDF, the wood finishes are only veneers.

Also, I just wanted to add that you guys are NUTS around here. No I mean that, really!

When deciding on a pair of speakers, I would have liked to have the M80s, but due to budget and the fact I wanted an easier to drive speaker for my SonyES receiver, I stuck with the 60s. I hear the 80s play "lower" and "louder", but otherwise sound pretty close to each other. Its the "louder" part that makes me think you guys are nuts. The 60s coupled with my over-generously rated 100wpc AVR plays LLLOOUUUDDDD! And it stays CLEAN sounding, even at rediculously high levels. Rarely do I even play loud, as I am afarid I will land in jail violating some noise ordiance or something, and I am in my own home. So I believe you guys with the 80s and separate amps are NUTS!!!

One things I did notice with my 60s; The louder they get, the *BETTER* they sound!

-Alan
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 01:06 PM
In reply to:

Hmm...how could I justify $640 speakers in a room I rarely listen to music?

And why don't you listen to much music in there? Because you don't have a pair of cherry W3VS's in there.

These things are their own justification.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 02:28 PM
Man, Craig, we are really on the same page here. So many toys, so little money...

I looked ever so briefly at the M50VS and quickly closed the browser. I will likely succumb to the temptation to customize them again soon...
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 03:34 PM
Now, tell me that having m80's in rosewood natural stain in high gloss woulndn't drop anyone's jaw who saw them.

Droooool.
Posted By: aladinsan Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 03:57 PM
Will there be an impact to the sound?
Posted By: Tharkun Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 04:10 PM
The design of the Axiom speakers are not changed, the vinyl is replaced with the wood veneer, the sound quality will remian the same. This is my understanding from talking with the Axiom experts, if Amie or Alan see this post perhaps they will have comments as well.
Posted By: BruceH Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 04:52 PM
Given that all dimensions remain identical, any change in sound quality will be unperceiveable. Even if the dimensions (exterior) changed slightly, I still think any difference in sound would be undetectable.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 05:36 PM
I just had a thought...will these fancy schmancy real wood speakers have upgraded grills? It just wouldn't make sense to put all that time and effort into making a super nice speaker, custom wood veneer, hand stained, fancy shiney feet...Then slap the classic axiom plastic grill on them?

What do you think?

Posted By: BruceH Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 06:08 PM
Very good point!
Posted By: aladinsan Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 06:14 PM
On the site, the custom wood variations also include custom grills and feet choices!

I'm still stuck on the impact wood will bring to the sound. I am having a hard time assuming no effect....... I always read reviews that seem to mention the cabinetry.

Posted By: BruceH Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 06:21 PM
Well, in looking at guitars or basses, the different woods resonate to impart a certain tone on the sound (look at all the exotic wood choices) as well as provide good looks. For a speaker, the cabinet should be next to inert (hence why some do the knuckle rap test). The cabinet should not resonante at all so , theoretically, it should not make a difference in sound, just looks.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 06:30 PM
So, who's going to be the first member to get rosewood high gloss and show us some pretty pictures?

Any takers? Eh?
Posted By: Tharkun Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 06:49 PM
Doubt I will be the first, and it will not be the high gloss, but will be replacing the twin 600s with a pair of the EP600VSH in Rosewood with Satin finish.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 06:51 PM
Did I mention I was working on a real wood veneer sports car, Tharkun? I would be honored to have you as my first customer...
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 07:01 PM
I'm with Bruce and Dennis; I cannot imagine that the veneer material of the speaker will have a perceptible effect on the sound.

Craig, I seem to remember Alan saying that - despite some user protests about perceived quality/durability - the speaker grills were designed specifically to ensure acoustic transparency, including resonances and refractions. Like you, I'm curious if they reengineered the grill frame.

Peter, I thought Stevie was still too young for Pinewood Derby?

I think it's great that Axiom is doing this, and they seem to be doing it in the usual Axiom way.
Posted By: aladinsan Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 07:07 PM
Pair Vassallo Series M2 Bookshelf Speakers
$559.00 USD
Wood: Rosewood Stain: Natural
Gloss: Piano Grille: Burnt Sienna
Gold feet

Still choosing a sub. Any excellent rosewood subs that are affordable?

Thoughts on the Rocket UFW-10 Subwoofer?

Posted By: Spoiler Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 09:00 PM
Does anyone know whether the feet can be purchased seperately? My guess is no.... but I wouldn't mind some upgraded shoes for my M80's....
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/05/06 09:01 PM
That's worth a phone call.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/06/06 12:53 AM
In reply to:

Craig, I seem to remember Alan saying that - despite some user protests about perceived quality/durability - the speaker grills were designed specifically to ensure acoustic transparency, including resonances and refractions. Like you, I'm curious if they reengineered the grill frame.

I'm sure most every speaker company designs their grills to be accoustically transparent. Most are sturdier than Axioms. (sorry Axiom, but it's true!)

Posted By: emorphien Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/09/06 08:06 PM
Wow, will they take my M3Tis as a tradein? Those are gorgeous!

I can't see this impacting sound any. The sound would depend most on the structural integrity and structural material of the cabinet (MDF). The skin on the outside should just be a matter of how pretty it is.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Custom wood studio! - 04/09/06 08:55 PM
Again, worth a call. I was kind of thinking about doing that with the M50s, as soon as I get a couple raises...
© Axiom Message Boards