Axiom Home Page
Posted By: HomeDad New Surrounds Tyler Accoustics - 04/05/06 04:24 PM
Finally got my new speakers that originally were intended to go downstairs as a music and 2 channel movie system. After hearing them upstairs as surrounds, they are staying!
I can't compare them to any of the Axiom bookshelf's, but there was really no comparison to my Aperions, the soundstaging and imaging on the Taylo Ref's is far superior to the Aperions and the Taylos just literally disappear in the room. The speakers have a toggle on the back that engages a filter that takes the 600-1200hz range down about 3db, for loud listening.
I did line them up against the M80's, and the 80's pretty much trounced them, making me appreciate the 80's that much more. Sorry I'm not as good at making detailed comparisons as many of you are, someday
Last of all the build and finish of these speakers is beautiful, not shown well in my picture.

Posted By: bugbitten Re: New Surrounds Tyler Accoustics - 04/05/06 05:53 PM
Made right here in the Bluegrass state. Look'in gooood!

Congrats HomeDad.

Posted By: tomtuttle Re: New Surrounds Tyler Accoustics - 04/05/06 06:05 PM
Cool.

They look very nice. And BIG.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Surrounds Tyler Accoustics - 04/05/06 06:49 PM
I like the old console stereo you have in the background. Looks like it's in great condition.

Oh, and the speaker looks great, too!
Posted By: Tharkun Re: New Surrounds Tyler Accoustics - 04/05/06 07:59 PM
Nice looking speaker and stand, the console looks to be from the late 60 early 70s ?
Posted By: HomeDad Re: New Surrounds Tyler Accoustics - 04/05/06 08:31 PM
Console is a Curtis Mathis, from the mid sixties I believe, my mom bought it new when we were kids, radio and phono still work.
Posted By: Tharkun Re: New Surrounds Tyler Accoustics - 04/05/06 08:36 PM
Could not rememeber the CM name. lol
Posted By: curtis Re: New Surrounds Tyler Accoustics - 04/05/06 08:39 PM
That console looks very much like the one my Parents had in the sixties. I spilled milk in the top opening and the radio stopped working....my Father was not too happy...but two days later, it started working again.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: New Surrounds Tyler Accoustics - 04/06/06 01:04 AM
Those are nice lookin' speakers, HomeDad! And not to beat a dead horse, but my parents have an old console too.
Posted By: real80sman Re: New Surrounds Tyler Accoustics - 04/06/06 02:05 AM
LOL! My parents had one in the 70's as well - a "Fleetwood" with a Garrard turntable. We called it the "Hi-Fi". All the pots were loaded with dust it was scratch heaven.

I always thought it would be neat to take one and drop a killer amp & speakers into it.
Posted By: alan Re: New Surrounds Tyler Accoustics - 04/06/06 08:28 PM
Curtis,

Hilarious! Maybe the heat from the tubes curdled the milk and it turned into cheese. . .which didn't interfere with things.

Regards,
Posted By: alan Re: New Surrounds Tyler Accoustics - 04/06/06 08:33 PM
real80sman,

LOL again! "Fleetwood"! I think it was the house brand of Sears, which had an alliance with a Canadian department store chain called Simpsons (now gone). I sure remember Fleetwood consoles. . .

Regards,
Posted By: jorge016 Re: New Surrounds Tyler Accoustics - 04/06/06 09:45 PM
Alan, you are right it was Sears house brand. I still remember the day (about 1966) my Dad brought home his console and cranked it up. Al Hirt's trumpet on a track called Java rattled dishes of the shelves in my Mom's dining room. I had the pleasure of desacrating it with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath in the mid-70"s.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: New Surrounds Tyler Accoustics - 04/07/06 06:08 PM
For those of you who like the Old stuff, another piece from my childhood, used to listen to the Dodger games on this

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: New Surrounds Tyler Accoustics - 04/07/06 06:58 PM
I like your Zenith! Here's a vintage beauty from Scott

And, here's a picture of a Scott Stereomaster which I just picked up from ebay - getting all new caps and tubes.

BTW, these Scotts sound great, and they have a look (your Zenith too) such that you'd expect decent reception from the planet Zarkon.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Surrounds Tyler Accoustics - 04/07/06 08:21 PM
In reply to:

the planet Zarkon.

I've heard that even transitors sound musical there.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: New Surrounds Tyler Accoustics - 04/07/06 09:41 PM
I like that Scott, kinda Buck Rogers.
© Axiom Message Boards